Best closed Headphones within $300- $450
Jan 3, 2013 at 10:49 PM Post #106 of 156
Quote:
MDR does seem like a good choice :) 

Can anyone offer me a comparison between the MDR-1R and the Z100/7520's please.?

what everyone as mentioned so far

1. Beyer DT770
2. Sony MDR-1R 
3. Sennheiser Momentum
4. AKG K702
5. V-Moda M100
6. Sony Z100/7520

which ones are a no-go so far, it's hard to keep on track on what people's opinions are when we change subjects very quickly. :) (if people can use that table and and express to me which ones i shouldn't go for than id really appreciate it)

None are a no-go.
That's an exceptional list of headphones you've compiled there.

Even if you bought and listened to all of them, 
you might still not be fully certain of your favorite..

Jan 3, 2013 at 11:14 PM Post #107 of 156
OP, just take it easy and start with the much cost friendlier ones. Once you have a steady income, you can always upgrade later.

So my recommendation changed to a Senn HD202  
biggrin.gif

Jan 4, 2013 at 7:17 AM Post #108 of 156
A couple of things for the OP. The first thing you need to decide is whether you want open or closed headphones. Unless you need them closed because you plan to use them out and about, I'd go for open. In general, open phones give you better soundstaging and instrument separation. Are you based in Sydney? If you are, find a good hifi shop and go an try some out. There's one on King St in Newtown that stocks the AKGs as well as the top sennheisers, they will let you take your own music in and have a good listen. You can also try the Momentums in most Apple stores and I suspect you could try the Sony's in a Sony store. Once you've had a listen to a few, if you're still unsure then come back here and you'll have some reference points to help you wade through the different opinions you get here.

Lastly, go with your gut. All the headphones you are considering here are good, if one of them jumps at you just go with it, even if it is just because you like the look of them (that's at least 50% of the enjoyment anyway!). As I suspect you are discovering, the more you read here, the more confused you get!

Mar 1, 2013 at 3:20 AM Post #109 of 156
1. Beyer DT770
2. Sony MDR-1R 
3. Sennheiser Momentum
4. AKG K702
5. V-Moda M100
6. Sony Z100/7520

heyheyhey, didja decide on one yet????

i was in the same boat as you looking at $300ish portable closed headphones and honestly your final list is baller.

You really need to demo them at this point. Honestly, the differences between these headphones are quite subtle and it takes a while to hear them. I would say instead of the open AKG K702, you should look to get the K550/K551 since they are closed.

Best Buy has AKG K550 & the Sennheiser Momentum for you to demo. Go there & buy both. Listen to both & compare. Take the full 30 days to audition & make sure to let them "burn-in." You can do direct A-B comparisons, and then listen to one exclusively for a few days, then the other for a few days. IF you can tell the difference between these two based on sound alone, then decide what qualities you like better. Honestly, I doubt you will really be able to tell the sound quality difference. In that case, keep the one that fits you better. If they are both uncomfortable, buy the Sony MDR-1R as they are supposed to have the best comfort. 

If you can tell the sound quality difference, then rinse and repeat this process (return both, buy the one you liked best) go to a sony store & repeat with the Sony MDR-1R & Sony Z1000 if there is a sony store near you.

If those two headphones just do not have enough bass for you, buy the V-Moda M100 (or Beyer). There is a 60 day return policy for V-Moda. Compare those with whichever one you liked best. If M100 is uncomfortable, get the Beyer if you still wanted more boss.

Sony MDR-1R is only available at sony stores & V-moda you have to order. V-Moda's defining characteristic is really well-done bass. Sony MDR-1R is described as midcentric with a warm bass. K550/K551 has great treble, weaker bass, and good soundstage. Momentum is very analytical. Beyer I guess is bassy, but I don't really know them. These terms don't mean anything until you personally hear the headphones and see if you could pick those changes out.

Honestly, I doubt you can hear the differences between the headphones without some really intense concentration and lots of playtime. It really is more subtle than we make it sound, especially if this is your first $300 pair of headphones. They will seriously just sound better than anything else you tried. You have to get really used to the higher end sound before the other nuances between them become apparent.

I really wanna kno what you ended up getting?!?!?!? you really can't go wrong w/ any of them.

Mar 6, 2013 at 4:38 AM Post #110 of 156
To me the differences are very apparent. Even within the same brand, but I am more experienced, albeit I am quite new in this hobby.

Just auditioned 4 similar priced ultrasone. They are not very different in the sense that the sound signature are all varieties of the ultrasone house sound. All had pronounced mid-bass and slightly sibilant treble. But the differences were still very apparent. I sorted out 2 of the 'phones after listening to 2 songs.
The 2 last 'phones (hfi-780 and pro 550) was a hard choice. After playing parts of around 5 songs on both I felt quite certain about their pros and cons

Mar 31, 2013 at 8:56 PM Post #113 of 156
Quote:
1. Beyer DT770
2. Sony MDR-1R 
3. Sennheiser Momentum
4. AKG K702
5. V-Moda M100
6. Sony Z100/7520

heyheyhey, didja decide on one yet????

i was in the same boat as you looking at $300ish portable closed headphones and honestly your final list is baller.

You really need to demo them at this point. Honestly, the differences between these headphones are quite subtle and it takes a while to hear them. I would say instead of the open AKG K702, you should look to get the K550/K551 since they are closed.

