++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jan 12, 2011 at 11:25 PM Post #781 of 29,490

Ah, I can;t believe I overlooked that, thankyou! So if I connect the LOD to my E5 will I still hear a considerable difference in sound quality as oppose to just the normal audio output without the amp or even with the amp? (I understand that the E5 itself is not a very good amp) Is the LOD only as good as the amp you pair it with?

Quote:

Quote:
yea it did but what I was trying to get across is that I want to get rid of using the E5 altogether. If I had the second LOD, it has one end going into the ipod and the other end is a male. My headphones obviously have another male at the end of them. Thus creating the need for a female to female. If I were to have the first LOD though that would eliminate the issue.

OH. Ok now I get it.

You wanted to do this:
iPod > LOD > Headphones

You don't want to do that. Ever. Remember, a LOD takes a line level signal from your iPod--which also means you cannot adjust the volume on your iPod.
LODs must always be used with an amp; LODs are useless without an amp.

Jan 12, 2011 at 11:27 PM Post #782 of 29,490
What are some headphones that sound like the beats except cheaper?  I mean around the 100-250 level.  Lot's of people at school ask me and i always say that the ath-m50s and shure 750djs but are there any other headphones that resemble a similar style?

Jan 13, 2011 at 12:03 AM Post #783 of 29,490

Quote:
Ah, I can;t believe I overlooked that, thankyou! So if I connect the LOD to my E5 will I still hear a considerable difference in sound quality as oppose to just the normal audio output without the amp or even with the amp? (I understand that the E5 itself is not a very good amp) Is the LOD only as good as the amp you pair it with?

Well, I don't have an E5 myself and the last time I heard one was a long time ago. However, I think the potential improvement of most amps is summed up pretty well in this review of the E5:
"If you already get a sound you're happy with at between the 50 and 70 per cent volume mark, you still might get an improvement from the E5, but don't expect any miracles."

And yes, I think a LOD is only as good as the amp you pair it with.

Please keep in mind that the above 2 opinions are somewhat contentious on Head-Fi (e.g.: some will argue for LODs having differences in sound quality), although it is fair to say that at entry level, there is less debate on what I have stated.

Quote:
What are some headphones that sound like the beats except cheaper?  I mean around the 100-250 level.  Lot's of people at school ask me and i always say that the ath-m50s and shure 750djs but are there any other headphones that resemble a similar style?

Not sure if these fit the price range, but they sure fit the look:
http://www.fannywang.com/
http://sleekby50.com/
http://www.soulbyludacris.com/

Jan 13, 2011 at 8:00 AM Post #784 of 29,490
@maverickronin
Thanks for the great reply!! It was very helpful. But I'm still floating about the Beyerdynamic series. If I love listening to the guitar (acoustic and electric), vocals, bass, drums, keyboards with both slow and fast pace songs, could you perhaps recommend me specific models with an amp? That would be very nice : )) Thanks. Btw, should I reconsider the beats pro and the AKG Q701?

Jan 13, 2011 at 9:30 AM Post #785 of 29,490
What kind music do you listen to? what environment do you plan to use them (noisy, quite, home, street?) what source do you plan to plug them into? Do you have amplifier? What kind sound do you like (bass, treble, middle, warm, bright, dark, bassy?).

Quote:
please recommend 300$ headphones

Jan 13, 2011 at 9:59 AM Post #786 of 29,490
I need new headphones asap. Going back from Germany in a few days.

For portable, on the go use.

Hd 25-1 ii or tma-1?

Or another pair of different headphones?

Jan 13, 2011 at 2:07 PM Post #787 of 29,490
Quote:
@maverickronin
Thanks for the great reply!! It was very helpful. But I'm still floating about the Beyerdynamic series. If I love listening to the guitar (acoustic and electric), vocals, bass, drums, keyboards with both slow and fast pace songs, could you perhaps recommend me specific models with an amp? That would be very nice : )) Thanks. Btw, should I reconsider the beats pro and the AKG Q701?

I haven't heard the beats pro so I can't tell you anything about them, but I can say that you should avoid the 701s if you are going to be using them in noisy environments.  They are open with almost no isolation and you'll have to crank the volume to compete with outside noise, which is bad for your hearing.

I'm pretty much out of suggestions for you, though I can recommend that you look into a few other models.  I haven't heard these myself, but they may be worth checking out.

AIAIAI TMA-1
Sennheiser HD25-II
KRK KNS 8400 and KNS 6400 (not actually released yet, but will be out soon)
Audio Technica ESW9A and ES10
Sony Z1000
Beyerdynamic DT250

What those have in common is that they are closed and should have at least moderate isolation.  They aren't to huge either, so you should be able to use them on the go.

