++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jan 14, 2011 at 11:46 AM Post #811 of 29,490
Hey, I'm looking for some closed headphones, preferably light weight for portability, doesn't require an amp, and under $150 (new or used). I prefer IEMs but when I have to take them out a lot, it causes iritation so I want to have a set of cans during those times.

I currently have the Grado SR80i and Audeo PFEs, both of which I really like. Also have the MEE M11P for my iPhone and MEE M6 as a set of beaters. I do have a Fiio E5 amp to pair them with but would prefer the amp be only an optional thing.

I mostly listen to progressive metal and rock, symphonic metal, a little power metal and the occasional band with growls. Stuff like Ayreon, Kamelot, Riverside, Seventh Wonder, Opeth, After Forever, Blind Guardian, Cynic, Diablo Swing Orchestra, Within Temptation, Orphaned Land, Therion, Sabaton
Electronic music such as VNV Nation, Apoptygma Berzerk, Daft Punk, Armin Van Buuren
Mashup/Remix DJs which can be pretty much every genre but you can take a look at Djs From Mars for what I listen to the most.

I was using a Zune HD as my source until I lost that about 3 weeks ago. I'll likely pick up another Zune HD the next time they're on sale (although I'm willing to take suggestions on this too). Using my iPhone in the mean time.

Right now I'm looking at used Phiaton MS400 or Sennheiser HD25-1 II
One review said the Phiaton's were good for female vocals which would be a plus for me. The HD25s were being pushed in another thread I found.
Any other suggestions or input on the current options?

Jan 14, 2011 at 12:11 PM Post #813 of 29,490
valentin02: Dunno, it depends. You seem to listen to a very wide genre of music. What headphones are you using now?

Jibrille: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/433318/shootout-65-portable-headphones-reviewed-tdk-wr700-akg-k430-added-01-08

Jan 14, 2011 at 12:37 PM Post #814 of 29,490
Hi everyone!

I'm looking for a pair of open or closed headphones in the price range of ~$150.00
I currently own a pair of UE IEMs (Super.fi 5 pro) and I love them, but I'd like to own a pair of full-sized headphones as well.

I listen to metal, progressive metal, rock and  acoustic indie music. So basically music with electric or acoustic guitar and/or heavy drum work. 
i.e Paul Gilbert, Dream Theater, Daphnie Loves Derby, Kill Switch Engage, Tegan and Sara, David Choi, The Donnas, Pantera...

Suggestions? Thanks :)

Ava

Jan 14, 2011 at 12:42 PM Post #815 of 29,490

Quote:
Hi everyone!

I'm looking for a pair of open or closed headphones in the price range of ~$150.00
I currently own a pair of UE IEMs (Super.fi 5 pro) and I love them, but I'd like to own a pair of full-sized headphones as well.

I listen to metal, progressive metal, rock and  acoustic indie music. So basically music with electric or acoustic guitar and/or heavy drum work. 
i.e Paul Gilbert, Dream Theater, Daphnie Loves Derby, Kill Switch Engage, Tegan and Sara, David Choi, The Donnas, Pantera...

Ava

M50's

Jan 14, 2011 at 12:48 PM Post #816 of 29,490
I've been using only my brother's beats studio and was quite satisfied with it in everyway. I was going to get the beats pro but then I heard that the beats were high in price for its aesthetics. ( I was very new to headphones) So I decided to check out the internet for better headphones with nicer sound qualities. Right now I only have the beats IEM and hate it.

Jan 14, 2011 at 12:52 PM Post #817 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi everyone!

Ava

Grados are a good fit for most of those.  They're great with metal and rock.

Jan 14, 2011 at 1:13 PM Post #819 of 29,490
Quote:
Do you have any suggestions as to which ones?

For the most part they're all pretty similar.  As you go up their line, they can safely be described as "the same, but better" so it just depends on your budget.

In your price range there are the SR125i and the Alessandro MS1i.  FWIR the SR125is are brighter than the MS1is.  I've never heard either of those, but I have owned SR80s and SR325is in the past and have heard other Grados at meets.

Jan 14, 2011 at 1:17 PM Post #820 of 29,490

Quote:
guys pick me choose a headphone for me as a birthday gift.my girlfriend is going to buy me one hehehe...i have the HD650 and its paired with my La Figaro 336C tube head amp (similar with darkvoice 336se)..i have been thinking about the Beyer DT990 600Ohm one.i would like my headphone to play some of my rnb and hip hop songs (because the hd650 is not a rnb and hip hop cans IMO)...so guys help me choose a new headphones..

thank you..

ps..Arghhh head-fi.org is making me broke lately..!!! (but i like it 
beyersmile.png
 VERYMUCH)

I would perhaps lean more towards the DT770 for more thump in the bass.

Quote:
Hello! Need help.

I'm interested in AKG K240, K240 mkII, K242, K601 and K701. Which one to buy? I have homemade amp, planning DAC and I listen on PC. I also need them for simracing and gaming so they must be comfortable. I have K530 at the moment.

