A Twisted Review: HD800's Calculative, Clinical and Sterile Soul
Aug 23, 2009 at 10:41 PM Post #46 of 167
Here ya go, David, should save you some time and effort.
Code:

Code:
[left]vector<HeadFi_Thread> HeadFi::FindThread(string keyWord); void DavidHunterNyc(){ while(true){ vector<HeadFi_Thread> vecHD800Threads = HeadFi::FindThread("HD800"); for(vector<HeadFi_Thread>::iterator iterThread = vecHD800Threads.begin(); iterThread != vecHD800Threads.end(); iterThread ++ ){ iterThread->Post( "http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/" + "sennheiser-hd800-spray-painted" + "-plastic-new-acid-washed-jeans-399951/\n" + "Plastic blah blah designer blah blah.\n"); } } }[/left]

Aug 23, 2009 at 10:42 PM Post #47 of 167
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That usual "storm of idignation" if some happens not to go conform with the general consensus is a "headfi only" thing I personally don't like that much. Hm, maybe a mentality thing, I am very EU-ish (read: non political correct) in that respect.

Not at all. Disagreement is usually civil here.

The problem is when the person disagreeing starts to insult the other side. Here, the OP implies that it isn't actually possible to enjoy the HD-800 and that anyone who does is a victim of marketing and hype.

So, how long does a headphone have to be on the market before you can genuinely enjoy it? Does the hype last for months, if not years? Maybe we should ban all positive opinions of a new headphone for a "cooling off" period because we wouldn't want victims of marketing to share an opinion.

Another considerably more obnoxious member started saying that anyone who likes the HD-800 has a psychological disorder.

See how this works?

There's disagreement and there's trolling. If you cast your disagreement as an insult to others, that's where problems arise. The obnoxious member mentionsed above would have caused a crapstorm even if he had liked the HD-800. I'm sure he knows what he's doing and probably gets a good laugh at the responses while fanning the flames.

Aug 23, 2009 at 10:45 PM Post #48 of 167
Quote:

Originally Posted by jsaliga /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you kidding me? People are constantly attacked here for not liking a product.

Really? I must have missed those posts. I only recall some absolutistic claims about this and that headphone sounding awful in the face of people convinced of its qualities. Which deserves a strong reaction in my book.

Aug 23, 2009 at 10:56 PM Post #49 of 167
A little over blown perhaps? Maybe he didn't use the best wording but have anyone here always get thing perfect? And that is like one sentence in a big piece of writing. Everyone has their own taste & preference, some like HD800 some don't, no right or wrong. I think the OP is just his personal review/ opinion that's all.

Aug 23, 2009 at 11:33 PM Post #50 of 167
Erik, Im sorry that MY opinion offended you, however, I prefer to express my views than to be politically correct. I dont know how many times one has to put phrase starters like: IMO, I think, In my view... to make people like you understand that one is just talking for himself. BTW, you erased IMO when you quoted my phrase on marketing, which I still stand by it. Its the Emperors new clothes. Magazines are putting phrases like "Best headphones ever", "Best headphones in the world" Sennheiser is getting spreads about the incredible hd800's in most technology magazines, forums hailing the new king, etc. Marketing makes SOME (not you, nor JaZZ, or anyone offended) people believe this things more than they should, its a principle that is very much discussed in mass psychology and its scientifically accepted, so its not only me that could think about the hd800 marketing effect.

If you read well the statement, im talking about the possibility of marketing getting into MANY headfiers, I never said it was getting to UnkleErik or to JaZZ. I also stated that the HD800 were among the best dynamic hp's in production, and that for some people their sonic signature would be actually enjoyable, but not to me. Whats wrong here? Im glad that you love your HD800's I really am, and I dont think you were influenced by marketing.

If you look back at the majority of your posts in regards to the k701's, I think you contradict yourself in regards to civility, you really loved to troll all over them, but since you are "headphoneus supremus" with 11k+ posts you must feel you have immunity or something. We both express our views strongly I guess, but if something bothered you about my review, its probably because it hit a right nerve that makes you question your feelings about a headphone.

Peace
beerchug.gif
and keep enjoying your hd800's!

Aug 23, 2009 at 11:39 PM Post #51 of 167
^^^ Yes, I agree with you. Why is it that if someone has a negative critique of a headphone on this forum, that this is frowned upon? Yet, if someone has a positive critique about a headphone, then this is somehow good and morally correct? We should all be able to learn from each other and make up our own minds without resorting to personal attack.

