Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Mar 4, 2013 at 1:02 AM Post #24,406 of 42,298
Quote:

Regarding the EML 5U4G Mesh, it was the Original Poster who had problems with the EML Glass ending in premature death. This problem was researched and solved by MOT 2359glenn ( our resident tube guru) by getting the OP to replace the EML with the USAF-596. That's the short version of how the '596' came into prominence here in the first place. 

Fortunately I've had no problems.  I wonder-- with the 596 being NOS, if finding a good matching pair became a problem for anyone on the 2 rectifier Woo amps?

Mar 4, 2013 at 1:08 AM Post #24,407 of 42,298
I guess we gonna find out Monday morning; Monday midday...
popcorn.gif

Mar 4, 2013 at 2:09 AM Post #24,408 of 42,298
Quote:

Regarding the EML 5U4G Mesh, it was the Original Poster who had problems with the EML Glass ending in premature death. This problem was researched and solved by MOT 2359glenn ( our resident tube guru) by getting the OP to replace the EML with the USAF-596. That's the short version of how the '596' came into prominence here in the first place. 

He (dannie01) and a few other WA5/LE like the sound of The Mighty 596 as well. When you've the chance, send dannie01 and musicman59 a PM for their recommendations with this Woo.

i talked to a local tube shop couple months ago and he told me i can also try some 5z3, of course with an adoptor.  anybody try that? 

Mar 4, 2013 at 2:57 AM Post #24,409 of 42,298
Quote:

I was thinking of trying one in my WA22... are there any concerns? In what amp and/or under what circumstances did the EML fail?

Mar 4, 2013 at 3:22 AM Post #24,410 of 42,298
Quote:
Quote:

I was thinking of trying one in my WA22... are there any concerns? In what amp and/or under what circumstances did the EML fail?

Will be fine in the '22.' The aforementioned incident with EML Glass happened only with the WA5/LE and with certain batches of rectifiers from the maker. Haven't any knowledge if either Woo or EML made any changes from 2011.

Mar 4, 2013 at 4:18 AM Post #24,411 of 42,298
Hi All,

Have been reading great feed back in woof amps and I am considering an entry level Woo amp may be a WA6. Just wondering how it would pair to Grados 225. I do not see many people in the thread pairng Grodos with Woo at all.

Another opinion would be highly apprciated, if I should bite the bullet and go for WA6 SE version? I'm on a budget, and understand that may have to set aside a bit more for the tubes too.

Many thanks in advance for you thoughts,

Pat

Mar 4, 2013 at 5:29 AM Post #24,412 of 42,298
Quote:
Hi All,

Have been reading great feed back in woof amps and I am considering an entry level Woo amp may be a WA6. Just wondering how it would pair to Grados 225. I do not see many people in the thread pairng Grodos with Woo at all.

Another opinion would be highly apprciated, if I should bite the bullet and go for WA6 SE version? I'm on a budget, and understand that may have to set aside a bit more for the tubes too.

Pat

If you are on a budget, the WA6 is perfect for you needs already. The Grados aren't very demanding and unless you plan on needing more power in future, I'd go with the WA6. The real game changers are the cans and the source quality.

Mar 4, 2013 at 11:05 AM Post #24,413 of 42,298
Quote:
Hi All,

Pat

I pair the WA6 with the 325i.  I think it sounds very, very good.  I went with the Sophia Princess but the stock Shuggie is pretty good.  The SE was pushing my price limit and I really don't have enough real estate on my shelving to accomodate a two piece unit.  I'm happy with my present combination.  I think you will be, too.  2 cents.

Mar 4, 2013 at 1:45 PM Post #24,415 of 42,298
Quote:

I have the WA5LE, and I found the sound decent with the stock tubes, but not overly impressive.  Upgrading the tubes made a big difference.  I did a ton of research, so here's how I went and why:

Rectifier: EML 5U4G Mesh

This was the easiest choice.  I would really have gone for a vintage set of rectifiers, but I was very concerned about matching them.  I do wonder how the amp would perform with a pair of GZ34s or a pair of 596s, but that's a big cost investment that may or may not pay off.  Nearly every high-end review of the WA5 was based on the EML mesh, so I felt safe in that decision.