Best Buy has AKG K550 & the Sennheiser Momentum for you to demo. Go there & buy both. Listen to both & compare. Take the full 30 days to audition & make sure to let them "burn-in." You can do direct A-B comparisons, and then listen to one exclusively for a few days, then the other for a few days. IF you can tell the difference between these two based on sound alone, then decide what qualities you like better. Honestly, I doubt you will really be able to tell the sound quality difference. In that case, keep the one that fits you better. If they are both uncomfortable, buy the Sony MDR-1R as they are supposed to have the best comfort. 

If you can tell the sound quality difference, then rinse and repeat this process (return both, buy the one you liked best) go to a sony store & repeat with the Sony MDR-1R & Sony Z1000 if there is a sony store near you.

If those two headphones just do not have enough bass for you, buy the V-Moda M100 (or Beyer). There is a 60 day return policy for V-Moda. Compare those with whichever one you liked best. If M100 is uncomfortable, get the Beyer if you still wanted more boss.

Sony MDR-1R is only available at sony stores & V-moda you have to order. V-Moda's defining characteristic is really well-done bass. Sony MDR-1R is described as midcentric with a warm bass. K550/K551 has great treble, weaker bass, and good soundstage. Momentum is very analytical. Beyer I guess is bassy, but I don't really know them. These terms don't mean anything until you personally hear the headphones and see if you could pick those changes out.

Honestly, I doubt you can hear the differences between the headphones without some really intense concentration and lots of playtime. It really is more subtle than we make it sound, especially if this is your first $300 pair of headphones. They will seriously just sound better than anything else you tried. You have to get really used to the higher end sound before the other nuances between them become apparent.

I really wanna kno what you ended up getting?!?!?!? you really can't go wrong w/ any of them.

Hey man!

I'm contemplating between the D2000's and MDR-1R

Iv'e actually come across a pair of Denon D2000's for $390 brand new, im not sure whether that's a rip off or not, seeming as though their now discontinued. 

I know that a lot of Head-fiers high regard the Byer DT770's as being an Excellent can, but becasue i am no close to a Audio file, they have no appeal to me in "Looks". 

btw everyone my budget is $420 and yes i have not went ahead and bought anything yet, iv'e been too occupied with my free Nexus 4 :D 

their's no Best buy in Australia where i live. 

im probably pissing everyone off by the fact that i haven't made a decision yet, but im not in a rush at all. 

Mar 31, 2013 at 9:49 PM Post #114 of 156
Quote:
Hey man!

I'm contemplating between the D2000's and MDR-1R

Iv'e actually come across a pair of Denon D2000's for $390 brand new, im not sure whether that's a rip off or not, seeming as though their now discontinued. 

I know that a lot of Head-fiers high regard the Byer DT770's as being an Excellent can, but becasue i am no close to a Audio file, they have no appeal to me in "Looks". 

btw everyone my budget is $420 and yes i have not went ahead and bought anything yet, iv'e been too occupied with my free Nexus 4 :D 

their's no Best buy in Australia where i live. 

im probably pissing everyone off by the fact that i haven't made a decision yet, but im not in a rush at all. 

If you are not in a rush, you can probably find the MDR-1R for around $200. Note that the remote that comes with most headphones are iOS remotes, so the buttons will not work with your android device.

What do you like about the MDR-1R & the Denon D2000? I haven't tried the D2000, but they seem to be pretty different headphones from what I've read. 

Mar 31, 2013 at 10:10 PM Post #115 of 156
I like the Denon D2000's mainly becasue from what ppl have said about the D2000's sound, they seem like they'd be sound great for the music i listen too, and allot of ppl have said on this forum that the D2000's are a great pair of headphones for the price range im looking for..

I like the MDR-1R's becasue they look super nice, super comfy, and allot of ppl have said good things about it. plus iv'e heard that they sound better through i simple amp. about the remote on the cable, i don't think id use that feature even if it was compatible with android

Comfy factor is a big point for me. recently i used my brother M50's on a 3h drive to my grandparents place for easter and i ended up hardly using them coz it hurt my head and i got a bit car sick...but i think it was by the fact that i got a bit car sick..but you get the point :)

the cheapest i can find for the MDR-1R's to ship to Australia is $247, so any links would be awesome. 

Mar 31, 2013 at 11:50 PM Post #118 of 156
I talked to HiFiGuy528 a while ago and he recommended the Denon D600's, any thoughts??

update:
Denon D2000's ($390) is it worth it?
Sony MDR-1R ( cheapest from AU $247) Links most appreciated for cheaper prices. 

Apr 1, 2013 at 6:32 AM Post #119 of 156
Teh sony's are supper comfortable, very good. Better than my former beyers.

Apr 1, 2013 at 7:36 AM Post #120 of 156
that's great to hear davidsh, they sure do look comfy, i hope these cans are a great first pair of headphones for people like me who are just starting. :3 im open for suggestions! 

Hey everyone,

Iv'e recently asked a friend of mine who's currently in America on a holiday if he'd be okay ordering these MDR-1R's on my behalf becasue they don't ship internationally and i'd save $110 if i bought them from this website!!  awaiting for a reply. 

http://www.compsource.com/ttechnote.asp?part_no=MDR1R&vid=416&src=PG

To all you people who live in America, is this Website reliable?? becasue it's a little hard to believe..because of the price!! and would i still get the standard 12 month international warranty from Sony if bought these?? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back