Aug 23, 2009 at 11:39 PM Post #52 of 167
Guy... You make it sound like the wide-spread approval of these is solely the result of marketing from Sennheiser.

When you make a statement like that you can't go back and say "Oh, I wasn't talking about you or you. I was talking about everyone else".

Aug 24, 2009 at 12:04 AM Post #53 of 167
davidhunternyc, the only complaint I've heard from you is that you don't like the plastic or color on the HD800, and you only have to repeat yourself 10 times, not 100 times, to get your point across on forums. You also keep saying as if it was fact that the HD800 has bad and cheap design. Well I've asked you many times to photoshop it to make it look better and I haven't seen you do it so I think you don't know any way to improve the design of the HD800. I don't think you know anything about materials either since you keep dismissing when people say plastic is preferable to other materials sometimes. And it's really annoying you continuously compare the HD800's materials to headphones that cost much more (especially when you factor in inflation). What the hell do you know about economics and what materials is best in order for making Sennheiser more money (which is the ultimate goal of any company)? I think you're totally unrealistic when it comes to design and also economics.

And your claim that people are frowned upon for talking bad about headphones, I've talked serious crap about all my headphones and nobody ever got on my back. You have very bad people's skills, that's why so many people here jump on your back whenever you try to say anything contrary to general opinion. And the only other people you convince of your point that plastic is cheap are people who are ignorant of the myriad types and uses of plastic like yourself.

Aug 24, 2009 at 12:23 AM Post #54 of 167
Quote:

Originally Posted by GuyDebord /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Erik, Im sorry that MY opinion offended you,

You didn't write anything offensive, so I wouldn't apologize.

Quote:

If you look back at the majority of [UncleErik's] posts in regards to the k701's, I think [he] contradicts [himself] in regards to civility, [he] really loved to troll all over them,

I haven't read the K701 thread, but incidentally, I found Uncle Erik's posts in my threads were among the least civil.

Quote:

We both express our views strongly I guess, but if something bothered you about my review, its probably because it hit a right nerve that makes you question your feelings about a headphone.

Don't take it personally. This is how FB's respond to negative reviews.

Aug 24, 2009 at 12:26 AM Post #55 of 167
I don't think a lot of people here realize how much burn in the HD800 requires to smooth out its high frequency response. I posted yesterday, before this thread was started, in the "HD800 Break-in thread" that they need atleast 400+ hours. The OP said he burned the 800's in for 1-1/2 weeks which equates to roughly 250 hrs. My findings were that even with 250 hrs, the HD800 high frequency response was metallic and too sharp sounding. This issue smooths out quite significantly beyond 400 hrs. Beyond 400 hrs, the headphone takes on a warmer and smoother response that was not evident at 250 hrs. I have close to 450 hrs of burn-in now and I'm not sure they are fully burned in yet but they clearly sound better than they did at 250.

Aug 24, 2009 at 12:33 AM Post #56 of 167
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidhunternyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^^^ Yes, I agree with you. Why is it that if someone has a negative critique of a headphone on this forum, that this is frowned upon? Yet, if someone has a positive critique about a headphone, then this is somehow good and morally correct? We should all be able to learn from each other and make up our own minds without resorting to personal attack.

This thread just demonstrates that the readership here, in general, cannot handle negative reviews. This is why I chose not to post my listening impressions of the HD800 vs. PS1000 vs. Ed8 vs. HD650's, only a review of their appearance/construction. To my surprise, the comparison was met with a barrage of unappreciative, uncivil comments. A moderator even responded to tell me that my review was LAME. Then the review was subsequently deleted (not even locked).

The problem is, positive reviews really don't help people. We already know that Stereophile and others think the HD800 is simply amazing. How useful is yet another gushing, rave review? The problem is that there is a growing number of reports that the HD800 has harsh treble and enhanced sibilance. Without these negative reports, people who might otherwise find the HD800's objectionable, might drop $1400 on the HD800's because a lot of people aren't able to listen to them prior to buying. What a waste of people's time and money.

I know you people are probably normal, friendly individuals in your day-to-day lives. I don't know why you some of you cannot behave when you come to this forum. They're JUST headphones.

Aug 24, 2009 at 12:43 AM Post #57 of 167
Quote:

Originally Posted by cswann1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Guy... You make it sound like the wide-spread approval of these is solely the result of marketing from Sennheiser.

Of course, we all know the HD800 was just another headphone. There was no real marketing or pre-release build up, No one from Sennheiser was posting here fanning the flames of interest and to console people who were bothered by the delay in their release. And there absolutely was no early buzz by a few key and influential head-fiers that whipped people into a frenzy.

