A Twisted Review: HD800's Calculative, Clinical and Sterile Soul
Aug 23, 2009 at 5:36 PM Post #16 of 167
Quote:

Originally Posted by subtle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Everything Jazz said in response to your instigative comments mirrors exactly what I would have said, but in a much kinder and professional tone.

I love it when people attempt to pass of their own opinion as fact.

Indeed he did a violation of an (unwritten) headfi rule.

Holy cows do exist, don't bash them, and be always friendly!!
wink.gif

Aug 23, 2009 at 5:46 PM Post #17 of 167
As someone who owns two of the cans now for testing things just like this I must agree with JaZZ that they need more burn-in than any other headphone I've owned. I've had my first pair since a couple of days after CanJam 09. I re-terminated them with cheap Neutrik XLR 3-pin connectors and have run them for two months almost non-stop. I got the new HD800 and hooked up a brand new APureSound V3 headphone cable and running them for five straight days the stock unit still sounds much, much better. No bass, tipped-up highs, loss of details, etc. would all accurately describe the differences.

It would appear that one thing is for certain: until these cans are fully broken-in their sound signature can not be fully appreciated. Until the day that my new pair exceeds or matches the old, stock pair I'll say they need more time playing before I'll evaluate how they sound.

No one has tested two pair against each other yet (one two months old and one brand new), and to pick an arbitrary number of hours necessary for full burn-in is also folly and a horrible assumption that does everyone on this board a disservice. It invalidates those opinions and leaves a false impression of what these cans are capable of doing with the music played through them!

Aug 23, 2009 at 5:50 PM Post #18 of 167
GuyDebord, thank you for the review. I appreciate the fact that you gave readers a warning that it was "twisted." Still, I think you provide a lot of good information for those who are contemplating purchasing the HD800, especially if they pay attention to the info you provide re the equipment you used, the music you listened to, and your preference in SQ. As a review, this is technically excellent.

The "twisted" quality of the review caught my attention. As you've warned us, you're putting your own "twist" into the mix. I find the mix of sound review practice and twist entertaining and enlightening. Your twist on HD800 fans is eye-opening in the sense that it sheds light on the controversy.

I happen to be an HD800 fan, but I can appreciate your views. I think it takes courage to stand up and say exactly what you feel about 'phones that seem to be so highly regarded by so many. The fact that you feel you have to defend your opinion probably says more about the HD800 fans than about you.

You're right. As an 800 fan myself, I don't realize how we come across. We probably seem like true believers intent on saving the world, intent on opening the eyes of heretics who don't see the light.

So, again, thanks for the eye-opener and best wishes on hunting down your ideal 'phones.

Aug 23, 2009 at 5:50 PM Post #19 of 167
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Indeed he did a violation of an (unwritten) headfi rule.

Holy cows do exist, don't bash them, and be always friendly!!
wink.gif

What exactly is it that you're trying to say?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ServinginEcuador /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As someone who owns two of the cans now for testing things just like this I must agree with JaZZ that they need more burn-in than any other headphone I've owned. I've had my first pair since a couple of days after CanJam 09. I re-terminated them with cheap Neutrik XLR 3-pin connectors and have run them for two months almost non-stop. I got the new HD800 and hooked up a brand new APureSound V3 headphone cable and running them for five straight days the stock unit still sounds much, much better. No bass, tipped-up highs, loss of details, etc. would all accurately describe the differences.

It would appear that one thing is for certain: until these cans are fully broken-in their sound signature can not be fully appreciated. Until the day that my new pair exceeds or matches the old, stock pair I'll say they need more time playing before I'll evaluate how they sound.

No one has tested two pair against each other yet (one two months old and one brand new), and to pick an arbitrary number of hours necessary for full burn-in is also folly and a horrible assumption that does everyone on this board a disservice. It invalidates those opinions and leaves a false impression of what these cans are capable of doing with the music played through them!

Wow! I'm curious to read about the further development then.

Aug 23, 2009 at 5:57 PM Post #20 of 167
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow! I'm curious to read about the further development then.

Hey JaZZ!

I too am really looking forward to seeing how the new cans develop over time compared to the older pair. The serial numbers for these cans are 00613 and 01780 in case anyone was interested.

I had a fellow Head-Fi'er over on Friday, and he was totally unimpressed with how the new cans sounded, even with the very expensive cable on it.

Aug 23, 2009 at 6:02 PM Post #21 of 167
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What exactly is it that you're trying to say?

That usual "storm of idignation" if some happens not to go conform with the general consensus is a "headfi only" thing I personally don't like that much. Hm, maybe a mentality thing, I am very EU-ish (read: non political correct) in that respect.

Aug 23, 2009 at 6:10 PM Post #22 of 167
GuyDebord,
thank you for your impressions. It's nice to see some other responses from the other side of barricade
wink.gif

When I received the HD800, I felt similar - great technical prowess, yet somewhat uninvolving and sometimes harsh in the treble. I didn't get the goosebumps during intensive musical passages as with other more euphonic phones. The bass was great though, but Dynamight is a bass monster amp of it's own. The problem was with my source. After bringing my Buffalo32s DAC kit to life (thanks johnwmclean for the tip!) the situation changed altogether - my HD800 were brought to life too. When sourced with DSD signal from my SCD-XA3000ES, the sound is simply mind blowing.