Jan 13, 2011 at 8:30 PM Post #788 of 29,490
I have the HD 25-1: they give great isolation, probably more than one normally expects from such small cups, but can clamp hard. Refer to the many HD 25 threads on how to loosen them up. Sound is quite clean, perhaps a slight tendency towards sibilance/sharpness--this may be because they are designed and used for monitoring work. These headphones do not fold up for storage (although they are not big to begin with, and very hardy). Comes in black, or in a more expensive Adidas Originals version that is black with blue accents.

Have tried the DT 250: sound appears very pleasant and un-coloured; one might say it sounds very natural. Ear cups are large (going around the entire ear) but very flat--it also folds up for storage. Relatively lightweight. Also built for monitoring work. These also seem hardy, and come only in grey as far as I can know. 

Both pairs of headphones have moderate impedance ratings (70 and 80 ohms, respectively) and have high to moderately high sensitivity (120 and 100 dB), which means they should get loud enough out of an iPod alone.

Quote:
Quote:
@maverickronin

I haven't heard the beats pro so I can't tell you anything about them, but I can say that you should avoid the 701s if you are going to be using them in noisy environments.  They are open with almost no isolation and you'll have to crank the volume to compete with outside noise, which is bad for your hearing.

I'm pretty much out of suggestions for you, though I can recommend that you look into a few other models.  I haven't heard these myself, but they may be worth checking out.

AIAIAI TMA-1
Sennheiser HD25-II
KRK KNS 8400 and KNS 6400 (not actually released yet, but will be out soon)
Audio Technica ESW9A and ES10
Sony Z1000
Beyerdynamic DT250

What those have in common is that they are closed and should have at least moderate isolation.  They aren't to huge either, so you should be able to use them on the go.

Jan 13, 2011 at 10:53 PM Post #790 of 29,490
Alright so I got my m50's today and I'm not too impressed with the bass. I realize that I haven't even burned them in much but will it change the bass that much if I'm not even impressed right now? Do I need some better headphones for bass (under $150). I am using these phones hooked up straight to the ipod... maybe that's the problem. I'm trying to hold off on an amp until I stock up some more cash.

Jan 13, 2011 at 11:17 PM Post #792 of 29,490

Quote:
Alright so I got my m50's today and I'm not too impressed with the bass. I realize that I haven't even burned them in much but will it change the bass that much if I'm not even impressed right now? Do I need some better headphones for bass (under $150). I am using these phones hooked up straight to the ipod... maybe that's the problem. I'm trying to hold off on an amp until I stock up some more cash.

The m50s are not known for their bass prowess and if you wanted a better quality in the bass department, the Shure 750 is noticeably nicer.  It hits really deep but its very smooth, meaning its not BOOMY.  Maybe even a used DT770 or a Shure 750 DJ may be more to your liking.  

Jan 13, 2011 at 11:22 PM Post #793 of 29,490

Quote:

You're probably used to bloated bass. Give your ears time to adjust. Also, did you buy from an authorised dealer?

Jan 13, 2011 at 11:28 PM Post #794 of 29,490
Yea I used amazon and I got the same box as many others (white). To the other question, yes, I did turn on the Bass Booster EQ on the iPod. I kind of agree with what you're saying though. These are my first real pair of headphones and I am very used to the big boomy bass. I've grown accustomed to it but eventually I realized how much it drowned out the rest of songs. I think I'm going to stick with these for a while and see if they grow on me.
Quote:
Quote:

You're probably used to bloated bass. Give your ears time to adjust. Also, did you buy from an authorised dealer?

Jan 14, 2011 at 12:17 AM Post #795 of 29,490

Quote:
Yea I used amazon and I got the same box as many others (white). To the other question, yes, I did turn on the Bass Booster EQ on the iPod. I kind of agree with what you're saying though. These are my first real pair of headphones and I am very used to the big boomy bass. I've grown accustomed to it but eventually I realized how much it drowned out the rest of songs. I think I'm going to stick with these for a while and see if they grow on me.
Quote:
Quote:

Burn in won't increase bass quantity but it should improve the quality. When I first got my M50 I found the bass became less muddy and in turn became more distinct and defined. It stood out more and gave the impression of more bass.

I'd recommend you turn the crappy preset eq off. Try to get your ears to adjust to good bass. If you still find it lacking after some time you may have to look at bass monsters like the Sony XB cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back