Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Sep 5, 2012 at 10:01 AM Post #22,936 of 42,298
Quote:
Quote:

If my amp was in need of repair, I would be getting it fixed.  I would worry about shipping costs at a later date.  

Its not the money...
I don't trust Woo Audio..

After a week or two of feeling like no one could understand my emails I filed a Paypal claim to get some attention..
A refund was grated in one day I guess because I am a platinum member or some such thing at Paypal (buy a lot of stuff using PP) 

I thought we where going to work things out, thats when he said he will send the call ticket.
A week or two later I was still trying to work things out..
I let the PayPal case expired and now I have no recourse if something happens because I was ready to return a week or two ago but I could reopen case and I'm stuck with it.
I feel like it was a con job..

I'll fix the jack myself, if I can't I'll order the $7.00 jack and replace it myself.. 

Doc, I feel your frustration, believe me.  But, I think that Woo is just crazy busy and a Jack is overwhelmed with daily business management, not just correspondence.  He seems to be a well meaning and, eventually, well doing guy.  I suggest trying again.  Now that summer in NY is over, I think you might find them more responsive.

Hope it works out.

Sep 5, 2012 at 10:16 AM Post #22,937 of 42,298
I don't really trust Woo, either.  My amp developed an internal noise.  I've seen this happen before on the threads, but Woo's typical response was "if you can't hear it when the music is playing, it's of no consequence."  Well, same for me.  I disagree with Woo because the noise is consequential.  To me, that's a petty excuse to not stand behind your product.

Quote:
 Its not the money...
I don't trust Woo Audio..

Sep 5, 2012 at 10:31 AM Post #22,938 of 42,298
Aside from my recent faceplate mishap, my experience with Woo has been quite positive overall. I would venture that their recent troubles are the result of growing pains, which can be quite hard to manage. Hopefully they will be able to get through it. If not, they will stop growing.

Sep 5, 2012 at 4:27 PM Post #22,939 of 42,298
Quote:
I posted un-boxing pictures and very first impressions of my Yulong D18
*snip*
Hope the initial impressions are helpful.

I caved and ordered a Gungnir. If I'm not totally thrilled with it I will probably try that Yulong. It would be interesting to trade for awhile!

Sep 5, 2012 at 4:59 PM Post #22,940 of 42,298
I'm more curious about their statement DAC.  Them saying it is not using any off the shelf chip is interesting.

I'm calling it here first:  I would bet money they're going to call it Sleipnir. 
biggrin.gif

Sep 5, 2012 at 7:06 PM Post #22,941 of 42,298
That's funny, I was leaning on the Gungnir as well due to how amazingly well reviewed the Mjolnir is. A local friend has one and it is definitely nice. In the end, the description of the Yulong's sound characteristics were exactly what I was hoping for and the jury was already out, so I pulled the trigger. I will be watching the Gungnir impressions closely I assure you. Can't wait.

Quote:

I caved and ordered a Gungnir. If I'm not totally thrilled with it I will probably try that Yulong. It would be interesting to trade for awhile!

Sep 5, 2012 at 7:07 PM Post #22,942 of 42,298
Nice. I'm digging the early, bold prediction!
popcorn.gif

Quote:
I'm more curious about their statement DAC.  Them saying it is not using any off the shelf chip is interesting.

I'm calling it here first:  I would bet money they're going to call it Sleipnir. 
biggrin.gif

Sep 5, 2012 at 10:05 PM Post #22,943 of 42,298
Quote:
That's funny, I was leaning on the Gungnir as well due to how amazingly well reviewed the Mjolnir is. A local friend has one and it is definitely nice. In the end, the description of the Yulong's sound characteristics were exactly what I was hoping for and the jury was already out, so I pulled the trigger. I will be watching the Gungnir impressions closely I assure you. Can't wait.

I'm hoping that the Gungnir will be a big improvement over the Bifrost, as Schiit says it will have "End-Game Performance". From what I have read about the Bifrost, and about the Sabre DACs in general, I would expect that the Yulong would be more dynamic while the Gungnir will have better detail and space between instruments, although the 9018 is capable of great detail as well. While it doubles up on the AKM4399 DAC chip that the Bifrost uses for "real hardware balancing", I'm hoping that the improvements to the Gungnir's analog output stage ("considerably more advanced in Gungnir, with better open-loop bandwidth, true differential summing, and DC-coupled output, as well as 160% higher voltage rails") will take it over the top dynamically.

The statement DAC sounds very promising, and unlike the SS statement amp compared to the Mjolnir there should be a significant sonic difference with the new custom DAC chips reportedly being developed in-house. But it also sounds like that could take a while to develop/debug, and the actual component may have features that I don't need/want to pay for. Quite a few unknowns really. The Gungnir has a perfect form factor for me, and really has everything I need from a DAC these days as far as features go. Fingers crossed!

Sep 6, 2012 at 11:56 AM Post #22,944 of 42,298
Hi all,

I'm back. I've been back in the US from Holland for 2 weeks!

I thought I just tell you that meeting Ultrainferno and passing my WA2 to him in a beer tavern in the heart of Amsterdam was the highlight of my trip. Not to mention meeting his wonderful gf, Sofie. We laughed at me walking in the tavern carrying the WA2 in my backpack and repacking it in the box it originally came in on the table next to ours. Boy that amp gets heavier when dodging people to meet people.

It was really wonderful to have had the opportunity to meet a fellow Head-Fi'er face to face and even though I traveled over 5,000 miles to meet Ultrainferno, a beer or three and pleasant conversation about everything electronic and chocolate and beer can really make it seem like he lives next door to me.

Travel and amps and new friends do mix well. And you don't have to worry about impedance matching.

Happy Thursday!

Sep 6, 2012 at 2:20 PM Post #22,945 of 42,298
Welcome back to the Bay!
beerchug.gif

Can't wait for you to recharge. And possibly share a link to some pix, so that I can share in your joy!

Sep 6, 2012 at 5:29 PM Post #22,946 of 42,298
Quote:
Hi all,

I'm back. I've been back in the US from Holland for 2 weeks!

I thought I just tell you that meeting Ultrainferno and passing my WA2 to him in a beer tavern in the heart of Amsterdam was the highlight of my trip. Not to mention meeting his wonderful gf, Sofie. We laughed at me walking in the tavern carrying the WA2 in my backpack and repacking it in the box it originally came in on the table next to ours. Boy that amp gets heavier when dodging people to meet people.

It was really wonderful to have had the opportunity to meet a fellow Head-Fi'er face to face and even though I traveled over 5,000 miles to meet Ultrainferno, a beer or three and pleasant conversation about everything electronic and chocolate and beer can really make it seem like he lives next door to me.

Travel and amps and new friends do mix well. And you don't have to worry about impedance matching.

Happy Thursday!

It was fun wasn't it. And the food was so good! Was nice to meet you.
And you know what we said about next year :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back