Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Mar 3, 2013 at 3:00 PM Post #24,391 of 42,298
Quote:

How are those HE-500 sound with WA6SE?  Hmm...I got my Glenn's 596 adapter's antennae facing backward (opposite from yours).  

i really like the HE-500 sound with the WA6-SE, sounds very good, good soundstage, lots of air and detail while having a really dynamic sound, i don't know if theres better synergy to be had with other amps, but i really like how it sounds (anyone hear HE-500 with WA22 yet?), well driven and with not too much coloration. the WA6-SE keeps surprising me, it really is an amazing amp. the WA2 unfortunately cannot drive the HE-500 very well.

Quote:
DSG, it is clearly all about the mighty 596!

yes the 596 is an awesome tube, sophia doesn't get much time in the WA6-SE anymore.

Mar 3, 2013 at 5:38 PM Post #24,392 of 42,298
Quote:

My antennae face @ 4 o'clock......we're unique like that.
wink.gif
 Perhaps, fine-tuning for radio signals in outer space.

Lol, I was just wondered "Did I plug it in the wrong way?"...D'oh...no funny burning smell though.  May be just a different batch.

Mar 3, 2013 at 7:00 PM Post #24,393 of 42,298
Hi wooians,
I had recently purchased a WA-5 with all the capacitor trimmings with the stock tubes (shuguang 300b-98, shuguang 247a, ge 6sn7).  Upon first firing it up, I had great expectations, as it was better than my Antique Sound Lab MG-head Mk III without any break in and, of course, the great professional reviews and on Head-fi, but I can't say I am happy with the sound.
frown.gif

It has about 150 hours on it, not just on, but music running through it, which is the break in time that the manual claims is needed.  The amp seems to lack upper end extension, deep bass, holography and bloom, all of which, from what I have read, the WA-5 should have.  Cranking the volume can get me the bass/slam, but one of the reasons I bought the Woo was for low volume satisfaction.  

Purchasing tube upgrades, immediately after spending over $4,000 already, was not what I had in mind.  Perhaps this is just the single ended 300b "sound" and what I'm hearing is the "end game".  Don't get me wrong, however, I am a "bottlehead" and have other single ended devices.  Please tell me that the Woo will continue to evolve and improve.  
blink.gif

Mar 3, 2013 at 7:28 PM Post #24,395 of 42,298
Quote:
my new HE-500 with WA6-SE! 

drives them very well, was worried it wouldn't be able to drive them well at first, but it gets loud at just 9/10 o clock, 11 o clock being very loud. 

Hey Girl, 
How's the amp drive the HE-500 on the stock tube set? I read somewhere you get a lot more power with the adapters and the 6GL7 type tubes. 

Mar 3, 2013 at 7:38 PM Post #24,396 of 42,298
Quote:

Hey Girl, 
How's the amp drive the HE-500 on the stock tube set? I read somewhere you get a lot more power with the adapters and the 6GL7 type tubes. 

rolled in the stock sylvania 6ew7 (the 6de7 will be roughly the same gain) and shuguang 274b to test it out for ya. 

umm normal listening volume is 10-11 o clock or so with noon being loud and 1 o clock being too much. 

it drives them good, no problems with bass or anything. of course the sound isn't as good as with upgrades, but its more than enough to drive them. almost any headphones works out of the WA6-SE, never needing to go past noon to become very loud.

if you feel like you want more gain without spending money on the 6GL7, try the 6DR7, they're pretty good though they tend to be a little too lush at times

Mar 3, 2013 at 7:50 PM Post #24,398 of 42,298
Quote:
Good to know, thanks. 
My amp should be here about Tuesday. Anyone try the 6SE with IEM's? Is it  quiet enough? 

gratz.

yes, it is quiet enough for IEM use, there is noise, but only past when the gain surpasses the amount needed to drive IEM's. 

just tested it on mine (Monster Turbine Gold), and its silent when music is playing, there is a slight hiss noise when no music is playing, but its not really noticeable, and that is at the slightly over normal listening volume level on the gain knob.

Mar 3, 2013 at 9:17 PM Post #24,399 of 42,298
Quote:
Hi wooians,
I had recently purchased a WA-5 with all the capacitor trimmings with the stock tubes (shuguang 300b-98, shuguang 247a, ge 6sn7).  Upon first firing it up, I had great expectations, as it was better than my Antique Sound Lab MG-head Mk III without any break in and, of course, the great professional reviews and on Head-fi, but I can't say I am happy with the sound.
frown.gif

It has about 150 hours on it, not just on, but music running through it, which is the break in time that the manual claims is needed.  The amp seems to lack upper end extension, deep bass, holography and bloom, all of which, from what I have read, the WA-5 should have.  Cranking the volume can get me the bass/slam, but one of the reasons I bought the Woo was for low volume satisfaction.  

Purchasing tube upgrades, immediately after spending over $4,000 already, was not what I had in mind.  Perhaps this is just the single ended 300b "sound" and what I'm hearing is the "end game".  Don't get me wrong, however, I am a "bottlehead" and have other single ended devices.  Please tell me that the Woo will continue to evolve and improve.  
blink.gif

i thought wa5 sound pretty amazing with just stock tubes.  what headphones are you using?  what source are you feeling the wa5?  from my experience, i hate ultrasone with wa5, from hfi780 to ed8 to signature pro. 

