Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Aug 13, 2012 at 10:29 PM Post #22,637 of 42,298
Quote:

Arghh wish summer was a bit longer 
frown.gif
.. Winter here could reach up to -15c 
wink.gif
..but nvm i got lots of tubes to heat my room haha

We are just at the end of winter here in Qld Australia it was really cold this year got down to 4c deg that is cold for here.

Aug 13, 2012 at 10:44 PM Post #22,638 of 42,298
Between 4c-8c is just the right temp for winter for me..-15c makes me want to cuddle on my bed and play other things 
biggrin.gif
 rather than sitting and listening to Headphones..
tongue.gif

The heating system in my building is horrible, or its just me where i really come from (Indonesia) where 365days we have 30c+ and suddenly -15c 
frown.gif

Aug 13, 2012 at 10:47 PM Post #22,639 of 42,298
Quote:
I just love the combo of the 596 with 6DR7 Tubes, With the FM274b i like it when paired with 6FD7 for more bass and 6EW7 for normal listening sessions..haven't tried putting 6SN7 with my 6SE though..people say 596 + 6SN7 is the way to go..
biggrin.gif

When I first introduced the Tung-Sol BGRP's to the USAF-596 on a blind date, it was rough going. Neither wanted to see the other ever again, let alone getting along while I still had them together. A few weeks and a few changes later...now I can't seem
tongue_smile.gif
 to separate them!

Aug 14, 2012 at 12:48 AM Post #22,640 of 42,298
Quote:
jack says its probably deteriorating and should be ok until the sound quality gets bad.

guess i'll have to get ready to buy a spare soon. 

also any comparisons with the 596 vs the princess? i heard that the 596 doesn't have much bass 
frown.gif
 that would be bad cause the grado, lcd-2, and denons need moar bass.

596 has plenty of bass!  I have EML, 596, and a couple of others.  I put in 596 with Sylvania 7236 tonight with my LCD2rev1 and the Bass was making my head throb with NIN and Nick Warren.  Great combo.  Can't believe I waited so long.  I also tried the TungSol 5998 and they were crap with the LCD2 ... too sterile and not at all to my ears' liking.  I do like my GECs with the LCD2 (and everything else) as they are so smooth ... I haven't taken the GECs out of the WA22 for probably a year until tonight.  That said 7236 takes LCD2 to a new level.  All of these tests were with the 596.  I got a couple of those on SilentOne's suggestion and my EML has been resting on the sidelines ever since.  I do like the EML (maybe even a little more) but the 596 is so close and cool looking that I really haven't wanted to take it out.

Aug 14, 2012 at 2:41 AM Post #22,642 of 42,298
This is why i ordered another pair from Ultra so total i have 2pairs of 596's opps 1 broke though makes me wanna cry if i remember that...

nowdays mostly i use my 596 rather than my FM274b and TS5U4G...

Aug 14, 2012 at 2:53 AM Post #22,644 of 42,298
Quote:
The 596 can handle it better even though it really is the same as a 5U4GB The big thing with the WA5 is the fact that the rectifier filaments are in series running off 10 volts
These filaments are not rated for series operation. This diagram is what Woo audio sent to Jac at jacmusic and his recommendations on fixing the problem but not the fact
that the tubes are in series.

Also the 596 has a more exact filament so they handle being hooked in series in a WA5.

What a coincidence - a week ago I had email exchange with Jack about this issue with first large input cap (I had used EML 5U4G/GZ34 and now I am using stock Russian 5U4G with very nice results). I'd love to try direct heating rectifier like 5R4G or 274B becuase it warms up my WA5 much faster then GZ34 which leads to better sound (for headphones it is quite OK but for speakers it is quite obvious). But it is rate 4uF(5R4GY)/32uF(5U4G)/60uF(GZ34).