Driver: PSVane 181 TII

This is my weakest area for assessment.  Having owned a WA6 before, I was hard pressed to find drivers I really enjoyed.  The options aren't all that many here-- It came down to the Sophia, which I couldn't find many reviews about-- or the PSVane.  The black treasures aren't made any longer, and the distributor said she tested the TIIs (Treasure series 2) and found them exceeding the Black Treasures in nearly every way.  The TIIs are not as attractive as the Black Treasure, they are silver coated on the inside with an orange base.  But they sound clean, and that's my priority when choosing a power tube.  I don't want the power tube to overdrive or add too much to the sound characteristic, I prefer them to be relatively transparent with a lot of pure power for my massive HD800 bass drivers.  The PSVane seems to do that.

Output: EML 300B mesh

There is more conflicting information on the 300B choices out there than anything else.  Part of the problem is that the most recent thorough 300B shootout was done in 2002!  Many of today's best 300B tubes on the market weren't available back then, and some in the shootout are no longer made.  It comes down to two camps-- original Western Electric sound-- warm, not too much bass, but very very clean--- or the modern sound-- new designs which extend the bass deep, but in the process lose some of the WE magic.  Tubes in the WE camp include the Western Electric itself (out of my price range at $2000 and up) the PSVane replicas, KR Audio, JJ Electronic, EML 300B Mesh (this one's actually more in the middle) and a few others-- In the modern camp-- Sophia Royal Princess, Sophia Carbon Princess, EML 300B XLS (EML's foray into carbon), Takatsuki 300B.  

Of them all-- the Western is the sure-fire bet.  It's tested, will last a long time, but will cost you the price of your amp to get a pair, if you can find them at all.  They are going to production again, SUPPOSEDLY, in 2014.  God knows if its true.  The next best by many accounts is the Takatsuki, but find a distributor-- you have to go through Japan to get them and they cost $1600-$1800.  No thanks.  The EML 300B XLS and the Sophia Royal Princess are genuine contenders, they are supposed to produce a deeper bass than the WE 300B.  But they lose a little musicality in doing so, if you believe the reviews.   AVVT was another highly rated-- but they're out of business.

I chose the EML 300B mesh because I knew it would blow out the soundstage on my HD800, without sacrificing detail.  Mesh plates (true mesh plates-- not Sophia mesh plates, which are stamped) are well known to produce a massive soundstage, and from my experience with these, that is most certainly true.  This is a hybrid design-- it's based on the Western Electric 300B, but it is not a replica-- it's EML's own design.  Also one respected reviewer whom I often agree with puts the EML 300B mesh above all other 300Bs except the Western Electric.  They are amazing to my ear, but I do wonder if the Royal Princess or the EML 300B XLS would dig the bass in deeper.  I'm happy with the EML 300B Mesh, at any rate.  The EML 300B mesh is gorgeous to look at, but under power-- almost no glow! 

One other word-- be very careful when pairing tubes with your WA5, the space is very very very tight between the output and driver sockets.  Not all large bottles will fit together.  My EML 300B mesh and PSVane 181's have an index card's thickness between them.  They fit, but barely.

I had the same tubes and the first one out of my WA5-LE was the 81 drivers. i di dnot like hte sound compared to other NOS. Currenlty I am using TS BG/RP 6F8G and love them.

The second one replaced but I still have them were the EML 5U4G Mesh. They were replaced by the 596. If I wan tmore dyanmics I use the 596, if i want a more melow sound I go with the EML btu to be honest the EML have been in their boxes for months.

I am still using the EML 300B Mesh. Love their sound.
Quote:
Hi wooians,
I had recently purchased a WA-5 with all the capacitor trimmings with the stock tubes (shuguang 300b-98, shuguang 247a, ge 6sn7).  Upon first firing it up, I had great expectations, as it was better than my Antique Sound Lab MG-head Mk III without any break in and, of course, the great professional reviews and on Head-fi, but I can't say I am happy with the sound.
frown.gif

It has about 150 hours on it, not just on, but music running through it, which is the break in time that the manual claims is needed.  The amp seems to lack upper end extension, deep bass, holography and bloom, all of which, from what I have read, the WA-5 should have.  Cranking the volume can get me the bass/slam, but one of the reasons I bought the Woo was for low volume satisfaction.  

