Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Apr 17, 2012 at 12:00 AM Post #20,416 of 42,298

Quote:
Still, this is great! Are you buying Pre-Owned from 'Complex' (Black WA5) or new from Woo? What kind of music genres were dominating the Stat Experience?
popcorn.gif

Same kind of music that dominates my orthos and dynamics. Everything from Beethoven to Dimmu Borgir, Radiohead to Rodrigo and Gabriela, Shakira to The Beatles, on and on. I listen to almost everything without prejudice, so long as it gets my toe tapping or the wheels of the mind spinning, I'll buy a disc. The Stax did nothing wrong, the GES just didn't have the guts, so what's next? WES/BHSE/LL.... 

And yup, the black 5 from Complex indeed. He has been gracious enough to let me make a deposit today and finish it on Friday. Paypal processing blah blah, I'll have it in 3 weeks, maybe a little more. So that wonderful black Woo finish and tank-like build quality will return to the top shelf of one of my racks shortly.

I mainly bailed on the 'stats because my goal was 2 high end rigs, and I had decided one to be electrostatic, but the added expenditure and highly limited availability of the 'stats amps and the inability to mix and match cans with my LF rig, just made decide to flip everything (and a good used price on a WA5 certainly spurred any lingering doubts). I may be missing out on the last few known obtainable inches of the endless downward audio nirvana spiral that Stax may deliver, but I get 2 amazing rigs this way, and with the extra coin I save I'll be able to get an LCD3 shortly. So a stable of Liquid Fire / WA5 + LCD2 / HD800 / not far off LCD3, or biting the bullet and shelling out $5k for an amp that will do the 007s justice, while meaning that certain cans only play with certain amps?

Apr 17, 2012 at 12:27 AM Post #20,417 of 42,298
Congrats on the WA5. It should be fantastic. I eagerly await impressions in a few a weeks
beerchug.gif

Quote:
Same kind of music that dominates my orthos and dynamics. Everything from Beethoven to Dimmu Borgir, Radiohead to Rodrigo and Gabriela, Shakira to The Beatles, on and on. I listen to almost everything without prejudice, so long as it gets my toe tapping or the wheels of the mind spinning, I'll buy a disc. The Stax did nothing wrong, the GES just didn't have the guts, so what's next? WES/BHSE/LL.... 

And yup, the black 5 from Complex indeed. He has been gracious enough to let me make a deposit today and finish it on Friday. Paypal processing blah blah, I'll have it in 3 weeks, maybe a little more. So that wonderful black Woo finish and tank-like build quality will return to the top shelf of one of my racks shortly.

I mainly bailed on the 'stats because my goal was 2 high end rigs, and I had decided one to be electrostatic, but the added expenditure and highly limited availability of the 'stats amps and the inability to mix and match cans with my LF rig, just made decide to flip everything (and a good used price on a WA5 certainly spurred any lingering doubts). I may be missing out on the last few known obtainable inches of the endless downward audio nirvana spiral that Stax may deliver, but I get 2 amazing rigs this way, and with the extra coin I save I'll be able to get an LCD3 shortly. So a stable of Liquid Fire / WA5 + LCD2 / HD800 / not far off LCD3, or biting the bullet and shelling out $5k for an amp that will do the 007s justice, while meaning that certain cans only play with certain amps?

Apr 17, 2012 at 12:27 AM Post #20,418 of 42,298

Quote:
I love the sound of this combination in my WA5-LE. EML 300B Mesh with TS BGRP 6F8G and the 596 rectifiers. I probably prefer any of the 6F8G over my 6SN7 (including the TS BGRP) with the 596. The only ones that I probably like better are my Mullard ECC32.

I have the EML 5U4G, Mullard GZ37, Brimar 5R4GY, Fivre, tungsol and RCA 5U4G but I prefer the 596 over all.

And photos like this will have me restless for the next few weeks. Beautiful stuff man. I will be hounding you and the other WA5/LE owners for tube recommendations before long.

Apr 17, 2012 at 12:33 AM Post #20,419 of 42,298
Does anyone have any tips on where I should go to start reading up on the tube dampers. I haven't read anything about them at all, but it seems to makes sense that they would be worthwhile. I'd be interested in which ones I should look at for my WA22 tubes.

Apr 17, 2012 at 12:36 AM Post #20,420 of 42,298
Holy ****! Oh my god! What! Looks like the ultimate dream entertainment system.

Quote:
Zoom out a little more to show the big guns from the front wall. Swans F2.2+ mains, C2.3+ center, 2 x Emotiva XPA monoblocks, 1 Emotiva XPA 5CH, Marantz AV7005 processor, Oppo BDP93 (still lots more not pictured here).

Everything is pretty fresh out of the box, even the DAC and headphones have less than 100 hours of play. So now I have to "sacrifice" some of my free time to give them the hours needed to really shine.

Apr 17, 2012 at 12:49 AM Post #20,422 of 42,298

Quote:

After reading and learning of your reasoning, I'm with you! And can only conclude you are a sound man (pun intended).

Apr 17, 2012 at 12:52 AM Post #20,423 of 42,298
WA6 output impedance-

It's slowly to starting to come back to me now. I'm almost certain fellow member danska was at the center of it all. Because I recall he asked here in these pages after picking up a pre-owned '6.' Where is danska, anyway? 
popcorn.gif

Apr 17, 2012 at 3:28 AM Post #20,424 of 42,298

Quote:
Does anyone have any tips on where I should go to start reading up on the tube dampers. I haven't read anything about them at all, but it seems to makes sense that they would be worthwhile. I'd be interested in which ones I should look at for my WA22 tubes.

Think I recalled Herbie's Audio Lab being mentioned, in regards to tube dampers.

Apr 17, 2012 at 4:55 AM Post #20,425 of 42,298

Quote:
Think I recalled Herbie's Audio Lab being mentioned, in regards to tube dampers.

yea the have a line of excellent dampers with a nice 90 trial/return policy. good place to start.

Apr 17, 2012 at 8:12 AM Post #20,430 of 42,298

Quote:
That sounds like a plan!

What honey? who put that **@!!??** car there? Come on, grab some popcorn and let's make it a drive-in evening together, under the suspended tile ceiling...

Very very nice indeed. And if you must know, I am your fellow CCA Member - Los Angeles Chapter (late to renew... but I will in May 
rolleyes.gif
 ). 
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back