Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Sep 9, 2012 at 8:39 AM Post #22,951 of 42,298
Hey guys, I'm looking at getting a wa6 and I noticed in the description it states it has the pseudo dual power supply. Is this now a standard part of the wa6? Also how does this amp perform with iem's?

Sep 9, 2012 at 3:46 PM Post #22,952 of 42,298
First impression, WA22. (arrived last week)

SYSTEM:  iMac (W4S USB cable) > W4SDAC2 (Blue Jean Cable Balanced XLR) > WA22 (upgraded tubes) > Sennheiser HD 700 Headphones.

Very strange and very agreeable.  I enjoy blues, rock and Jazz.  Everything sounds great, but I heard details in the music that I know I have never heard before.

As an example, on Daniel Lanois' Black Dub and Beauty of Wynona I think I can hear where he has edited layers onto the recording.

Now I did not hear this detail with my solid state amp which strikes me as odd since Solid State should be more analytical, esp. with the Senn 700s which are very accurate phones. My Solid State amp is a vintage Yamaha R9 Class A, which may not be as accurate as a newer amp?

BTW if you do not know Daniel Lanois, you should.  He recorded Niel Young's Le Noise CD, and did quite a bit of work with U2.  His own material is great.  Of course, you have to love this style of music, feedback, echo, moderate distortion.

Anyway, love the WA 22 and I hope it continues to improve over time.  

Sep 9, 2012 at 4:08 PM Post #22,953 of 42,298
Welcome to the club, NOMBEDES. Glad you're enjoying it!

Which upgraded tubes?

Sep 9, 2012 at 6:48 PM Post #22,954 of 42,298
Congratulations, and welcome to the club. I am finding that the WA22 is capable of resolving quite a bit of detail if the source is accomplishing this and passing it along to the amp. The W4S DAC2 is known for being competent here.

I'm really curious about your setup with HD700. I have a pretty similar setup to you with a Sabre 9018 DAC, WA22 with premium tubes, but with HD650 instead. Would love to know how HD700 would compare.

By the way, have you attended of the local meets we have had in the Phoenix/valley area?

SYSTEM:  iMac (W4S USB cable) > W4SDAC2 (Blue Jean Cable Balanced XLR) > WA22 (upgraded tubes) > Sennheiser HD 700 Headphones.

Very strange and very agreeable.  I enjoy blues, rock and Jazz.  Everything sounds great, but I heard details in the music that I know I have never heard before.

As an example, on Daniel Lanois' Black Dub and Beauty of Wynona I think I can hear where he has edited layers onto the recording.

Now I did not hear this detail with my solid state amp which strikes me as odd since Solid State should be more analytical, esp. with the Senn 700s which are very accurate phones. My Solid State amp is a vintage Yamaha R9 Class A, which may not be as accurate as a newer amp?

BTW if you do not know Daniel Lanois, you should.  He recorded Niel Young's Le Noise CD, and did quite a bit of work with U2.  His own material is great.  Of course, you have to love this style of music, feedback, echo, moderate distortion.

Sep 9, 2012 at 7:02 PM Post #22,955 of 42,298
Hi grokit. Any shipping confirmation on the Gungnir yet?

I think your dead on with your expectations of Gungnir. I have a hard time thinking it won't impress considering Bifrost, Mjolnir, and fully balanced hardware setup with the AKM4399. I keep hearing awesome thinks about that DAC chip. A local head-fi'er in particular bought a $2,500 (retail) Denon SACD player/DAC that uses that chip, not even in balanced mode, and he raves about it despite having tried PWD, ULN2, W4S Dac 1, Rega DAC, and a bunch of other DACs.

I have been nothing but completely enthusiastic and happy with the Yulong D18 so far. The only area where is hasn't blown me away quite as much as the rest of the package is in size of soundstage. It's very competent, has precise separation etc, but not sure I would call it a very large and airy stage if I am being critical. I probably have about 70 hours on it so it will likely improve here. Overall, it just completely stomps the Marantz SA8004, which I really respected at the price point. I think Gungnir will be a similar monster bang for the buck, although likely with a slightly different flavor.

I'm hoping that the Gungnir will be a big improvement over the Bifrost, as Schiit says it will have "End-Game Performance". From what I have read about the Bifrost, and about the Sabre DACs in general, I would expect that the Yulong would be more dynamic while the Gungnir will have better detail and space between instruments, although the 9018 is capable of great detail as well. While it doubles up on the AKM4399 DAC chip that the Bifrost uses for "real hardware balancing", I'm hoping that the improvements to the Gungnir's analog output stage ("considerably more advanced in Gungnir, with better open-loop bandwidth, true differential summing, and DC-coupled output, as well as 160% higher voltage rails") will take it over the top dynamically.

