Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Feb 17, 2013 at 5:40 PM Post #24,211 of 42,298
For the last year I've been driving my HD800's with a HeadRoom "Maxed Out" Desktop amp but last month, at the Denver, NC mini meet, I got to hear them driven by a WA22. I really loved the combination and a couple of days later amcananey had a mint black WA22 for sale which worked out well for everyone except my wallet. It came with a Sofia Princess and I've since rolled in a pair of Sylvania 7236 Power Tubes that I got from Jack. My big rig is all tubes and I tend to favor listening to solo singers backed by small combos so, based on my impressions of earlier posts, I think a pair of Shuguang Treasure's are next.

I have a question about aftermarket cables though. Can anyone give me some guidance on whether to get balanced cables or not? I'm driving the Woo with the balanced outs from my Logitech Transporter but from reading through the forum there appears to be a difference of opinion as to whether the WA22 is balanced all the way through. If there is an improvement in the sound, does it make any difference if I get the 4pin or 3pin termination? Thanks.

Congrats! I just rolled a recently-acquired backup Princess into my WA22 as well. It's been a while, and I still love the sound of this tube with the 7236's and the Shuguang Treasure drivers. Definitely recommended with the HD800!

Regardless of the debate of whether the WA22 qualifies as balanced or not (evidently it depends upon your interpretation of the term :rolleyes:), the consensus on using balanced cables from a balanced source is:
[COLOR=FF00AA]DO IT![/COLOR]
The WA22 definitely improves when using a balanced source.

Feb 17, 2013 at 6:18 PM Post #24,212 of 42,298
Quote:
Congrats! I just rolled a recently-acquired backup Princess into my WA22 as well. It's been a while, and I still love the sound of this tube with the 7236's and the Shuguang Treasure drivers. Definitely recommended with the HD800!

Regardless of the debate of whether the WA22 qualifies as balanced or not (evidently it depends upon your interpretation of the term
rolleyes.gif
), the consensus on using balanced cables from a balanced source is:
DO IT!
The WA22 definitely improves when using a balanced source.

Thanks for the response. I am using a balanced source but I've not been able to come up with any information on whether the WA22 balanced outs make any difference. 

On another note, I'd like to post a pic of my rig but can't get the image to embed in my post like every one else. If I use the attach button it ends up as a downloadable file in my post and if I cut and paste the image displays in the editor but not in my post. Something simple that I'm doing wrong? Thanks. 

Feb 17, 2013 at 8:40 PM Post #24,213 of 42,298
It is my understanding that the W22 needs a balanced source for full performance but for the output it does not matter what you use since the same level power is available for single ended as well. I would think a re-cable may make more of a different in this situation.

Feb 17, 2013 at 9:55 PM Post #24,214 of 42,298
Quote:
On another note, I'd like to post a pic of my rig but can't get the image to embed in my post like every one else. If I use the attach button it ends up as a downloadable file in my post and if I cut and paste the image displays in the editor but not in my post. Something simple that I'm doing wrong? Thanks. 

No idea, but try closing your browser and log back in...

Feb 18, 2013 at 5:45 AM Post #24,216 of 42,298
Quote:
This is where my new (used) WA22 ended up.

Nice, I see that you are using the Transporter for a source. Same setup here as well. I use a balanced cable from APureSound V3  Balanced Headphone Cable. I t uses 3pin XLR to connect to the WA22. I use a Blue Jeans from the transporter to the WA22

Feb 18, 2013 at 5:57 AM Post #24,217 of 42,298
Quote:
Nice, I see that you are using the Transporter for a source. Same setup here as well. I use a balanced cable from APureSound V3  Balanced Headphone Cable. I t uses 3pin XLR to connect to the Transporter.

I'm using Audioquest Colorado balanced interconnects.

Feb 18, 2013 at 6:01 AM Post #24,218 of 42,298
This is the view out the window next to my new (used) WA22 yesterday morning. It was our first snow in over two years. Sometimes when the sun is just coming up and lighting the treetops in an orange glow it looks like the world is warming up it's tubes to start the new day.

Feb 18, 2013 at 6:08 AM Post #24,220 of 42,298
Quote:
This is the view out the window next to my new (used) WA22 yesterday morning. It was our first snow in over two years. Sometimes when the sun is just coming up and lighting the treetops in an orange glow it looks like the world is warming up it's tubes to start the new day.

What a lovely view you have there dave! Cherish it! I'm green with jealous rage right now hahaha. 
tongue.gif

How are the WA22s sounding so far? 
beyersmile.png

Feb 18, 2013 at 7:20 AM Post #24,222 of 42,298
Quote:

What a lovely view you have there dave! Cherish it! I'm green with jealous rage right now hahaha. 
tongue.gif

How are the WA22s sounding so far? 
beyersmile.png

I'm really pleased with the WA22. With my solid state rig the highs from my HD800's were always a little aggressive for my personal taste and the type of music that I listen to. The tubes seem to have tamed that problem while still retaining detail and sparkle. I'm a fan!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back