Mar 3, 2013 at 9:21 PM Post #24,400 of 42,298
Quote:

i thought wa5 sound pretty amazing with just stock tubes.  what headphones are you using?  what source are you feeling the wa5?  from my experience, i hate ultrasone with wa5, from hfi780 to ed8 to signature pro. 

i had ultrasone pro 900 with the WA6-SE and they didn't sound too impressive either

Mar 3, 2013 at 10:58 PM Post #24,402 of 42,298
Quote:

blink.gif

I have the WA5LE, and I found the sound decent with the stock tubes, but not overly impressive.  Upgrading the tubes made a big difference.  I did a ton of research, so here's how I went and why:

Rectifier: EML 5U4G Mesh

This was the easiest choice.  I would really have gone for a vintage set of rectifiers, but I was very concerned about matching them.  I do wonder how the amp would perform with a pair of GZ34s or a pair of 596s, but that's a big cost investment that may or may not pay off.  Nearly every high-end review of the WA5 was based on the EML mesh, so I felt safe in that decision.

Driver: PSVane 181 TII

This is my weakest area for assessment.  Having owned a WA6 before, I was hard pressed to find drivers I really enjoyed.  The options aren't all that many here-- It came down to the Sophia, which I couldn't find many reviews about-- or the PSVane.  The black treasures aren't made any longer, and the distributor said she tested the TIIs (Treasure series 2) and found them exceeding the Black Treasures in nearly every way.  The TIIs are not as attractive as the Black Treasure, they are silver coated on the inside with an orange base.  But they sound clean, and that's my priority when choosing a power tube.  I don't want the power tube to overdrive or add too much to the sound characteristic, I prefer them to be relatively transparent with a lot of pure power for my massive HD800 bass drivers.  The PSVane seems to do that.

Output: EML 300B mesh

There is more conflicting information on the 300B choices out there than anything else.  Part of the problem is that the most recent thorough 300B shootout was done in 2002!  Many of today's best 300B tubes on the market weren't available back then, and some in the shootout are no longer made.  It comes down to two camps-- original Western Electric sound-- warm, not too much bass, but very very clean--- or the modern sound-- new designs which extend the bass deep, but in the process lose some of the WE magic.  Tubes in the WE camp include the Western Electric itself (out of my price range at $2000 and up) the PSVane replicas, KR Audio, JJ Electronic, EML 300B Mesh (this one's actually more in the middle) and a few others-- In the modern camp-- Sophia Royal Princess, Sophia Carbon Princess, EML 300B XLS (EML's foray into carbon), Takatsuki 300B.  

Of them all-- the Western is the sure-fire bet.  It's tested, will last a long time, but will cost you the price of your amp to get a pair, if you can find them at all.  They are going to production again, SUPPOSEDLY, in 2014.  God knows if its true.  The next best by many accounts is the Takatsuki, but find a distributor-- you have to go through Japan to get them and they cost $1600-$1800.  No thanks.  The EML 300B XLS and the Sophia Royal Princess are genuine contenders, they are supposed to produce a deeper bass than the WE 300B.  But they lose a little musicality in doing so, if you believe the reviews.   AVVT was another highly rated-- but they're out of business.

I chose the EML 300B mesh because I knew it would blow out the soundstage on my HD800, without sacrificing detail.  Mesh plates (true mesh plates-- not Sophia mesh plates, which are stamped) are well known to produce a massive soundstage, and from my experience with these, that is most certainly true.  This is a hybrid design-- it's based on the Western Electric 300B, but it is not a replica-- it's EML's own design.  Also one respected reviewer whom I often agree with puts the EML 300B mesh above all other 300Bs except the Western Electric.  They are amazing to my ear, but I do wonder if the Royal Princess or the EML 300B XLS would dig the bass in deeper.  I'm happy with the EML 300B Mesh, at any rate.  The EML 300B mesh is gorgeous to look at, but under power-- almost no glow! 

One other word-- be very careful when pairing tubes with your WA5, the space is very very very tight between the output and driver sockets.  Not all large bottles will fit together.  My EML 300B mesh and PSVane 181's have an index card's thickness between them.  They fit, but barely.

Mar 3, 2013 at 11:37 PM Post #24,403 of 42,298
Quote:
blink.gif

This $4,000 amp should have sounded like what you had in mind. It is just unfortunate that it doesn't. But I believe you are in possession of a instrument that is capable of becoming the best ever and will eventually "fit" your music needs. This amp's music capabilities must be explored and tailored to your taste. This amp would have satisfied someone else's "sound" but since it doesn't seem to come close to your expectations, alternative tubes may bring you there. Subjective impressions can be a complicated matter.

Mar 4, 2013 at 12:09 AM Post #24,404 of 42,298
If there's one thing I have learned since I got into the whole headfi thing, spending increasing amounts of money (not quite into your territory) is that cost does not necessarily correlate to musical enjoyment, and increasing cost does not correlate to increasing enjoyment (not just diminishing returns, but even none to negative :p)

In the end it's more about finding what -you like best- rather than -the best-, at whatever price-level you can push for. And while your WA5 may not be the eargasm machine you expected for the price, I'm sure you can tailor it to your enjoyment, as others have already pointed out.

Mar 4, 2013 at 12:17 AM Post #24,405 of 42,298
Quote:
Quote:

blink.gif

Rectifier: EML 5U4G Mesh

This was the easiest choice.  I would really have gone for a vintage set of rectifiers, but I was very concerned about matching them.  I do wonder how the amp would perform with a pair of GZ34s or a pair of 596s, but that's a big cost investment that may or may not pay off.  Nearly every high-end review of the WA5 was based on the EML mesh, so I felt safe in that decision.

Regarding the EML 5U4G Mesh, it was the Original Poster who had problems with the EML Glass ending in premature death. This problem was researched and solved by MOT 2359glenn ( our resident tube guru) by getting the OP to replace the EML with the USAF-596. That's the short version of how the '596' came into prominence here in the first place. 

He (dannie01) and a few other WA5/LE like the sound of The Mighty 596 as well. When you've the chance, send dannie01 and musicman59 a PM for their recommendations with this Woo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back