Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Apr 15, 2013 at 5:06 PM Post #24,901 of 42,298
Quote:

You take long to Brunch SO! :D

Whoops! 
redface.gif
 I knew there was something I forgot to do, yesterday.

Apr 15, 2013 at 5:08 PM Post #24,902 of 42,298
Help! I am a newbie and would appreciate your help. I have got the Woo WA6. I wanted to try different rectifiers from the stock one. I got myself some Mullard GZ37 and 5Z4G. I tried three of them, and they all blew up right away.... Now I am afraid t try further, or even to put back the stock tube. Did I do something seriously wrong? Thanks for your advice.

Apr 15, 2013 at 6:13 PM Post #24,904 of 42,298
Thanks for the comments. I'm not rolling in it but do have a decent range I can spend. But as I should upgrade my DAC (currently a m-audio profire 610) and additional headphones down the line, being somewhat economic is a good idea. Just moved from living in a recording studio where everything could be loud to a bedroom with kids next door.
And just to clarify the K702's are the 65 anniversary model. Or we're you referencing the original K702?

Apr 15, 2013 at 6:14 PM Post #24,905 of 42,298
@joeribt.. I know I use the Sophia Princess 274B in my WA22, and it sounds brilliant. Other folks may use the EML 5u4g, which I'm up for trying. Both are brand new tubes.

I have read many reviews which is why I wanted to try different tubes. My concern is they all blew in the first second. I don't dare to try another rectifier until I know what I am doing wrong as the Mullard's are expensive tubes.

Apr 15, 2013 at 7:20 PM Post #24,906 of 42,298
maybe your amp is defective, you should send jack a message about it. WA6/WA6-SE have had issues with rectifiers blowing in the past, but i thought all of the problems had been fixed by now.

Apr 15, 2013 at 8:28 PM Post #24,907 of 42,298
I had a rectifier blow on me and took out a power tube in the process, so it's not un-heard of.  In my case, it was a bad tube.

Is this a new amp?

Apr 16, 2013 at 12:17 AM Post #24,909 of 42,298
maybe your amp is defective, you should send jack a message about it. WA6/WA6-SE have had issues with rectifiers blowing in the past, but i thought all of the problems had been fixed by now.

The amp is new but the stock rectifier worked fine. I tried three rectifiers, if they all blew it cannot be them? Is it safe to try again with the stock rectifier?

Apr 16, 2013 at 1:17 AM Post #24,910 of 42,298
Quote:
The amp is new but the stock rectifier worked fine. I tried three rectifiers, if they all blew it cannot be them? Is it safe to try again with the stock rectifier?

I'm with dubstepgirl.  I think that you should send your amp back, or at the very least call Jack and let him know what's going on.  Even though your stock rectifier was OK the first go round, I wouldn't risk it if I were you.  How long have you had the amp?  How long did you listen to it before you started rolling in the different rectifiers?

Apr 16, 2013 at 1:44 AM Post #24,911 of 42,298
I'm with dubstepgirl.  I think that you should send your amp back, or at the very least call Jack and let him know what's going on.  Even though your stock rectifier was OK the first go round, I wouldn't risk it if I were you.  How long have you had the amp?  How long did you listen to it before you started rolling in the different rectifiers?

Thanks for your suggestions. I have written to Jack. I've had the amp for a month. Have listened for a few hours each week. Not much I know. Should I just wait for Jack to reply or is it safe to use the stock tube?

Apr 16, 2013 at 2:06 AM Post #24,912 of 42,298
Quote:

its not the rectifiers, its the amp. it should not blow ANY rectifiers. wait for jack's reply. 

the stock rectifier might be safer than the others due to electrical differences and the way its heated and the currents and whatnot, but no rectifier should be giving you any problems and IMO, the stock might not be safe, just depends on whats wrong with the amp.

Apr 16, 2013 at 2:07 AM Post #24,913 of 42,298
Quote:
Thanks for your suggestions. I have written to Jack. I've had the amp for a month. Have listened for a few hours each week. Not much I know. Should I just wait for Jack to reply or is it safe to use the stock tube?

I mean honestly, this is impossible for any of us to tell you. Given the very limited symptoms (rectifiers blowing), the problem could be any one of a number of issues with the amp, including, despite the low probability, that maybe all of your tubes were defective. 

In my own natural curiosity, I'd be the type of person to try to it and see what happens. If it also blows then you know for sure the amp is defective, and given this fact, I don't see why under warranty Woo Audio wouldn't fix/replace both the amp and give you at least a new stock tube. 

So I'd try it myself. But that by no means means I think it is safe for the tube. In all likelihood, it might be a problem that occurred after you started rolling (or because of it, if a tube was bad?). 

Apr 16, 2013 at 2:09 AM Post #24,914 of 42,298
You're right. Also thanks to Dubstep Girl. I will try the stock rectifier, but not the last two remaining Mullard's and will wait for Jack to reply, which sometimes can take a bit. I do hope it's not the amp, as that would mean international shipping back to the US, but I fear that may what I need to be doing. It's just so cool to listen to headphones with them, hence my lack of patience :wink:

Apr 16, 2013 at 2:31 AM Post #24,915 of 42,298
Quote:
You're right. Also thanks to Dubstep Girl. I will try the stock rectifier, but not the last two remaining Mullard's and will wait for Jack to reply, which sometimes can take a bit. I do hope it's not the amp, as that would mean international shipping back to the US, but I fear that may what I need to be doing. It's just so cool to listen to headphones with them, hence my lack of patience :wink:

Yup, good luck. The good news is that the worst case scenario is that you have to get it fixed under warranty, so you'll be waiting, but at least you'll get your amp back in working order. I can understand the impatience, it is a very sweet sounding amp. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back