Purchasing tube upgrades, immediately after spending over $4,000 already, was not what I had in mind.  Perhaps this is just the single ended 300b "sound" and what I'm hearing is the "end game".  Don't get me wrong, however, I am a "bottlehead" and have other single ended devices.  Please tell me that the Woo will continue to evolve and improve.  
blink.gif

Upgrade the tubes. They make a big difference. I would go with a pair of 596 or Brimar 5R4GY as rectifiers. TungSol 6F8G drivers and the EML 300B Mesh or at least a Sophia for power tubes.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Mar 4, 2013 at 5:57 PM Post #24,416 of 42,298
Hello everyone,

I have been thinking about getting a Woo headphone amp for some time now, but the more I read the more the consensus seems that you have to roll and roll to get a Woo to sound good. This is a big concern for me.

in my experience with good tube amps, especially a good SET amp, the amp will sound very good with stock tubes provided by the manufacturer as soon as you run it in (burn in). Tube rolling provides a different perspective of basically the same sound, but does not completely transform it into something else. Sure, sometimes you will find a combination of tube magic between driver and power tube, or rectifier and power tube, but put it all back with the stock tubes and you still have the inherently good tube amp that you bought to begin with.

So here is my question about Woo Audio products. Does a Woo Amp sound like a good SET amp should out of the box with the original tube types that it was designed for? Or do you really have to reinvent the thing with crazy adapters and other worldly exotic strangeness to make it sound good?
Maybe it's just a head-fi thing. I'm confused. . . . 
confused.gif

Mar 4, 2013 at 7:36 PM Post #24,417 of 42,298
I think it's a head-fi thing...bunch of unsatisfied music loving nerds we are that can't leave well enough alone (ok, maybe that's just me).  My experience with the WA3 SET/OTL is that it is near colorless and sounds great with the designed tube configuration.  Unless the tube is pretty far from the good part of its operating curve, they all sound pretty similar to me (different shades of good).

I stopped taking placebos after I started modding my Woo.  That being said, most will say the 6080/6AS7 is not the best output tube and can be noisy...I will agree with that statement.  
ph34r.gif

Audiophilia is a lot like insanity...putting the same series tube in the socket and expecting a different result.  
popcorn.gif

Hello everyone,

I have been thinking about getting a Woo headphone amp for some time now, but the more I read the more the consensus seems that you have to roll and roll to get a Woo to sound good. This is a big concern for me.

in my experience with good tube amps, especially a good SET amp, the amp will sound very good with stock tubes provided by the manufacturer as soon as you run it in (burn in). Tube rolling provides a different perspective of basically the same sound, but does not completely transform it into something else. Sure, sometimes you will find a combination of tube magic between driver and power tube, or rectifier and power tube, but put it all back with the stock tubes and you still have the inherently good tube amp that you bought to begin with.

So here is my question about Woo Audio products. Does a Woo Amp sound like a good SET amp should out of the box with the original tube types that it was designed for? Or do you really have to reinvent the thing with crazy adapters and other worldly exotic strangeness to make it sound good?
Maybe it's just a head-fi thing. I'm confused. . . . 

Mar 4, 2013 at 7:37 PM Post #24,418 of 42,298
all 3 different woo amps i've had have sounded great with whatever tubes in them.
everybody just gets a little crazy with the tube rolling because they can
and certainly some non stock tubes sound better.
but even the WA3 sounded great stock to me.
Granted i have not heard my 6SE with the stock tubes because mine came with the Sophia.
In my opinion woo amps are great tube amps
you could probably do a little better than the 6SE with a cavali or leben.
but you're also doubling the price at least.

Mar 4, 2013 at 8:41 PM Post #24,419 of 42,298
My nickle's worth. Two different woo amps here; WA3+ and WA7. WA7 rocks with stock Sovtek tubes, dead quiet, sounds great with low and high impedance cans. WA3 may be priced as entry to woo products but it is not an entry level OTL SET. It sounds very, very good paired with higher impedance headphones. 6080/6AS7 can have some residual hum which can be minimized several ways including rolling the tubes. One of my current favorites is a Sino 6AS7G which was about $14US. Improvements can be had with Tung-Sol 5998 etc. It should be remembered that these improvements are often described in such a way as to forget that the stock woo amp started the listener very high on the tube headphone amp performance curve.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back