Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Apr 17, 2013 at 1:25 PM Post #24,947 of 42,298
Get some cheap ones from ebay to test. don't keep using good tubes.
If it does turn out to be the amp, who will pay for the tubes? What's the stock tube again?

Apr 17, 2013 at 1:28 PM Post #24,948 of 42,298
Apr 17, 2013 at 1:36 PM Post #24,952 of 42,298
Quote:

I got the tubes from eBay. I will have a go on these sovteks.

Get a stock replacement from Jack and ask him to test it first.

Do you know the voltage coming out of the wall jack?  Did you tried to use a different location/wall jack/surge protector?  I notice some of the 5U4G is more fragile than others.  The stock one can take a higher voltage than the Sofia or EML one.

Apr 17, 2013 at 1:45 PM Post #24,956 of 42,298
Quote:

OK - I will do this or, as suggested above, ask Jack for a tube which then hopefully falls under a warranty.
Thanks for all your help, you make me deal with my frustration :wink:

Personally I will order one from Jack and ask him to test it with WA6 before shipping. 

Apr 17, 2013 at 1:50 PM Post #24,957 of 42,298
Quote:
LCD-3 and DNA 2A3/WA5-LE won't happen. not enough money and i'd be stuck with stock tubes. also my DLIII might prove to be not enough with these amps (will it be good for WA22?) 

the WA22 all i would need to do is buy 6SN7's since i already have a good selection of 5U4G (black mullard GZ34, mighty 596, miss sophia, and the eml) and some 6080 (RCA 6AS7, TS 5998 and Sylvania 7236).

im totally for buying the WA22, but i wanted to be sure its a sure improvement in soundstage/imaging/detail/ transparency over the WA6-SE and WA2. and also, i would not want to lose any magic with the T1. the WA2 is almost primarily for the T1, its just smooth, musical, and well awesome, but it can be a little dull at times still. thats why i was considering tube rolling, maybe updating JAN-Sylvania 7308's to some nice CCa's or something would bring the last bit of improvement for it to be a perfect setup, for me, its really close already.

as for the WA6-SE, i'm enjoying it with HD 800 and LCD-2, the HD 800 just sound so right on it, detailed, open, energy, bass, but it still gets a tad bit too hot sometimes. i was considering 6SN7  because theres no perfect combination with the other tubes, either they're too harsh, or too dull, and i wanted to see if 6SN7 would give me some sweetness and tonality while still maintaining control and transparency. the T1 doesn't do too well with WA6-SE, too bright.

of course, my worries with the WA22 are these: 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/632848/wa2-or-wa22-for-beyerdynamic-t1 this one about T1 not having power

and also http://www.head-fi.org/t/615810/the-beauty-and-the-beast-woo-wa2-vs-wa22 this one, seems i could basically replace WA6-SE with WA22 and the review would be exactly the same. 

and a few other things of course, however, if its enough of an upgrade to get the WA22, then i'd definitely buy it. i would expect it to be better than either WA2 and WA6-SE to a noticeable degree, and to be not as lush as WA2, but not as bright and aggressive as a WA6-SE (ive actually read somewhere that WA6-SE was more tubish and musical). also, it would have to be magical with the T1 similar to WA2. (ive read somewhere also that the WA22 was better with T1 than some other similarly priced amps, that there is synergy).

I can't comment on the magic, but I cannot imagine that the 22 is going to lack power.  Granted I don't own a pair of T1's, but with my HD650s (600 ohms) the volume is at near earbleed level when I have the attenuator at 12 o'clock.  I can go slightly higher with the LCD 2s, but not much, and generally I listen at much lower levels.

I think at this level it is so much a matter of personal taste that I don't think much advice that can be given here is tremendously useful.  I love the sound that I get with my 22/LCD2 combo and the 22/HD650 combo.  That said, there are many here who would poo-poo this as being beneath them, while others here dream of such a set-up but cannot justify the cost.  One problem is it's difficult to A/B the amps your interested in with what you have, of course, so you often have to make the decision without having much experience.  I chose to get a WA22 with upgraded tubes over the WA5LE with stock tubes based on long term cost (300B tubes can be just silly expensive, imho) and am not looking back.  Don't spend too much time maximizing over what amp you're listening to and concentrate on just listening to the music.  If you really feel that the WA6SE is leaving your music flat, jettison it and try something else.  But if you're looking to tweak out that last tiny bit that you _think_ you might be missing, you have to decide if it's worth the money.

I know that I'm not being terribly helpful, but there you are.  Best of luck with your decision!

Apr 17, 2013 at 1:54 PM Post #24,958 of 42,298
Quote:
I can't comment on the magic, but I cannot imagine that the 22 is going to lack power.  Granted I don't own a pair of T1's, but with my HD650s (600 ohms) the volume is at near earbleed level when I have the attenuator at 12 o'clock.  I can go slightly higher with the LCD 2s, but not much, and generally I listen at much lower levels.

Is this new?  I was away from head-fi for few months...

Apr 17, 2013 at 2:08 PM Post #24,959 of 42,298
I have the 2, 6se and 22 and find them all quite different but I do find the GEC A1834 the best '6AS7G' though I do like the 5998  and 7236 valves. I will probably end up with A1834 in the 2 and 5998 in the 22. You seem to have many of the good rectifiers already (596 / metal GZ34) etc. Best 6SN7 for the 22 will be a 6F8G and adapter though is not a tube I would use in the 6SE but there are lots of good US / UK ones to allow a rolling balance for other tubes. Atm I like the Mullard CV2493 in 6se (selected low noise version of CV2492) which is basically an 6922 across the pond (E88CC here or E88CC-01 for the low noise version Mullard occasdionally did). Plenty more life in rolling tubes :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back