A Twisted Review: HD800's Calculative, Clinical and Sterile Soul
Aug 23, 2009 at 8:45 PM Post #31 of 167
Quote:

Originally Posted by EugeneK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd rather have silver painted plastic than actual metal in the headphone, simply because I'd rather not have a Formula 1 style neck workout whenever I move around in my chair while listening to music.

If plastic was the right material for the job from a sonic and comfort point of view, then I have no beef with them. You can't even see the headphones when they're on your head anyway.

In my opinion, headphones are meant to give a comfortable listening experience, looks be damned.

A lot a people feel the way you do and who am I to say that you are wrong? That would be preposterous. Many people just want to use things without thinking about them; "Good design is no design." On the other hand, it is the job of industrial designers to care about these issues. Apple computers wouldn't be where it is today without Jonathan Ive. Also, if design doesn't matter, look at the tumultuous and heated career of Chris Bangle at BMW. Both designers, for good and for ill, have had epic careers.

You can't see the outside of a car when sitting inside the car.

Aug 23, 2009 at 8:45 PM Post #32 of 167
There's absolutely nothing wrong with plastic. It's everywhere. In your computers, in your keyboards, in your cars, in your homes.

It's a more modern material than metals.

Aug 23, 2009 at 8:47 PM Post #33 of 167
Oh please, take it to the other thread will you? This has been beaten to death several times already.

Aug 23, 2009 at 8:48 PM Post #35 of 167
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kachui /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, thanks for telling us that; you must have a thorough knowledge of materials and engineering of headphones to know their limitations..

No, I have ears. Do I need to know how a car is designed in order to know if it handles and rides differently from another?

Quote:

And thank you for pointing out to us that so many of us (including me) are deluded.

No problem.

Quote:

I should return my HD800 and sue Sennheiser for using the pricing of this product to trick me into thinking that it is a great headphone. Sure fooled me, I really thought (still think) it was much better than my old HD650

Let me know how it works out. If you're successful, I'm gonna sue the government.

Seriously though, if you think everything just gets better and better as we go through time because that is the natural law of the universe, fine. My ears and experience tell me otherwise. No current headphone is giving me more information from my recordings than my 30 year old phones are. If some think that exaggerating certain parts of the frequency spectrum (at the expense of others) is "better" or "more detailed". they're wrong. If people think that moving the drivers away from the ear adds a soundstage and spaciousness to multi-tracked pop recordings that isn't there to begin with, they're wrong. IEM's have improved over the old ones but they couldn't have made them any worse.

Aug 23, 2009 at 8:55 PM Post #36 of 167
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidhunternyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First of all, it is OK to ask questions but not OK to make false accusations. The store here in New York City had them in stock to see but they did not have the equipment to hear them with. Yes, if I wanted to, I could have hooked them up to a $200 Onkyo receiver but what would be the point. If you can't guess where that is, well, I am not going to spell it out for you. I do not need to defend myself. Also, you have no idea who I am and what my relationship to design is, so save your fury for some cause that is actually important rather than attacking another individual. How odd is it that I thoughtfully critique a design (it's all in my opening post on the thread), an inanimate object, and somehow people like you take it as a personal attack. If you have an issue with my reasoning than please, attack the reasoning, not the person. I have yet to see a reasonable rebuttal from you about my observations and I doubt I will.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/sen...-jeans-399951/

For the record, I worship at the tomb of: Sony R-10, Grado HP-1000, and Sony Qualia 010. You got one out of three correct.

You know, I'm really glad you provided a link to your silly diatribe thread. There is a reason I never posted in it and that is because it would be a complete waste of my time. I'm really not sure how you baited people in to giving you 47 pages worth of replies, but it probably had something to do with those many times where you posted a reply, when there had been no response to your previous reply, simply to bump the thread back up to the top. But I digress.

