Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Jan 10, 2013 at 8:07 PM Post #23,821 of 42,298
pulled the trigger on a WA6SE today.  Shipping shows it arriving Saturday. 
It looks like i might have the weekend with both my WA2 and 6SE.

Jan 10, 2013 at 8:14 PM Post #23,822 of 42,298
Quote:
Sorry Im a tube newbie..having just bought the WA2 myself... The 6FD7 are the power tubes? What kind of tubes are the Sophia's... ?

I'll be considering tube rolling soon... given how good I think the stock setup is.. I wonder if the difference will be huge if the stock tubes are changed out..

You need different tubes since you have WA2. WA2 and WA6SE use different Tubes.
but I would suggest enjoy the tube it comes with in the beginning before you start spending hundreds of dollars. Tube rolling could be very expensive
very_evil_smiley.gif

What I remember though I liked TS 5998, 7236 and GEC 6AS7G as power tubes when I had WA2.

Jan 10, 2013 at 8:22 PM Post #23,823 of 42,298
yeah WA2 uses different tubes.
To me the Power tubes, which senson pretty well covered, always made the biggest difference in sound.

btw
i might know somebody who might possibly be selling a couple pairs of tubes that might happen to be TS 5998s
although 1 pair might already be spoken for
wink_face.gif

Jan 10, 2013 at 9:57 PM Post #23,824 of 42,298
I haven't been able to sleep.  I haven't been able to eat.
The writing is on the wall.
I must part ways with my WA2.
I get the shakes just thinking about it.

I've got some spare tubes that I'll have to move as well.

All this being done in the hopes that I can swoop up a 6SE to use with my LCD2's.
The WA2 doesn't get the job done well enough, and is bested by my vintage receivers.

Everybody keeps telling me im going to regret it.
and i think they are right as right can be.
But I'll never be able to jump on a WA6SE when one pops up if I don't liquidate the 2.

So
this is goodbye
:frowning2:

It is very hard to beat them, especially if you pair HD800 with a Marantz.

Jan 10, 2013 at 9:58 PM Post #23,825 of 42,298
My WA6SE and LCD2 just got here along with 6FD7 and Sophia :veryevil:

Currently WA6SE has noticable back ground noise after 10 o'clock of volume control with all tubes. I hope it is part of burn in process...
Well so far here's another happy Woo Listener:o2smile:

Congrats, the WA6SE is the best bang for the bucks. The hiss should be gone once the tubes are burn in.

Jan 10, 2013 at 10:19 PM Post #23,829 of 42,298
My WA22 arrived today.  Wow, this thing is HUGE-it makes a statement just sitting silent!  My transport and DAC are at Woo for repair, so I am "making do" with my Oppo as a source/preamp.  Lot's of burn-in time to come, but the WA22 in balanced mode is very nice even at this early stage.  More pronounced low end with my HD800's.  Listening to Steve Earle's "I Feel Alright" CD is amazing.  There seems to be much more presence and impact to the music.  It seems to be not quite as warm as my WA6-SE...I am running Woo's suggested tube upgrades.  I have not tried the stock tubes yet...

Another great product from Woo....Jack and company are really fantastic artisans....

Jan 10, 2013 at 10:49 PM Post #23,831 of 42,298
Quote:
WA22 and HD800 are heavenly match. If you get a chance, get the GEC 6AS7G, TS 6SN7 BGRP, and Mullard GZ34 metal base. It is my preferred tube combo.

Oh thanks.....several more hundred dollar bills on this hobby  :)

Thanks for the advice.  Those Mullard GZ34's are like trying to find the holy grail !

thanks

Jeff

Jan 10, 2013 at 10:58 PM Post #23,832 of 42,298
My WA6SE and LCD2 just got here along with 6FD7 and Sophia 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Currently WA6SE has noticable back ground noise after 10 o'clock of volume control with all tubes. I hope it is part of burn in process...
Well so far here's another happy Woo Listener
o2smile.gif

the WA6-SE does have noise, but its only when no musics playing and isn't noticeable unless you turned the amp really loud, much more than needed for most headphones (like near 12 clock or higher). part of it just has to do with the WA6-SE having much more gain than the WA2  

Quote:
pulled the trigger on a WA6SE today.  Shipping shows it arriving Saturday. 
It looks like i might have the weekend with both my WA2 and 6SE.

awesome! 

are you getting any tube upgrades with the WA6-SE?

Jan 10, 2013 at 11:06 PM Post #23,833 of 42,298
All this being done in the hopes that I can swoop up a 6SE to use with my LCD2's.
The WA2 doesn't get the job done well enough, and is bested by my vintage receivers.

I know, I hate this :bigsmile_face: .

I kind of want to get an amp specifically for the W3ks & D7ks, but my big fear is that I could drop a grand and not improve on my old Pioneer.

Congrats on the WA6SE Rawr & senson ! I've always wanted to give that one a whirl myself.

Jan 10, 2013 at 11:51 PM Post #23,834 of 42,298
Quote:

I'll let you guys in both threads(this one and the vintage) know how the 2 compare with the LCD2's
Can't wait to test it out.

Jan 11, 2013 at 12:03 AM Post #23,835 of 42,298
Wow.. these are confusing.. when buying replacement tubes.. is there a guide to which of these go into which socket..

On my WA2 there are numbers(tube model numbers?) stamped on the chassis near the tube sockets.. but it seems like they don't match to any of those numbers mentioned above...How do we know which recommended tubes go to which socket for my WA2

It will be great if someone can guide me on what goes where..

1) 6080 socket--> Recommended tubes?
2) 6922 socket--> Recommended tubes?
3) EZ80 socket--> Recommended tubes?

I apologise if this is very basic.Im a complete noob for rolling tubes... 
tongue_smile.gif

I tried the search function.. have some results.. but I just wanted to make sure I dont get the wrong tubes or plug something in thats not suppose to be there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back