Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Jan 16, 2013 at 6:26 PM Post #23,881 of 42,298
It's true... I have two silver Woo's for a reason!!  The measurements were in Ster-e-o-file a while back... amazing results.  

Had my first "issue" with a Woo amp this week.  I blew a fuse in my GES.  Waiting on a replacement, and of course hoping it's not a symptom of anything significant.  I had some other issues with another electrostatic amp and I find that in my new home in the UK I might be subject to more voltage swings than I am used to.  I measured the line yesterday, early, and it was just over 230V.  Tonight I measured it late and it was dancing all over between 238 and 240 volts!  Very interesting... and has me thinking both amp issues are voltage related.

Jan 16, 2013 at 6:56 PM Post #23,882 of 42,298
I have always preferred Silver components.  I just bought an Anthem AVM 50v pre/pro, and was crestfallen to learn they don't make them in silver anymore....black only.....what, is Henry Ford running all the audio companies these days  ? :)

Jan 16, 2013 at 6:57 PM Post #23,883 of 42,298
Quote:
I'm always pretty amazed to see people buying tube amps without knowing anything about tubes or before having done any research whatsoever on tubes (how they're made, how it works, equivalents, do's and dont's, etc)

Maybe that's just me :D

So some of us actually research these things first? I just started cheap, and worked my way up to my Woo. Rolled a few tubes along the way but that still didn't prepare me...

It has been a happy voyage of discovery, I wouldn't have it any other way
atsmile.gif

Quote:
of course, you can avoid this issue altogether by going with the WA22 or WA6-SE

Wouldn't a regular WA6 also work well with Grados? They're not very demanding so it might give you more attenuation than the SE.

Quote:
It's true... I have two silver Woo's for a reason!!  The measurements were in Ster-e-o-file a while back... amazing results.  

Had my first "issue" with a Woo amp this week.  I blew a fuse in my GES.  Waiting on a replacement, and of course hoping it's not a symptom of anything significant.  I had some other issues with another electrostatic amp and I find that in my new home in the UK I might be subject to more voltage swings than I am used to.  I measured the line yesterday, early, and it was just over 230V.  Tonight I measured it late and it was dancing all over between 238 and 240 volts!  Very interesting... and has me thinking both amp issues are voltage related.

Opportunity knocks... now is your chance to audition an audiophile-quality fuse, if you're so inclined.
popcorn.gif

Jan 16, 2013 at 7:26 PM Post #23,884 of 42,298
Quote:

So some of us actually research these things first? I just started cheap, and worked my way up to my Woo. Rolled a few tubes along the way but that still didn't prepare me...

It has been a happy voyage of discovery, I wouldn't have it any other way
atsmile.gif

i've gone into my purchases a little blind to the tubes as well.
Except with my WA2 i sort of had an idea because i moved to it from a wa3.

i like not knowing.  Get the amp, listen to it, love it, then a few weeks or months later look at a new adventure by rolling.

And you really can tell, if you look very hard and very closely at the silver one, that it does indeed measure and sound better.
atsmile.gif

Jan 16, 2013 at 7:32 PM Post #23,885 of 42,298
I bought my first tubed component because Skylab told me to. I had no clue what tubes were, what they did, that there were many different kinds, etc. It was only after getting in the game that I started to learn. I would guess this is the norm as opposed to the exception.

Isn't this true of most hobbies and obsessions?

Jan 17, 2013 at 12:54 AM Post #23,886 of 42,298
Quote:
I bought my first tubed component because Skylab told me to. I had no clue what tubes were, what they did, that there were many different kinds, etc. It was only after getting in the game that I started to learn. I would guess this is the norm as opposed to the exception.

Isn't this true of most hobbies and obsessions?

Yes!

Look at your nice tube collection now.

Jan 17, 2013 at 1:39 PM Post #23,887 of 42,298
Only 150 pages left to go (pant, gasp) and then I'll have read the entire 
thread.   It's going to seem weird not reading over 100 posts per day.
Now I'll just be listening instead of "multi-tasking". 
size]

Hibuck...

Jan 17, 2013 at 8:30 PM Post #23,888 of 42,298
My WA2 is gone.
frown.gif

I gave it one last run with my HD650's before i boxed her up.
I really think i prefer the 2 over the 6SE with the HD650.
I hope the new owner loves it as much as I did.

Jan 17, 2013 at 9:51 PM Post #23,890 of 42,298
Good story. Thanks for sharing.

Jan 18, 2013 at 1:53 AM Post #23,891 of 42,298
X2

Jan 18, 2013 at 12:02 PM Post #23,893 of 42,298
Indeed
Such a great sounding amp

A request for anyone who knows

I remember a while back seeing some pictures from inside the Woo business showing them making some of the stuff and of their workspaces and partially completed projects.
I can't for the life of me find it again.
Did i dream it up or have these pictures been posted somewhere?

Jan 18, 2013 at 12:33 PM Post #23,894 of 42,298
Quote:
A request for anyone who knows

I remember a while back seeing some pictures from inside the Woo business showing them making some of the stuff and of their workspaces and partially completed projects.
I can't for the life of me find it again.
Did i dream it up or have these pictures been posted somewhere?

Is this it?
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/wooaudio/5.html

Jan 18, 2013 at 1:29 PM Post #23,895 of 42,298
YES!
Thank you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back