Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Apr 16, 2013 at 6:19 AM Post #24,916 of 42,298
Just as a curiosity, did u wait for the caps to cool down and dissipate their heat before rolling the new rectifiers? Idk if that would matter, but I wait at least 5 minutes between tube rolls and I believe that's good practice

Apr 16, 2013 at 6:38 AM Post #24,917 of 42,298
Quote:
Just as a curiosity, did u wait for the caps to cool down and dissipate their heat before rolling the new rectifiers? Idk if that would matter, but I wait at least 5 minutes between tube rolls and I believe that's good practice

Yes this is a very good point. I would recommend at least 20 minutes between power down/back up, and closer to an hour optimally. The time my EML went defective, I may have been rolling a bit aggressively myself. Easy nube mistake!

Apr 16, 2013 at 10:28 AM Post #24,918 of 42,298
Quote:

Yes this is a very good point. I would recommend at least 20 minutes between power down/back up, and closer to an hour optimally. The time my EML went defective, I may have been rolling a bit aggressively myself. Easy nube mistake!

Yes I did wait. In the meantime, Jack replied: "Please try the stock tubes. Your amp worked fine with the stock tubes so I
assume your new tubes might have problems." So that is what I will do tonight and I will report back.

Apr 16, 2013 at 12:37 PM Post #24,919 of 42,298
Quick question, Has anyone noticed a substantial sound difference between a stock Woo WA5 and one with the premium parts upgrad eand teflon tube circuits upgrade.  I am trying to figure out if it is worth the extra money. 

Apr 16, 2013 at 5:41 PM Post #24,920 of 42,298
Quote:
Quick question, Has anyone noticed a substantial sound difference between a stock Woo WA5 and one with the premium parts upgrad eand teflon tube circuits upgrade.  I am trying to figure out if it is worth the extra money. 

I am of the opinion that there is not a humanly audible difference between the two. Others may disagree. For me, I often opt to build or buy with premium parts though, not for a belief in better sound, but rather because of generally tighter production tolerances and most critically, improved reliability. 

Apr 17, 2013 at 12:01 AM Post #24,921 of 42,298
Same here I would upgrade just to have a higher quality beefier parts to increase reliability rather than sound since SQ can be quite subjective. Things like the Teflon sockets upgrade may be good in the long run.

Apr 17, 2013 at 12:16 AM Post #24,922 of 42,298
Unfortunately yes, ah well. lesson learned I guess.

That is very disappointing to hear. That anyone in this thread/board would take advantage of a generously setup group-buy like that ... well, they should be skulking in a deep pit of shame.

Even more surprised that you get treated this way and then go on to do another one for us. That says a lot about you. Seriously impressed my friend.

Apr 17, 2013 at 1:25 AM Post #24,923 of 42,298
Quote:

I am of the opinion that there is not a humanly audible difference between the two. Others may disagree. For me, I often opt to build or buy with premium parts though, not for a belief in better sound, but rather because of generally tighter production tolerances and most critically, improved reliability. 

Yeah, Jack quoted me $1800 plus shipping to upgrade my WA5LE.  Not worth it-- I'd rather get another set of headphones.  I hear there are some nice options at the $1800 dollar level!

Apr 17, 2013 at 2:46 AM Post #24,924 of 42,298
hey woo friends, need some advice. 

considering selling my HE-500. I like that its forgiving and has nice bass, but its not as transparent/detailed as my T1/HD800, i find myself using them less. the times the HE-500 is better, i still prefer the T1/HD800 and they're more comfortable. the LCD-2 is always there as well.

if i sell them, what would be best u think?

1. use money to  upgrade to WA22 and extra for 6SN7 tubes. accept the loss on my current tubes/amps, and move on. (i keep holding back on this having read mixed things about WA22 (from dull with LCD-2, lacking power for T1, not better than WA2 for T1, being too midrangey and forward, not huge difference balanced/unbalanced, noise with tubes), the differences might be worse, or simply not enough to justify the cost. 

2. use the money to buy 6SN7 adapters from Glenn + some tubes for my WA6-SE (i'm super happy with my WA6-SE, but i feel i can still improve with 6SN7 tubes). and also buying some tubes for WA2 (maybe some extra 5998s + top tier drive tubes), i feel these would also bring my WA2 to the next level since i find it lacking to my WA6-SE sometimes. or would the tubes make little difference?

3. something else? maybe just keep HE-500 for now?

Apr 17, 2013 at 3:01 AM Post #24,925 of 42,298
Quote:
hey woo friends, need some advice. 

considering selling my HE-500. I like that its forgiving and has nice bass, but its not as transparent/detailed as my T1/HD800, i find myself using them less. the times the HE-500 is better, i still prefer the T1/HD800 and they're more comfortable. the LCD-2 is always there as well.

if i sell them, what would be best u think?

1. use money to  upgrade to WA22 and extra for 6SN7 tubes. accept the loss on my current tubes/amps, and move on. (i keep holding back on this having read mixed things about WA22 (from dull with LCD-2, lacking power for T1, not better than WA2 for T1, being too midrangey and forward, not huge difference balanced/unbalanced, noise with tubes), the differences might be worse, or simply not enough to justify the cost. 

2. use the money to buy 6SN7 adapters from Glenn + some tubes for my WA6-SE (i'm super happy with my WA6-SE, but i feel i can still improve with 6SN7 tubes). and also buying some tubes for WA2 (maybe some extra 5998s + top tier drive tubes), i feel these would also bring my WA2 to the next level since i find it lacking to my WA6-SE sometimes. or would the tubes make little difference?

3. something else? maybe just keep HE-500 for now?

I think you shouldn't upgrade to the WA22 unless you're definite it's a commitment you want to make, since it's kind of a huge investment not just in terms of money but as well as adjusting your entire listening habits (figuring out how the phones pairing with them, getting balanced cables, etc.). I feel like it's one of those once you do it, you can't go back things, so definitely not a decision to be made lightly.

I used to have a lot of headphones, not as nice as yours certainly, but more pairs than I could listen to (I think at my max, I had 7 or 8). And they all had their appeal for me in some way, but since they weren't getting any head time, and I wasn't getting enjoyment then from having them, I downsized (a bit too far, methinks...). Think of it like an economics problem as far as maximizing your utility. If you don't use the HE-500 much and don't get much utility from it, then you should sell it and use the money to get something that'll bring you higher net utility. 

I'd personally give the tubes a try, especially since you're happy with your set up. I'm not familiar with those particular tubes or the SE to say, but the risk with tubes is while it could sound better to your ears, as everyone's tastes vary as do the tolerances of tubes considerably, it might actually sound worse! High risk, high reward?

Apr 17, 2013 at 3:15 AM Post #24,926 of 42,298
All I can add is that I definitely don't find the LCD2 dull with my WA22, especially not when I'm using a mighty 596 rectifier. And the HD800 is somewhat legendary with it.

Apr 17, 2013 at 5:28 AM Post #24,928 of 42,298
Quote:

+1

Apr 17, 2013 at 5:40 AM Post #24,929 of 42,298
I'll play devils advocate here on the subject of 6SN7's as there are some serious supporters here.  

I don't think they are an ideal tube for use in the 6SE, especially with your orthos.  I think the 6SN7 is a great tube, but it's better used elsewhere.  I wouldn't count on them to cure your upgraditis.

Quote:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back