Earbuds Round-Up
Aug 12, 2016 at 8:59 PM Post #8,401 of 75,183
Today I've found this old thread about some Yuin PK2 mod with tape. It's really cool to see these changes in acoustic, and different ways to tunings earbuds (similar to foams). I think this mod with Cygnus works really well and are very easy/cheap to do.

Atm, I'm testing two methods: 

1) Just an electric (or masking) tape to blocking just one hole on both sides and with a needle making series of some small holes. Overall the changes on SQ isn't day/night, but there are some differences like sounds become a bit thicker and soundstage a little less wide. Sounds excellent with metal, vocals which are a feature of Cygnus improve a bit to my ears too.

2) The original mod. You'll find all details and impressions more depth in the first link, but sounds similar to the first method with less impact in soundstage and more natural timbre, if you're looking for Cygnus with less peak on treble but with more extension (focus on details), maybe it'll be a good mod for you. 

Well, just initial impressions but if someone will test these "mods" please share your impressions too! 

Aug 12, 2016 at 11:03 PM Post #8,402 of 75,183
i always find the same going from anything really nice back to the Monk/Monk Plus. that is why they are so good, the tonal balance is so perfectly natural. No tricks or amp/EQ necessities for them to sound amazing.

Indeed. I'm still on the fence when it comes to the RX-1's. I know many admire the build quality, but to me it still feels cheap. Reminds me of some of the products you buy where they artificially add weight to the product to make it feel more expensive than it really is.

Aug 12, 2016 at 11:29 PM Post #8,403 of 75,183
Just a heads up. The housings on my T-Music Earbuds had the L & R markings backwards.

I noticed this when I was watching a movie with them. I confirmed the mistake with http://www.audiocheck.net/soundtests_headphones.php

So after a few beers, I grabbed my wife's nail polish and went to work. I also did not wait until they dried all the way and they got marked up a bit.

But here is how they turned out.

Low( quality cell phone picture:)

--

Aug 13, 2016 at 1:45 AM Post #8,405 of 75,183
Aug 13, 2016 at 2:36 AM Post #8,406 of 75,183
today, I A/B the monk+ and the ty hi-z hp32 and found that the difference between them is like coke and pepsi, although I tried them with and without donut foams, the hp32 seem to sound better with donut foams like a half moon, but not the monk+, which I seem to like better without any foams, without donut foams the difference is less obvious, and both with foams way more obvious, (although I think donut foams suit the monk+, imho), just for fun I A/B the monk and the tdk eb90 and found the tdk lacking, I could tell even without comparing, but the details that get lost, is very apparent when using something like the monk+

on another note, the she3200, are very very bassy, which covers most of the sound, I tried using "late night" setting on my iphone, and it seemed to tone it down and make it a bit more balanced, but I also found them bit more loud than any other earbuds, (probably because of the shape that directs the sound in the ear canal), they are very good outside and only on 1 occasion on a busy street did I feel the need to adjust the volume to 5/16 from 4/16

Aug 13, 2016 at 3:30 AM Post #8,407 of 75,183
Ok, I have decided to try the SHOZY Cygnus, and on Amazon USA there are two sellers SHENZHENAUDIO and BETERAN for $99 and $85. Has anyone had any experience with those two sellers good or bad? Are there any fakes of the Shozy Cygnus out there?

Aug 13, 2016 at 3:39 AM Post #8,408 of 75,183
After more time with the Seahf LD-3.0 400 Ohm....

Everytime I put on the earbuds, it´s like taking a nice hot bath. The warm, bassy sound signature hugs you and the slightly recessed treble cuts any peaks that might appear. And where some of my other earbuds tend to become a little grainy sounding, the LD-3.0 sounds more polished.
Sure, the bloomy sub-bass takes a lot of power to control, but with the right amping this can very well be an endgame earbud for some imo. It sounds soooo cozy.....

Aug 13, 2016 at 3:41 AM Post #8,409 of 75,183
  Ok, I have decided to try the SHOZY Cygnus, and on Amazon USA there are two sellers SHENZHENAUDIO and BETERAN for $99 and $85. Has anyone had any experience with those two sellers good or bad? Are there any fakes of the Shozy Cygnus out there?

Shenzhenaudio is cool imo.

Aug 13, 2016 at 3:41 AM Post #8,410 of 75,183
  After more time with the Seahf LD-3.0 400 Ohm....

Everytime I put on the earbuds, it´s like taking a nice hot bath. The warm, bassy sound signature hugs you and the slightly recessed treble cuts any peaks that might appear. And where some of my other earbuds tend to become a little grainy sounding, the LD-3.0 sounds more polished.
Sure, the bloomy sub-bass takes a lot of power to control, but with the right amping this can very well be an endgame earbud for some imo. It sounds soooo cozy.....

hmm.... you make me buy the 3.0 400 Ohm LOL
but 3.0 320 is also on my list. What to do now?

Aug 13, 2016 at 3:54 AM Post #8,411 of 75,183
  hmm.... you make me buy the 3.0 400 Ohm LOL
but 3.0 320 is also on my list. What to do now?

I can´t tell you, but since I have the Seahf earbuds, I´ve become extremely addicted to the bass performance of those two earbuds.
I´d say, if you like to try more bass (with really deep sub-bass), and you have the amp for it, give the 3.0 400 Ohm a shot.
If you want more dynamics and a more powerful bass, go for the 320 Ohm. Or do like I did, order both.
When I look back over the week, I listened to the V1 320 Ohm the most, then 3.0 400 Ohm, then 3.0 320 Ohm. Maybe it helps.....

Aug 13, 2016 at 5:01 AM Post #8,413 of 75,183
https://mobile.twitter.com/hckexin/status/764123827676647424
Special price :sunglasses:

50% off for twitter followers, I wonder how that works, follow them and say that you are following them when you order the earbuds and wait for the price to be reduced?

20% off without twitter

those silver plated cables seem tempting, I wonder if they different enough from the ty hi-z hp32 to justify buying them?

Aug 13, 2016 at 5:43 AM Post #8,415 of 75,183
These days I rarely get to listen to earbud coz of busy works. But today I put back RX -1 and notice how good it sound with good recordings. I'm listening to many chesky binaural and oh boy the low and high presence. Reminds me of hifiman planar that I audition recently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back