K240 - detachable cable
K240 mkII - detachable cable, velour pads in box
K242 - people don't like them as K240?
K601 - high impedance, probably one disadvantage for me, better headband than K701
K701 - stupid headband

I also want velour earpads, so it would be necessary to replace them on K240. I read about DT770 earpads but don't know how they put them there. I can buy pads for 240 mk II, but DT770 looks fine. I can also make my own short cable.

I ordered K242 but they were out of stock and they cancelled my order. But I have more time for thinking now which is good.

My vote goes towards the K240mkii. Nice balanced sound with a decent low end, good value for the price, and not as picky as the K701 in regards to amping.

Quote:
So, I've decided to go with the Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Professional Headphones ATHM50  and the FiiO E5 amp. Is this a good idea?

In my opinion, the M50 does not really require an amp to sound good. The e5 is a super cheap puchase though, and it's easy to sell if you don't like it.

The M50 is very popular here, although personally I am not a fan of the sucked out mids and feel that they are a bit overrated. Give me the Shure 840/750 or M-Audio Q40 or a Phiaton anyday.

Quote:
Hey, I'm looking for some closed headphones, preferably light weight for portability, doesn't require an amp, and under $150 (new or used). I prefer IEMs but when I have to take them out a lot, it causes iritation so I want to have a set of cans during those times.

I currently have the Grado SR80i and Audeo PFEs, both of which I really like. Also have the MEE M11P for my iPhone and MEE M6 as a set of beaters. I do have a Fiio E5 amp to pair them with but would prefer the amp be only an optional thing.

I mostly listen to progressive metal and rock, symphonic metal, a little power metal and the occasional band with growls. Stuff like Ayreon, Kamelot, Riverside, Seventh Wonder, Opeth, After Forever, Blind Guardian, Cynic, Diablo Swing Orchestra, Within Temptation, Orphaned Land, Therion, Sabaton
Electronic music such as VNV Nation, Apoptygma Berzerk, Daft Punk, Armin Van Buuren
Mashup/Remix DJs which can be pretty much every genre but you can take a look at Djs From Mars for what I listen to the most.

I was using a Zune HD as my source until I lost that about 3 weeks ago. I'll likely pick up another Zune HD the next time they're on sale (although I'm willing to take suggestions on this too). Using my iPhone in the mean time.

Right now I'm looking at used Phiaton MS400 or Sennheiser HD25-1 II
One review said the Phiaton's were good for female vocals which would be a plus for me. The HD25s were being pushed in another thread I found.
Any other suggestions or input on the current options?

I absolutely love my Phiaton MS400. It's got a heavy bottom end and really rich mids that bring out any vocals. Definitely a coloured and "fun" sound.

The HD25 is an industry workhorse and is very popular in the DJ scene. Its drivers have been criticized for being outdated, yet it still remains popular and is one of the most durable sets you can purchase. The sound is more aggressive and bright compared to the MS400's laid back and warm signature.

Another brand to perhaps look into us Ultrasone. I find they work well with prog and metal genres, although their S-Logic tends to be in the "love it or hate it" category.

Quote:
Hi everyone!

Ava

Echoing my suggestions to the guy above you, an Ultrasone might be to your liking. For open, Grados might also work.

Quote:
valentino02 said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

I've been using only my brother's beats studio and was quite satisfied with it in everyway. I was going to get the beats pro but then I heard that the beats were high in price for its aesthetics. ( I was very new to headphones) So I decided to check out the internet for better headphones with nicer sound qualities. Right now I only have the beats IEM and hate it.

A few suggestions:
Shure SRH750DJ
Audio Technica ATH-M50
Beyerdynamic DT770

Jan 14, 2011 at 1:29 PM Post #821 of 29,490
I want to buy headphones from someone on this site(preferred)- generally, best bang for my buck, something genuine.  I am a college student. 

Price Limit: $120
Preferred(I will do used): $100

About What I Want:
1. Closed Cans.  I listen to alternative music, and people are not going to want to hear what I am listening to.  This will be playing a lot of old school goth music(so the lows need to stand out), alternative rock, opera rock, rock with violins, maybe some electronica.
2. Noise Cancel(if possible)-  I have aspergers.  I am a college student and I need to be able to filter out background noise to be able to do my schoolwork.  I have an inability to do this without having headphones.  Having the ability to hear things around me while these are on is a definite no-no, and I cant do my homework without headphones.

About What I Prefer:
1. More Feminine or Sleek Looking Headphone(ex: Audio-Technica ATH-ES7).  I am a female so obscenely large headphones are going to look stupid.
2. Removable cord.  I have bad luck with one side cutting out. I had JVC HA-RX900s stop working in a week(I didnt drop it, I think they were just defective...), and Sennheiser HD202 lasted a little shorter than a year(I beat these up, so I am pleased with the length this lasted, but I dont want to keep buying headphones).    To me the senns were a better headphone.  I had comfort issues with the Senns and the JVCs are way too large.
3. A lot of mod potential.  Im in school for electrical engineering, so modding is something im will.
4. I am going to be porting these with my laptop in a laptop case, so they need to be durable.  I will also be using them with my desktop, so a longer length cord(but not obscenely long) would be nice.

