Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Apr 8, 2012 at 9:56 PM Post #20,192 of 42,298

Quote:
And what was this plan B that you so speak of?

Shut out of WA22dom, I elected to buy a custom built 2359glenn-spec OTL amp, with tube compliments 3DG4 rectifier; Tung-Sol 5998 power tubes; Tung-Sol BGRP VT-231 drive tube. In-progress, new Maple platforms and 3"x3" brass footers @ 5lbs each for the amp. And get the "X" mod for the amp to allow the 5998's to run at a higher plate current with a switch. 
popcorn.gif

Apr 8, 2012 at 10:03 PM Post #20,193 of 42,298
I was looking at some JJs as they seem be their own entity. I wouldn't be suprised if they did OEM work on the side to boost the bottom line.

The New Sensor corporation seems to own all the old NOS names. People have varying opinions on these, so it seem reasonable to conclude they're not all the same. But QC ought to be if they're coming from the same place. Right?

How much 'mileage' to you rack up? I use my amp like I use my PC. Still early days for me before I can determine how frequently I'll be changing valves. Running them in to the dirt not withstanding.
Quote:
Takatsuki
Shugaung
Psvane
EML
Sovtek
JJ

Positive experiences of tubes from all of these brands, QC at JJ isn't what it once was but I thoroughly enjoyed the 300b in my Woo as well as the ECC803S Telefunken clone and EC99 in my Mapletree EAR.

Not so positive was my dicky Sophia, however a years use wasn't terrible, just not great.

Bear in mind I own a very small sample of tubes from these manufacturers, its just my "mileage"

Apr 9, 2012 at 12:43 AM Post #20,194 of 42,298
Looking through Ebay, it's nice to see several pages of 6SN7 pairs, with really only a small handfull of the "special" ones at extreme prices.  There are even a few new production versions available like an upgraded version of the treasures.  This is in contrast to the NOS only, dwindling supply of nice 6DE7 variants.

I guess I need to find out if Glenn still sells 6SN7 adapters that will fit the small holes in my early WA6.  I think I will pick up a pair of RCA/Sylvania/GE/Tung Sol that seem to range from $30 to 60 per pair.

Apr 9, 2012 at 1:37 AM Post #20,196 of 42,298

Quote:
Looking through Ebay, it's nice to see several pages of 6SN7 pairs, with really only a small handfull of the "special" ones at extreme prices.  There are even a few new production versions available like an upgraded version of the treasures.  This is in contrast to the NOS only, dwindling supply of nice 6DE7 variants.

I guess I need to find out if Glenn still sells 6SN7 adapters that will fit the small holes in my early WA6.  I think I will pick up a pair of RCA/Sylvania/GE/Tung Sol that seem to range from $30 to 60 per pair.

May I suggest you post a "WTB" Ad in the For Sale/Trade section here on HF? This will advance your effort, just in case.

Apr 9, 2012 at 8:21 AM Post #20,198 of 42,298
i would totally buy that WA22 but i would have to sell my WA6-SE and my WA2...

Apr 9, 2012 at 8:30 AM Post #20,200 of 42,298
i know but selling them is a pain, and i would have to make sure i get  it for that 1600 price, cause if he sells first, i wont have the cash to buy a new wa22 from jack. 

plus i'll lose money becasue i'll have to sell the amps less. and theres alot of lowballers on head-fi i would have to deal with.

Apr 9, 2012 at 9:29 AM Post #20,201 of 42,298

Quote:
i know but selling them is a pain, and i would have to make sure i get  it for that 1600 price, cause if he sells first, i wont have the cash to buy a new wa22 from jack. 

plus i'll lose money becasue i'll have to sell the amps less. and theres alot of lowballers on head-fi i would have to deal with.

I understand what you mean, I had to deal with this until I'm here now with WA22.  PM the seller if you can work out a deal with him/her to see if it can be hold until you sell your WA2 and WA6SE. 

Apr 9, 2012 at 10:09 AM Post #20,202 of 42,298

Quote:
i would totally buy that WA22 but i would have to sell my WA6-SE and my WA2...

If nuthin' else, it's the right color 
wink_face.gif
, and you too, could have avatars like this one:

200x200px-ZC-566a5114_PAS_4101a.jpeg

Hope you PM the seller and find that they're flexible... like Gumby.

Apr 9, 2012 at 12:27 PM Post #20,205 of 42,298
that looks so cool wow lol. u guys are terrible, so tempting!!

umm i have several questions i wanted to make sure of if i do get a WA22

1. if i have single-ended headphones but a balanced source for my WA22, will i see improvements over what i have and will it be similar to having balanced headphones

2. i know i can keep my sophia 274b and syl 7236, but what about the 6sn7 tubes it has?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back