++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jan 14, 2011 at 12:21 AM Post #796 of 29,490
Figured I would start here rather than creating my own thread... Here's my deal... I received a $500 GC to amazon and would like to take my first step into hifi head audio!  Trying to keep the budget as close to $500 while maximizing the quality/value of performance.  Looking for a set of cans for home use so portability is less of a concern.  Would be using a combination of PC, PS3, laptop, and Iphone for a source so need a versatile solution.  Also listen to a wide array of music:  Beatles, Skynrd, Carlos Vives, Fugees, Bob Marley, etc.. so need a versatile set of cans.  I really enjoy live recordings so need a solid soundstage.

Thus far I'm leaning towards 2 options:

1) Blow entire budget on: Denon D7000 + FiiO E7 = $838
2) Denon D5000 + E7/E9 & L3 LOD = $643

Option 2 seems to be the better value and provides a solid dac/amp to power the D5... Not sure I would see any significant gains spending the extra $200 on the D7?  The K701/K702 option also looks interesting but not sure if they're in the same class as D5/D7 any thoughs on this? Grado RS2, Maestro GMP 450, Senn HD650, ATH W5000 are all options as well.  Would love to hear your thoughts/input!

Unfortunately I don't have the ability to demo any sets before purchasing so this will have to be based upon word of mouth.  Cheers :)

Jan 14, 2011 at 2:07 AM Post #798 of 29,490

Quote:
I need new headphones asap. Going back from Germany in a few days.

For portable, on the go use.

Hd 25-1 ii or tma-1?

Or another pair of different headphones?

Without much other info to go on... I say pick the HD25-1-ii

Quote:
Alright so I got my m50's today and I'm not too impressed with the bass. I realize that I haven't even burned them in much but will it change the bass that much if I'm not even impressed right now? Do I need some better headphones for bass (under $150). I am using these phones hooked up straight to the ipod... maybe that's the problem. I'm trying to hold off on an amp until I stock up some more cash.

As some others mentioned, give your ears a while to adjust to non bloated bass. That said, I'm not a fan of the M50 and I prefer the sound of the Shure 840 and M-Audio Q40 (the latter especially for bass)

Quote:
Figured I would start here rather than creating my own thread... Here's my deal... I received a $500 GC to amazon and would like to take my first step into hifi head audio!  Trying to keep the budget as close to $500 while maximizing the quality/value of performance.  Looking for a set of cans for home use so portability is less of a concern.  Would be using a combination of PC, PS3, laptop, and Iphone for a source so need a versatile solution.  Also listen to a wide array of music:  Beatles, Skynrd, Carlos Vives, Fugees, Bob Marley, etc.. so need a versatile set of cans.  I really enjoy live recordings so need a solid soundstage.

Thus far I'm leaning towards 2 options:

1) Blow entire budget on: Denon D7000 + FiiO E7 = $838
2) Denon D5000 + E7/E9 & L3 LOD = $643

Option 2 seems to be the better value and provides a solid dac/amp to power the D5... Not sure I would see any significant gains spending the extra $200 on the D7?  The K701/K702 option also looks interesting but not sure if they're in the same class as D5/D7 any thoughs on this? Grado RS2, Maestro GMP 450, Senn HD650, ATH W5000 are all options as well.  Would love to hear your thoughts/input!

Unfortunately I don't have the ability to demo any sets before purchasing so this will have to be based upon word of mouth.  Cheers :)

Go with option 2, and I would also highly recommend looking into some jmoney (J$) earpads which I would consider nearly mandatory for the Denons.

I as not a big fan of the K701/2 and feel the Denons are a better all purpose headphone (the AKGs are nice for some classical and acoustic, but that's about it). The Senn HD650 is also an excellent all-rounder, but you're pushing at your price limit.

For some other options on Amazon, look up "audiophile products" which will bring up a lot of Firestone gear.

Quote:
I'm looking to upgrade from my current headphones Koss UR40's which I've lived with for a while now. I've decided that I do not want to spend more then $100 at the moment and I'm very firm on that. I've scoped out 2 different headphones including the Shure SRH440 and the Senn. HD448. I also found some decent deals on the HD555 and was wondering how the 555's compare to these other two headphones? I listen to just about all music so it needs to be able to handle most music at least competently. Which of these headphones would be best for me?

