Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Apr 26, 2012 at 4:16 AM Post #20,626 of 42,298

Quote:
Hello Head-fiers. I registered ages ago, but have not done much replying. I too bought GE and Westinghouse 6GL7's, and unlike most of the replies, I love them. I had GE 6FD7s coupled with my HD-800's, and thought: You know, I'm itching to try these tubes Jack's been raving about. I was pleased with the 6FD7's, so something with similar specifications should sound roughly the same. I was wrong. Right after removing the 6FD7s and installing the 6GL7s, I was greeted with deeper bass, and a crisper treble. There definitely is more gain with these tubes, but found keeping the volume control at the same point as the the 6FD7s listenable.

Now I'll be honest. I do not prefer warmer sound characteristics, and prefer a bit of sibilance and bloom. The 6CY7s that came as the stock tube, I found bland and dull with my HD-800s. I also bought Jack's 7N7-6DE7 adapters and found the later GTA style 7N7s not that enjoyable. The older GT style T, or Box plates sacrificed some treble in lieu for a deeper soundstage. Seemingly I am contradicting myself, but somehow, I sort of liked the T-Plates. Oh well, If I ever build up the balls to save for a WA5-LE, I'll have the perfect driver tubes, with an adapter of course.

I use to listen to my father, in a band, play music live, and found that their music was a great deal more bassy and, "treble happy" than my, sadly broken, HD-580's. I used, and still own a: Denon DCM-460, Creek OBH-11, and that was about it, as far as Hi-Fi or Mid-Fi. Now I have my HD-800's, WA-6, MHDT Havana, and a Cambridge Audio Azur 640A to from which my WA-6 is fed from. Things now sound more bassy, a bit brighter, more forgiving in the midrange, and thusly more lively sounding. From hearing Head-Fi's praises of the WA5, I should be able to sit idley enough by, to save for one.

Don't take all these bad reviews for granted. I could have warped hearing, but then again so could you, and you could like what the 6GL7 has to offer :)

Nice write up.  I, too, own a WA6.  Your information regarding the 6GL7s is interesting.  Something for me to keep in mind, should I ever want to try out the 6GL7s.

Apr 26, 2012 at 11:13 AM Post #20,628 of 42,298
Ordered a WA6SE.  Waited.  Got it.  Love it.  I mean really love it.  So ordered a WA5-LE, too.  Waiting.  This is a strange life, but it's mine............

Apr 26, 2012 at 11:41 AM Post #20,630 of 42,298

Quote:
Ordered a WA6SE.  Waited.  Got it.  Love it.  I mean really love it.  So ordered a WA5-LE, too.  Waiting.  This is a strange life, but it's mine............

be sure to compare them!

Apr 26, 2012 at 12:05 PM Post #20,631 of 42,298
So many people here with WA-5s, I wonder if my turn will ever come? The Takatsuki 300B tubes are making me drool...

Perhaps not so soon, the WA22 still continues to surprise and amaze me after more than a year of use. I just rolled in the 596, Sylvania Bad Boys and GEC 6AS7 a few days back and this combination sounds fantastic. I wasn't impressed with the Bad Boys with Tung Sol 5998 or 7236, but with the GECs they really woke up. They don't have the deepest bass, most extended treble or lushest midrange, but the music flows all around me in a speaker-like manner with a very balanced sound signature. Looks like the Bad Boy is my Tube of the Month.

Apr 26, 2012 at 12:29 PM Post #20,632 of 42,298
I sure will compare the WA6SE with the WA5-LE.  My thinking is to keep the one I prefer.  It sure is nice that the pressure is off, and by that I mean that I am perfectly satisfied, in fact ecstatic, with the WA6SE and the 600/650.

I've read that some folks prefer the WA6SE to the WA5??

Apr 26, 2012 at 12:29 PM Post #20,633 of 42,298

Quote:
So many people here with WA-5s, I wonder if my turn will ever come? The Takatsuki 300B tubes are making me drool...

Perhaps not so soon, the WA22 still continues to surprise and amaze me after more than a year of use. I just rolled in the 596, Sylvania Bad Boys and GEC 6AS7 a few days back and this combination sounds fantastic. I wasn't impressed with the Bad Boys with Tung Sol 5998 or 7236, but with the GECs they really woke up. They don't have the deepest bass, most extended treble or lushest midrange, but the music flows all around me in a speaker-like manner with a very balanced sound signature. Looks like the Bad Boy is my Tube of the Month.

Nice to see the Bad Boys have a wonderful playmate with the rectifier you rolled in... the name escapes me at the moment. 
rolleyes.gif

Apr 26, 2012 at 1:15 PM Post #20,634 of 42,298

Quote:

Quote:

i heard wa6 too. 

ordered a black wa5 too. 

Lots of WA5s coming up soon. Mine should be here in 2 weeks. Exciting times.

Apr 26, 2012 at 1:57 PM Post #20,636 of 42,298
Apr 26, 2012 at 5:28 PM Post #20,638 of 42,298

Quote:
I sure will compare the WA6SE with the WA5-LE.  My thinking is to keep the one I prefer.  It sure is nice that the pressure is off, and by that I mean that I am perfectly satisfied, in fact ecstatic, with the WA6SE and the 600/650.

I've read that some folks prefer the WA6SE to the WA5??

Are you serious?
There is no way the WA6SE will compete with the WA5. I Iistened to the WA6SE, WA22 and WA5 all together inthe same room. I went in with my sights in the WA22 and end up ordering the WA5 becuase it just blew away all the others. There is a reason why it was (now the new monoblocks) the top of the line amplifier for dynamic headphones in the Woo line.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Apr 26, 2012 at 5:30 PM Post #20,639 of 42,298
even a WA5-LE with stock tubes is better than a WA6-SE with upgrades?

Apr 26, 2012 at 5:41 PM Post #20,640 of 42,298
smiley_thumb.gif
 Without question! Of course, this is my view. Haven't heard the WA5 series but have heard 300B amps, 45 amps & 2A3 amps in the past. While everyone's tastes are different, I'd say those who would prefer the 6 Special Edition over the WA5/LE would be down to the dislike of the "300B' signature in general - it's not for everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back