Look, I don't own the HD800s and I haven't heard them. So I'm not qualified to comment on them. But as an interested head-fier I am qualified to comment about what is going on here. I believe that the folks who genuinely like the HD800s do so for good reason. But let's not pretend that there was no hype surrounding these cans in the months leading up to their release. To do so is an intellectually dishonest attempt at denying reality. Does that mean that people who like the HD800s have been drinking too much of Sennheiser's Kool Aid? I very much doubt that. But the early buzz was probably responsible for a lot of sales, many of which were made to people who had not even auditioned the phones. Was it a self-fullfilling prophecy that the HD800s were going to be highly regarded? I don't know the answer to that. An equally interesting question would be has there been any headphone brought to market in recent memory with similar pre-release buzz and hype that fell flat and was widely panned by people who heard them? I don't know the answer to that either.

So...here we are. Some people are not going to like the HD800s. And since these are not inexpensive cans it stands to reason that someone disappointed with the HD800s is going to feel something of a deeper sting than say, someone who bought a pair of PX-100s for $40 and didn't think they were all that. It is also understandable that someone in such a circumstance would feel betrayed by the all the early buzz, hype, and the positive commentary that came after the cans fell into the hands of those who were anticipating them the most. So I understand where the OP and others like him are coming from -- even if I think there is probably a better way for them to articulate their dissatisfaction.

What I don't understand is why so many of you feel the need to discredit these people. Doing so is not going to make your headphones sound any better. It is so bad on the headphone forum that it seems to me the main goal of any criticism must be to not offend the sensibilities of the folks on the other side of the fence. And if by chance that should happen, well, the thread will quickly become about the individuals leveling the critcism: their lack of social grace, lack of political correctness, their lack of quality amps and sources, their lack of knowledge, anything...to divert attention away from the real subject at hand -- which is their dissatisfaction with an expensive headphone that so many people seemed to like. And that is a fact that is used time and again to beat down any criticism posted by someone who is not member of the club (or rather clique) on this board.

Think I'm wrong? Perhaps. But just recently I was posting in a thread about some new phono cartridges that I recently tried and someone who's opinion I respect and value said that one of them wasn't his cup of tea. I asked him to elaborate further because I was very much interested in reading his critique. A short while later, I received a PM from him and my take on it without going into details was that he was a little more comfortable sharing his experience in private, probably because he didn't want a pack of wolves on his ass over some criticism he might have made about a popular cartridge. I might be misreading him but I don't think so.

I used to come to this part of Head-Fi several times per day. But I can only stomach so much hypocracy so now I only come here once or twice a month.

--Jerome

Aug 24, 2009 at 12:45 AM Post #58 of 167
Long burn-in is not unique to the HD800. I burned in my Edition 9 for over 600 hrs and my K701 and HD650 for well over 500 hrs. All of these headphones changed quite significantly beyond 400 hrs. I would not judge any headphone without burning them in for about 500 hrs.

Aug 24, 2009 at 12:46 AM Post #59 of 167
Quote:

Originally Posted by SmellyGas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The problem is, positive reviews really don't help people. We already know that Stereophile and others think the HD800 is simply amazing. How useful is yet another gushing, rave review?

Absolutely not true. Some Head-Fi members opinions are highly regarded and if party A reads that party B liked a product and party A knows his tastes are similar to party B then the positive review is very helpful.
Also Head-Fi members views are a lot more valuable to the majority of this community specifically because they do not work for a magazine/website who exists as a result of paid advertisements, often from the company who made the products that they review.

Aug 24, 2009 at 12:52 AM Post #60 of 167
Quote:

Originally Posted by cswann1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Absolutely not true. Some Head-Fi members opinions are highly regarded and if someone reads that party A liked a product and party B knows his tastes are similar to party A then the positive review is very helpful.
Also Head-Fi members views are a lot more valuable to the majority of this community specifically because they do not work for a magazine/website who exists as a result of paid advertisements, often from the company who made the products that they review.

I'm a little sick of reading the positive HD800 reviews. They all say the same thing. Incredible transparency, detail, very revealing of source, blah blah. They all blend together. But I see your point. For the same reasons you mentioned, negative reviews are also important. The problem is, on this forum, positive reviews are welcomed and negative reviews are not. People read the negative reviews and automatically think the reviewer has a hearing problem or is using defective/cheap equipment because they don't hear what the fanboys hear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back