Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Jan 11, 2013 at 12:07 AM Post #23,836 of 42,298
Quote:

the WA6-SE does have noise, but its only when no musics playing and isn't noticeable unless you turned the amp really loud, much more than needed for most headphones (like near 12 clock or higher). part of it just has to do with the WA6-SE having much more gain than the WA2  

The noise is gone now at least until 3 o'clock :)

Quote:
I know, I hate this
bigsmile_face.gif

I kind of want to get an amp specifically for the W3ks & D7ks, but my big fear is that I could drop a grand and not improve on my old Pioneer.

Congrats on the WA6SE Rawr & senson ! I've always wanted to give that one a whirl myself.

Thank you
I just can't stop listening
beyersmile.png

Jan 11, 2013 at 12:25 AM Post #23,837 of 42,298
Quote:

On my WA2 there are numbers(tube model numbers?) stamped on the chassis near the tube sockets.. but it seems like they don't match to any of those numbers mentioned above...How do we know which recommended tubes go to which socket for my WA2

It will be great if someone can guide me on what goes where..

1) 6080 socket--> Recommended tubes?
2) 6922 socket--> Recommended tubes?
3) EZ80 socket--> Recommended tubes?

I apologise if this is very basic.Im a complete noob for rolling tubes... 
tongue_smile.gif

I tried the search function.. have some results.. but I just wanted to make sure I dont get the wrong tubes or plug something in thats not suppose to be there.

the woo audio website FAQ theres a tube compatibility chart that gives you some options

http://www.wooaudio.com/faq/#23

for the 6080 , the tung sol 5998 or sylvania 7236 are good tubes as well as the RCA 6AS7. these are all power tubes
for the other tubes, theres plenty of options. the 6922's are driver tubes and the EZ80s are the rectifier tubes.

you should look at this thread , gives you good options.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/574969/good-tube-combinations-for-the-woo-audio-2

also a good thread, lots of talk here on various tubes including the GEC 6AS7G and a few others
http://www.head-fi.org/t/393811/woo-wa2-tube-rolling-recommendations/30

and finally, the original WA2 thread which if you go thru the posts there, should provide some good info as well
http://www.head-fi.org/t/402215/the-woo-audio-2

Jan 11, 2013 at 3:13 AM Post #23,838 of 42,298
I'm always pretty amazed to see people buying tube amps without knowing anything about tubes or before having done any research whatsoever on tubes (how they're made, how it works, equivalents, do's and dont's, etc)

Maybe that's just me :D

Jan 11, 2013 at 4:02 AM Post #23,842 of 42,298
Quote:
I'm always pretty amazed to see people buying tube amps without knowing anything about tubes or before having done any research whatsoever on tubes (how they're made, how it works, equivalents, do's and dont's, etc)

I embarked on this same adventure...
smiley_thumb.gif
 what a ride! And enjoyed it!

Jan 11, 2013 at 4:06 AM Post #23,843 of 42,298
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
All this being done in the hopes that I can swoop up a 6SE to use with my LCD2's.
The WA2 doesn't get the job done well enough, and is bested by my vintage receivers.

It is very hard to beat them, especially if you pair HD800 with a Marantz.

I know, I hate this
bigsmile_face.gif

I kind of want to get an amp specifically for the W3ks & D7ks, but my big fear is that I could drop a grand and not improve on my old Pioneer.

Congrats on the WA6SE Rawr & senson ! I've always wanted to give that one a whirl myself.

I know what you're saying about the old Pioneer. My vintage Pioneer sounds great. Wait 'til it gets
evil_smiley.gif
re-capped! My Woo sounded really good but then, ask me how much the vintage iron cost to bring home? 
wink.gif

Which Pioneer model do you have?

Jan 11, 2013 at 4:23 AM Post #23,844 of 42,298
Quote:
Quote:

the WA6-SE does have noise, but its only when no musics playing and isn't noticeable unless you turned the amp really loud, much more than needed for most headphones (like near 12 clock or higher). part of it just has to do with the WA6-SE having much more gain than the WA2  

The noise is gone now at least until 3 o'clock :)

Quote:
I know, I hate this
bigsmile_face.gif

Thank you
I just can't stop listening
beyersmile.png

FYI - While everyone has a differently reality, the WooAudio WA 6 Special Edition does not inherently have noise. I'm a witness. For a solid year - up to 15 months, if I recall - my Woo was silent. How silent? Dead silent - with Volume control know turned ALL the way up (max) with no music playing. The kind of background many audiophiles long to achieve. I eventually got noise, though. A hiss-hum-static combo kind of thing that revealed itself near 12 o'clock with no music playing. But, I only enjoyed music between 8-8:30. And 9-9:30 when I was feelin' it! 
ksc75smile.gif

This event (noise) only became present when I re-arranged the listening room. The amp in the new spot was just horrible. And despite putting everything back in its exact place, half of the noise remained. Still, never a problem at higher than normal listening levels, which means I would not have heard it even when cranked at 10 or 11 o'clock. Then reduced the noise further by moving the router and removing some metal furniture out of the listening room.

Jan 11, 2013 at 5:19 AM Post #23,845 of 42,298

Ya.. All these people, wonder what they were thinking ..:rolleyes:

Hey!! Are you talking about me?!! ... Lol :xf_eek:

Btw, thanks Dubstep Girl for the great links... Cheers

Jan 11, 2013 at 5:41 AM Post #23,848 of 42,298
Quote:

On my WA2 there are numbers(tube model numbers?) stamped on the chassis near the tube sockets

I apologise if this is very basic.Im a complete noob for rolling tubes... 
tongue_smile.gif

I tried the search function.. have some results.. but I just wanted to make sure I dont get the wrong tubes or plug something in thats not suppose to be there.

This is a very good place to start. From Woo audio....https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=0Ama6VqAKDF7adFlpSFh2ZDVMdnBfS2VpSUxfcEVpTnc&hl=en&output=html

Jan 11, 2013 at 6:09 AM Post #23,850 of 42,298
I know what you're saying about the old Pioneer. My vintage Pioneer sounds great. Wait 'til it gets:evil: re-capped! My Woo sounded really good but then, ask me how much the vintage iron cost to bring home? :wink:

Which Pioneer model do you have?

980. Love it. It provides a wonderful counterpoint to the woo2.

One thing about tube amps (well at least mine) is they seem incredibly sensitive to ambient interference and ground loop noise. I had my wireless router sitting too close to mine and got much noise until I moved the router a couple of metres away. Also had noise from the outlets in my previous house.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back