What I'm really glad about though is just now discovering this little gem of a post you made on 6-27-2009.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/sen...ml#post5797676

Quote:

Originally Posted by davidhunternyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As far I know, this is the first time you've asked me this question. Up until this point you have assumed that I have not seen them. Yes, I have seen them in person. I have felt them, handled them, and listened to them. Also, amongst all the posts in this thread, myself and others have commented about the design of this headphone in detail.

So which is it now David? You have heard them or you haven't? You really should make up your mind about all of this.

The only conclusion I can come to now, based on the evidence at hand, is that you are a liar that thrives on attention.

Checkmate.

Aug 23, 2009 at 9:00 PM Post #37 of 167
Quote:

Originally Posted by subtle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You know, I'm really glad you provided a link to your silly diatribe thread. There is a reason I never posted in it and that is because it would be a complete waste of my time. I'm really not sure how you baited people in to giving you 47 pages worth of replies, but it probably had something to do with those many times where you posted a reply, when there had been no response to your previous reply, simply to bump the thread back up to the top. But I digress.

What I'm really glad about though is just now discovering this little gem of a post you made on 6-27-2009.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/sen...ml#post5797676

Quote:

Originally Posted by davidhunternyc
As far I know, this is the first time you've asked me this question. Up until this point you have assumed that I have not seen them. Yes, I have seen them in person. I have felt them, handled them, and listened to them. Also, amongst all the posts in this thread, myself and others have commented about the design of this headphone in detail.

So which is it now David? You have heard them or you haven't? You really should make up your mind about all of this.

The only conclusion I can come to now, based on the evidence at hand, is that you are a liar that thrives on attention.

Checkmate.

Ouch! There goes that guys credibility...

Aug 23, 2009 at 9:17 PM Post #38 of 167
Ahh, now you are changing the question. I answered you already. I told you I saw them. How many times do I have to say this? Do I have to spell it out for you? Apparently I do. J&R Music World. So tell me, how was I supposed to listen to them? If you are that smart, then give me an answer. I have never made any comments about their sound quality. Yeah right guys, funny, keep scratching your balls and grunt.

Aug 23, 2009 at 9:45 PM Post #39 of 167
That's a bummer. I guess the 800s aren't for everyone's tastes.

Aug 23, 2009 at 10:05 PM Post #40 of 167
All headphones bow down to their master, the HD800. The master does not dignify all others by responding.

Seriously, To the OP, everyone has their own tastes....go seek your panacea.

Aug 23, 2009 at 10:13 PM Post #42 of 167
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That usual "storm of idignation" if some happens not to go conform with the general consensus is a "headfi only" thing I personally don't like that much. Hm, maybe a mentality thing, I am very EU-ish (read: non political correct) in that respect.

And I think you're drawing the conclusions you like to. Nobody is attacked for not liking a product (I officially don't particularly like some of the most respected headphones myself), but rather for indirectly insulting others for having the wrong approach and falling victim to (marketing) hype. According to your posts you seem to have a similar attitude – but I may be wrong.

Aug 23, 2009 at 10:20 PM Post #43 of 167
It's also important to note that a lot of us ignored the hype. I personally completely forgot about the HD800's launch until last month, then drove down to Headroom and checked them out. They sounded good, so I bought them.

It's safe to say that most people listened to the HD800 before deciding they sounded good.

Aug 23, 2009 at 10:31 PM Post #44 of 167
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nobody is attacked for not liking a product.

Are you kidding me? People are constantly attacked here for not liking a product.

--Jerome

Aug 23, 2009 at 10:31 PM Post #45 of 167
Quote:

Originally Posted by Geek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's also important to note that a lot of us ignored the hype. I personally completely forgot about the HD800's launch until last month, then drove down to Headroom and checked them out. They sounded good, so I bought them.

It's safe to say that most people listened to the HD800 before deciding they sounded good.

I'd easily buy a pair without a audition.. Me & Erik have the same taste in headphones.. K1000/DT48/DT880/SA5000.. If he thinks they are that good, chances are I would too..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back