Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Jan 21, 2013 at 8:22 PM Post #23,911 of 42,298
Quote:
So thanks to the recent group buy (my first) I joined the 596 club:

And it'd be interesting to see if anybody listening to the above combo could still refer to the LCD-3 as being too "laidback"
biggrin.gif
I certainly have to dial it down for the same sound level on my favourite tracks. As a matter of fact, apart from rock and some classical, I find it a bit too punchy for jazz or vocals. The Sylvania & Tung-Sol triangle-types are fine of course, but something interesting has happened: out of curiosity I dug out my Sophia 6SN7s which I could never really warm up too, and for some reason, for the first time, I -really- like them in this setup!

I also decided to get the spare tube purchase out of the way when I bough the adapter, and unexpectedly ended up with two very different 596s. I think the one of the group buy, in the bigger box, may be the older one? Some comparisons: 2 getters instead of one, copper bracket at the top instead of steel (?), and different markings due to the 2nd getter.

Very nice! Looks like I got one of the large box ones. I have not put it in yet as I got it as a backup for the current 596 I am using now....They do have punch!

Jan 21, 2013 at 8:41 PM Post #23,912 of 42,298
I ran them each for an evening of music enjoyment, before settling for one. I'd rather not find out that the spare I got was somehow defective when I finally need it...

Jan 21, 2013 at 9:35 PM Post #23,913 of 42,298
Love this picture! Nice setup.

TheGrumpyOldMan said:
.So thanks to the recent group buy (my first) I joined the 596 club:

And it'd be interesting to see if anybody listening to the above combo could still refer to the LCD-3 as being too "laidback" :D I certainly have to dial it down for the same sound level on my favourite tracks. As a matter of fact, apart from rock and some classical, I find it a bit too punchy for jazz or vocals. The Sylvania & Tung-Sol triangle-types are fine of course, but something interesting has happened: out of curiosity I dug out my Sophia 6SN7s which I could never really warm up too, and for some reason, for the first time, I -really- like them in this setup!

I also decided to get the spare tube purchase out of the way when I bough the adapter, and unexpectedly ended up with two very different 596s. I think the one of the group buy, in the bigger box, may be the older one? Some comparisons: 2 getters instead of one, copper bracket at the top instead of steel (?), and different markings due to the 2nd getter.

Jan 23, 2013 at 3:28 PM Post #23,921 of 42,298
Quote:
Don't tell KLM :wink:
No seriously, my RCA's are THAT big
rolleyes.gif

After turning on your WA2 on a KLM flight to warm up the cabin, they then had to de-ice the wings. That bottle and amp should warm you up this winter.

Jan 24, 2013 at 12:15 AM Post #23,922 of 42,298
This is my first post at this forum.  I first read up here maybe 8 years ago, then forgot all about it, and have started thinking about these things again lately.

Another first -- I've recently bought my first great headphones and amp, mostly from reading what you all have to say.  I picked up a T1 and WA22.  I'll have more thoughts soon, but for now, I just want to say that I am totally floored by the sound.  It's hard to get anything done as I'm basically just sitting around listening to new music and old favorites.  I am a full-time musician, have spent many hours with high-end recording gear in studios, and have a collection of vintage tube amps for guitar.  The WA22 is really an instrument in its own right, a vehicle that makes music better without changing it.  I'm so happy!  Thanks y'all.

Jan 24, 2013 at 3:24 AM Post #23,923 of 42,298
@apossibleworld..

Yep, wish I coulda stretched to some T1's.. However, very happy to have my T90/WA22 combination.. There are some members who are not huge fans of the T1/ WA22 combination.. But if your happy, don't listen to them!! It's a great combo I think.. Enjoy:)

Jan 24, 2013 at 6:45 AM Post #23,924 of 42,298
Quote:
This is my first post at this forum.  I first read up here maybe 8 years ago, then forgot all about it, and have started thinking about these things again lately.

Another first -- I've recently bought my first great headphones and amp, mostly from reading what you all have to say.  I picked up a T1 and WA22.  I'll have more thoughts soon, but for now, I just want to say that I am totally floored by the sound.  It's hard to get anything done as I'm basically just sitting around listening to new music and old favorites.  I am a full-time musician, have spent many hours with high-end recording gear in studios, and have a collection of vintage tube amps for guitar.  The WA22 is really an instrument in its own right, a vehicle that makes music better without changing it.  I'm so happy!  Thanks y'all.

Ah yes, the T1 and WA22.  A stellar combination.  Welcome!

Jan 24, 2013 at 2:10 PM Post #23,925 of 42,298
OK fellow woosies...and "opinion poll/check".  What do you think the chances would be of someone trading a WA6SE for my WA2?
Love the way tthe 2 sounds, but am looking for the versatility of the 6 SE.  Or is this just a bad idea from the start?
tnx,
Hibuck....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back