The best deal would be to get the 555 and mod it into a 595 (very simply; do a search on the forums here). The open full sized Senns are excellent all-purpose headphones. I wasn't too impressed with the 448 and it's rolled off bass and average soundstage. The Shure 440 is good, though bang for the buck I would give to the Senn 555. The Shure is portable and closed though, so if those aspects are important to you than go with that.

Jan 14, 2011 at 8:01 AM Post #800 of 29,490
guys pick me choose a headphone for me as a birthday gift.my girlfriend is going to buy me one hehehe...i have the HD650 and its paired with my La Figaro 336C tube head amp (similar with darkvoice 336se)..i have been thinking about the Beyer DT990 600Ohm one.i would like my headphone to play some of my rnb and hip hop songs (because the hd650 is not a rnb and hip hop cans IMO)...so guys help me choose a new headphones..

thank you..

ps..Arghhh head-fi.org is making me broke lately..!!! (but i like it 
beyersmile.png
 VERYMUCH)

Jan 14, 2011 at 8:14 AM Post #801 of 29,490
Hey, I know, it's me again. :frowning2:
I've been looking at your suggestion really closely until I stumbled over the M-50s. I heard that they were quite comfortable, have pretty good isolation and have an all around sound for many genres of music. Would buying the M-50s be a wise idea? If yes, please suggest a suitable amp for them and perhaps other headphones as well. Many thanks. : ))

Jan 14, 2011 at 9:42 AM Post #802 of 29,490

Quote:
Hey, I know, it's me again. :frowning2:
I've been looking at your suggestion really closely until I stumbled over the M-50s. I heard that they were quite comfortable, have pretty good isolation and have an all around sound for many genres of music. Would buying the M-50s be a wise idea? If yes, please suggest a suitable amp for them and perhaps other headphones as well. Many thanks. : ))

Amp wise I have no Idea but Headphones wise The shure dj750 is another can worth looking at.

Jan 14, 2011 at 10:18 AM Post #803 of 29,490
Hello! Need help.

I'm interested in AKG K240, K240 mkII, K242, K601 and K701. Which one to buy? I have homemade amp, planning DAC and I listen on PC. I also need them for simracing and gaming so they must be comfortable. I have K530 at the moment.

K240 - detachable cable
K240 mkII - detachable cable, velour pads in box
K242 - people don't like them as K240?
K601 - high impedance, probably one disadvantage for me, better headband than K701
K701 - stupid headband

I also want velour earpads, so it would be necessary to replace them on K240. I read about DT770 earpads but don't know how they put them there. I can buy pads for 240 mk II, but DT770 looks fine. I can also make my own short cable.

I ordered K242 but they were out of stock and they cancelled my order. But I have more time for thinking now which is good.

Jan 14, 2011 at 11:05 AM Post #807 of 29,490
It's what I have and it's working pretty well. I think I'm going to buy an LOD for my ipod because I heard it causes noticeable change in the sound quality.

Quote:
So, I've decided to go with the Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Professional Headphones ATHM50  and the FiiO E5 amp. Is this a good idea?

Jan 14, 2011 at 11:33 AM Post #809 of 29,490
I just feel that the e5 is a pretty awesome amp for its price. I also don't have any amps right know (except a marshall avt-100 guitar amp -.-) so I imagined that since I'll be ordering internationally I might as well get an amp as well. Could you please enlarge on what you mean by 'an E5 is anywhere near powerful enough for the m50.' Thanks in advance. : ) 

Jan 14, 2011 at 11:41 AM Post #810 of 29,490
I think this review on the E5 is a good reality check for anyone considering an "ultra budget" amp:
http://www.trustedreviews.com/mp3/review/2009/03/15/FiiO-E5-Headphone-Amplifier/p4

Price does not always indicate quality, but below a certain price point, one shouldn't expect miracles. As the review noted, the E5 is beneficial if your player just can't get your headphones loud enough, or you want bass boost--and for the latter, please try using your music player's EQ first.

Also remember that if an amp COMPLETELY changes the sound of your headphones, then the amp is not doing what an amp is meant to do (traditionally speaking). Traditionally, the ideal amp simply amplifies sound, without distortion. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back