The statement DAC sounds very promising, and unlike the SS statement amp compared to the Mjolnir there should be a significant sonic difference with the new custom DAC chips reportedly being developed in-house. But it also sounds like that could take a while to develop/debug, and the actual component may have features that I don't need/want to pay for. Quite a few unknowns really. The Gungnir has a perfect form factor for me, and really has everything I need from a DAC these days as far as features go. Fingers crossed!

Sep 9, 2012 at 11:27 PM Post #22,956 of 42,298
Quote:

I love my WA6-SE, and that goes for both sound quality and build quality. I have not heard their WDS-1, but by it's appearance I'd say it looks like a cheap "high tech" radio clock manufactured in China, and completely unrelated to the rest of the Woo lineup. I think they would have been more popular if the design were more like their other products.

Shallow Hal wants a gal!

WOW, have you actually seen the DAC in person?   It has deep cut "fins" around each corner that are cut deep and thick exactly like the power supply towers on the WA6-SE.  Has a very heavy duty, industrial look to it.  The slide-to-open disk transport is the slickest opening mechanism I have seen on a transport......no tray!  numerous connectivity options and fantastic sound round out the package....I am way more than satisfied...this pair is bargain....

Now, if you are talking about the color option that adds the black accents, I do not like that look at all.  I have the all-silver color scheme that visually matches the WA6-SE perfectly.

Sep 10, 2012 at 12:31 AM Post #22,957 of 42,298
Sep 10, 2012 at 3:37 AM Post #22,958 of 42,298
Hey guys, I'm looking at getting a wa6 and I noticed in the description it states it has the pseudo dual power supply. Is this now a standard part of the wa6? Also how does this amp perform with iem's?

"The PDPS became a standard feature for a few years. In the past, we offered this modification as an upgrade."

I had this answer directly from Jack Wu last week.

For IEM I really don't know how to answer you, I only use full size headphones (Denon D7000, AKG Q701, grado SR60...), and personnaly I don't really consider using anything else with my WA6

Sep 10, 2012 at 8:43 AM Post #22,959 of 42,298
Quote:

BTW if you do not know Daniel Lanois, you should.  He recorded Niel Young's Le Noise CD, and did quite a bit of work with U2.  His own material is
great.  Of course, you have to love this style of music, feedback, echo, moderate distortion.

My favorite Lanois............

Sep 10, 2012 at 12:53 PM Post #22,960 of 42,298
Quote:
Congratulations, and welcome to the club. I am finding that the WA22 is capable of resolving quite a bit of detail if the source is accomplishing this and passing it along to the amp. The W4S DAC2 is known for being competent here.
I'm really curious about your setup with HD700. I have a pretty similar setup to you with a Sabre 9018 DAC, WA22 with premium tubes, but with HD650 instead. Would love to know how HD700 would compare.
By the way, have you attended of the local meets we have had in the Phoenix/valley area?

I am in Tucson area.  I want to go to the next meet and I have subscribed to the Phoenix meeting thread.  It just depends on my schedule.  I will bring the 700's if I can make it.  

Sep 11, 2012 at 6:23 PM Post #22,961 of 42,298
Quote:
Hi grokit. Any shipping confirmation on the Gungnir yet?

Still waiting...

Quote:
Quote:

I love my WA6-SE, and that goes for both sound quality and build quality. I have not heard their WDS-1, but by it's appearance I'd say it looks like a cheap "high tech" radio clock manufactured in China, and completely unrelated to the rest of the Woo lineup. I think they would have been more popular if the design were more like their other products.

Shallow Hal wants a gal!

WOW, have you actually seen the DAC in person?   It has deep cut "fins" around each corner that are cut deep and thick exactly like the power supply towers on the WA6-SE.  Has a very heavy duty, industrial look to it.  The slide-to-open disk transport is the slickest opening mechanism I have seen on a transport......no tray!  numerous connectivity options and fantastic sound round out the package....I am way more than satisfied...this pair is bargain....

Now, if you are talking about the color option that adds the black accents, I do not like that look at all.  I have the all-silver color scheme that visually matches the WA6-SE perfectly.

I agree, the WDS-1 looks like it has exceptional build quality; like a tank really. Also agreed that the silver version is quite nice looking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back