I think the great diversity of opinions we see stems from one's music anticipation/appreciation. Some people prefer to listen to acoustical music originating from a real space, looking for a reproduction as close as possible to the life performance (think classical music listeners). For these the HD800 might be a godsend.

Others prefer to get the most enjoyment of their favorite music, no matter how it was produced or recorded. They search for ultimate joy and feet tapping. For these the HD800 might be indeed boring.

Now pick your side and let's finish this never ending dispute
smile_phones.gif

Aug 23, 2009 at 7:12 PM Post #23 of 167
I didn't try the HD800 on a variety of sources or amps, but I had a very similar experience to yours listening to the HD800 at a recent meet. It had huge soundstage, amazing detail retreval, great mids, so transparent sounding, but in the end, I just didn't care. It seemed to be missing a lot of body that should be there in the music, similar to the K701, removed so that all the details would be more prominent to disect.

But I'd like to hear them again because a lot of people with good ears seem to love them.

Aug 23, 2009 at 7:32 PM Post #24 of 167
Quote:

Originally Posted by GuyDebord /img/forum/go_quote.gif
t...I understand now, that Sennheiser's marketing and the hype built around the HD800's has been successful in over-inflating the perceptions of many headfiers, psycho-marketing is a powerful tool....

In other words, it is never possible to simply enjoy a product. No one actually enjoys anything. If someone likes a product, that's really a reflection of the hype and marketing they're fallen victim to.

And you don't actually like the headphones you think you do. If you like the K-1000, that means that you're just under the sway of AKG's marketing machine. Your opinions on anything else you think you like are equally suspect reflections of marketing and hype.

Either that or you just don't like the HD-800. That's OK. Nothing suits everyone. Just return them and stop taking shots at people who genuinely enjoy something.

Aug 23, 2009 at 7:53 PM Post #25 of 167
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In other words, it is never possible to simply enjoy a product. No one actually enjoys anything. If someone likes a product, that's really a reflection of the hype and marketing they're fallen victim to.

And you don't actually like the headphones you think you do. If you like the K-1000, that means that you're just under the sway of AKG's marketing machine. Your opinions on anything else you think you like are equally suspect reflections of marketing and hype.

Either that or you just don't like the HD-800. That's OK. Nothing suits everyone. Just return them and stop taking shots at people who genuinely enjoy something.

Yeah, it seems like if you enjoy something he doesn't there must be a reason behind it, leaving out the fact that they just like the sound.. Same with the Denons, etc..

Aug 23, 2009 at 7:55 PM Post #26 of 167
Quote:

Originally Posted by subtle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So you had the opportunity to "hold the HD800s in your hands", but for some reason you didn't take the time to listen to them? Uhhh...yeah...sure.
rolleyes.gif

It's the complete definition of irony that you can sit here and actually describe the HD800 as poorly designed and built, when we all know you worship in the tomb of the Qualia 010. One of the most poorly designed and fragile headphones to ever grace the market. You simply make no sense with this crusade you are still on months later to try and paint the HD800 as cheap.

Please don't flatter yourself with your regurgitation on redesign any longer. You couldn't begin to do better.

First of all, it is OK to ask questions but not OK to make false accusations. The store here in New York City had them in stock to see but they did not have the equipment to hear them with. Yes, if I wanted to, I could have hooked them up to a $200 Onkyo receiver but what would be the point. If you can't guess where that is, well, I am not going to spell it out for you. I do not need to defend myself. Also, you have no idea who I am and what my relationship to design is, so save your fury for some cause that is actually important rather than attacking another individual. How odd is it that I thoughtfully critique a design (it's all in my opening post on the thread), an inanimate object, and somehow people like you take it as a personal attack. If you have an issue with my reasoning than please, attack the reasoning, not the person. I have yet to see a reasonable rebuttal from you about my observations and I doubt I will.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/sen...-jeans-399951/

For the record, I worship at the tomb of: Sony R-10, Grado HP-1000, and Sony Qualia 010. You got one out of three correct.

Aug 23, 2009 at 8:25 PM Post #27 of 167
Those three headphones have much higher retail prices than the HD800 especailly when you take into consideration inflation. I don't care what your relationship to design is, I just know the color HD800 was painted is better than any color you can think of.

Aug 23, 2009 at 8:35 PM Post #29 of 167
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidhunternyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was open to change my opinion once I did see the HD800's, however, in pictures and in life, it is still silver spray-painted plastic. I want to design the HD900. Aston Martin... Look out.

I'd rather have silver painted plastic than actual metal in the headphone, simply because I'd rather not have a Formula 1 style neck workout whenever I move around in my chair while listening to music.

If plastic was the right material for the job from a sonic and comfort point of view, then I have no beef with them. You can't even see headphones when they're on your head anyway.

In my opinion, headphones are meant to give a comfortable listening experience, looks be damned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back