Jack's answer:
[size=11pt]You have no issue of using any of the mentioned rectifiers. Many of our customers use these tubes in the WA5 in daily basis.[/size]
[size=11pt]There was a revision of the EML 5U4G last year which makes this tubes more durable.[/size]

The thing is that I am not willing to spend money on tubes which will die within short period of time.

Is adding resistor the only way to avoid such problems?

Aug 14, 2012 at 3:03 AM Post #22,646 of 42,298
Quote:

596 in a WA2? Is that even possible?
biggrin.gif

I don't know
smily_headphones1.gif

I just want to try something different.  And, anything "mighty" must be good, right?  I rely on you guys to let me know if what I'm considering is appropriate for WA2!

This is what I have now:

Sounds pretty good (still room to improve, though) through my 650s but runs out of power via pre-outs.  Also, they are lacking in bass and punch/dynamics via pre-outs.
I have been looking for the TS5998 (that the one you suggested, Silent One?), but keep missing them when I can find them listed.

Aug 14, 2012 at 3:15 AM Post #22,647 of 42,298
Quote:
I'm glad Ahzari stopped by to lend his experience with the recs and drive tubes, which is similar to your setup. On the other side of your two listening rooms sat my experience - I ran 6SN7 series shortly after buying my Woo. All things considered (front-end; source; cable & accessories), Miss Sophia & USAF-596 pushing 6SN7 series returned a different experience. The USAF-596 brought not just better details, but better depth and better quality Bass.

I did enjoy Bass with Miss Sophia, as I listen to a lot of Jazz, Zydeco and African music. Her presentation was warm and friendly with enveloping Bass. The '596' a bit more aggressive, quicker, tighter and 
tongue_smile.gif
striving to hit me upside my big head! This can be striking when listening to percussion, where the quality of Bass plays a key role.

Happy to hear DSG will be getting a replacement. 

Yes, I forgot to mention that but totally agree, the 596 has a faster presentation than the SP. I hope to some day have the opportunity to try the 6SN7s with the 596 :) I think that would be a nice pairing but with my current main listening tubes - 6FD7s - I liked the SP the most. I think the GZ is also a great rectifier to have in the arsenal, it brings a completely different presentation that works really really well with some vocal tracks.

Aug 14, 2012 at 3:31 AM Post #22,649 of 42,298
Quote:
Quote:
I'm glad Ahzari stopped by to lend his experience with the recs and drive tubes, which is similar to your setup. On the other side of your two listening rooms sat my experience - I ran 6SN7 series shortly after buying my Woo. All things considered (front-end; source; cable & accessories), Miss Sophia & USAF-596 pushing 6SN7 series returned a different experience. The USAF-596 brought not just better details, but better depth and better quality Bass.

I did enjoy Bass with Miss Sophia, as I listen to a lot of Jazz, Zydeco and African music. Her presentation was warm and friendly with enveloping Bass. The '596' a bit more aggressive, quicker, tighter and 
tongue_smile.gif
striving to hit me upside my big head! This can be striking when listening to percussion, where the quality of Bass plays a key role.

Happy to hear DSG will be getting a replacement. 

Yes, I forgot to mention that but totally agree, the 596 has a faster presentation than the SP. I hope to some day have the opportunity to try the 6SN7s with the 596 :) I think that would be a nice pairing but with my current main listening tubes - 6FD7s - I liked the SP the most. I think the GZ is also a great rectifier to have in the arsenal, it brings a completely different presentation that works really really well with some vocal tracks.

Absolutely. Miss Sophia was at her best for me with the original RCA 6EW7's driving. When I brought the EML Glass in, I couldn't believe how much the stage shrunk. 
blink.gif
 However, I felt it offered a slightly more refined presentation than the Princess once I moved up in class (6SN7). 

Speaking of which, this week sees me moving up in class yet again, for my custom OTL amp - 13D1/25SN7/1633. I'm also trying to find money to buy Glenn's 12SN7 voltage doubler as well. I hope to find a TS-BGRP 12SN7 for about $35-$40 ea. Premium tubes are now soooo much cheaper for me. 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back