Jan 14, 2011 at 1:44 PM Post #822 of 29,490
Quote:
I want to buy headphones from someone on this site(preferred)- generally, best bang for my buck, something genuine.  I am a college student. 

Price Limit: $120
Preferred(I will do used): $100

About What I Want:
1. Closed Cans.  I listen to alternative music, and people are not going to want to hear what I am listening to.  This will be playing a lot of old school goth music(so the lows need to stand out), alternative rock, opera rock, rock with violins, maybe some electronica.
2. Noise Cancel(if possible)-  I have aspergers.  I am a college student and I need to be able to filter out background noise to be able to do my schoolwork.  I have an inability to do this without having headphones.  Having the ability to hear things around me while these are on is a definite no-no, and I cant do my homework without headphones.

About What I Prefer:
1. More Feminine or Sleek Looking Headphone(ex: Audio-Technica ATH-ES7).  I am a female so obscenely large headphones are going to look stupid.
2. Removable cord.  I have bad luck with one side cutting out. I had JVC HA-RX900s stop working in a week(I didnt drop it, I think they were just defective...), and Sennheiser HD202 lasted a little shorter than a year(I beat these up, so I am pleased with the length this lasted, but I dont want to keep buying headphones).    To me the senns were a better headphone.  I had comfort issues with the Senns and the JVCs are way too large.
3. A lot of mod potential.  Im in school for electrical engineering, so modding is something im will.
4. I am going to be porting these with my laptop in a laptop case, so they need to be durable.  I will also be using them with my desktop, so a longer length cord(but not obscenely long) would be nice.

That's a lot of requirements.  For a start, I don't know of anything "sleek" looking that has a removable cable.  The closest I can think of are the Sony Z1000s, but those are more than $500...

Besides that, you aren't going to find anything with worthwhile noise canceling that cheap.  About the only NC 'phones that isolate better than normal circumaural closed 'phones are bose QCs and Sennheiser PCX 350/450, which are also way out of your budget.

Have you considered IEMs?  They're tiny, isolate well, and there are plenty with replaceable cables these days, though I'm not sure if are any with replaceable cables in your budget.

Jan 14, 2011 at 1:49 PM Post #823 of 29,490
Understandable..

The "What I want" list should be what I most prefer(Im not solid on the requirements because I know that I cant do everything for that cost..or even probably half of it).  And the "preferable" list should be called "would be nice"......

Can I have some recommendations that fulfill some requirements but not others?

For the record, I am just running these through onboard audio on a desktop, not some expensive equipment.  Probably wont make much of a difference given my pricerange.  I prefer removable cable over anything else on "nice to have" list....though headphones as big as the Senn HD202 or smaller would be nice..

By sleek..., I mean something thats not a full-ear headphone in size.

Jan 14, 2011 at 2:19 PM Post #824 of 29,490
Almost nothing that's not full size is likely to have the isolation you want.  Halfway decent supraural NC 'phones are out of you budget as well and nearly all of the non-NC ones have poor isolation.

You could get something like the Audio Technica M50s which are closed and durable with decent isolation, but you might find them too big.  There are probably a few slightly cheaper options available since sound quality isn't a huge deal to you, but I'm not familiar with any myself.

I think you should look into IEMs.  They're small and they've got tons of isolation.  I can't think of anything else that meets as many of your requirements. 

Jan 14, 2011 at 2:43 PM Post #825 of 29,490
Hello, first time poster here.

I am contemplating a new headphone purchase and could use some help.  I currently own Audio Technica ATH-AD700's but am looking for something that is a bit smaller (for travel) w/ more bass.  I was going to pull the trigger on the ATH-M50's at HeadRoom, but seeing as they are on a 4-8 week leadtime I've been looking around this site and debating the DENON AH-D1100 as well.  I will listen direct from iTouch (when mobile) 30%, direct from MacBook (for movies) 20% & from my Aura Note for music (and sometimes movies) 50%.  I listen to Bon Iver, Mumford & Sons, Fleet Foxes, Melody Gardot, Julie London, Ray Charles, The Black Keys.  Should I be considering something from Grado?  Mainly, I'm trying to find the manufacturer that would mesh with my listening preferences. 

I did try the B&W P5 Mobile's from the Apple Store but I ended up returning them.  I loved the size (for travel) and the design aesthetic of these, but the sound and comfort (too much clamping force!) were lacking so I couldn't justify the $300 for them.  In the longer term, I may be looking for a larger full size (DENON AH-D2000?) to replace my ATH-AD700's, but I thought something in the $150 range that would give me a taste of what to expect from a manufacturer and give me something to travel with would be a good start?

Also, is HeadRoom the best way to audition headphones?  I'm finding it frustrating that I can't easily go out and audition all of these!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back