Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Apr 6, 2012 at 11:20 PM Post #20,161 of 42,298

Quote:
Tonight I'm digging in for a long listening session with my 2 per amping my pioneer sx 950 playing my ads speakers. Got half a bottle of Dalwhinnie, some smoke and endless great music. 3 songs in and im enjoying it thoroughly. Just hope the neighbors are enjoying it as well
smily_headphones1.gif

For me, this post has more questions than answers. 
blink.gif
 But, you're still my fellow head-fier and Woo mate, so... cheers! 
biggrin.gif

Quote:
You gonna send a set list?

(Silent One quietly joins Csericks waiting for a playlist to emerge...)
popcorn.gif

Apr 6, 2012 at 11:37 PM Post #20,163 of 42,298
Haha! we can thank scotch and auto correct for that.
Yeah pre amping
I actually corrected amping from something else it put there but missed the per.

So far the set list has been dire straits self titled, clutchs blast tyrant, my morning jackets it still moves and some Bonnie prince billy

It's nice how the detail of the woo bleeds through into the pioneer. The 950 on its own doesn't pull is much out of the music. And a small portion of the mids from say 1500 to 2000 kHz is the weak spot of the ads so it helps there a bit too

Apr 6, 2012 at 11:53 PM Post #20,164 of 42,298

Quote:
I think maybe the first half of the Dalwhinnie might be responsible for that.

Thanks, Pudu. You're a fine connoisseur of music and drink in your own right. Though, I had not heard of Dalwhinnie before, it's what came after that raised my eyebrow...
dt880smile.png

Apr 6, 2012 at 11:54 PM Post #20,165 of 42,298
Does anyone know if new amp shipments from Woo require signature in order to be dropped off? My shipment is going through Fedex and I don't see anywhere whether it will get dropped off or whether I'll be stuck for a week trying to get to Fedex after hours.

Apr 6, 2012 at 11:57 PM Post #20,166 of 42,298

Quote:
Haha! we can thank scotch and auto correct for that.
Yeah pre amping
I actually corrected amping from something else it put there but missed the per.
So far the set list has been dire straits self titled, clutchs blast tyrant, my morning jackets it still moves and some Bonnie prince billy
It's nice how the detail of the woo bleeds through into the pioneer. The 950 on its own doesn't pull is much out of the music. And a small portion of the mids from say 1500 to 2000 kHz is the weak spot of the ads so it helps there a bit too

I'm still waiting to hear my OTL used as a "Pre" to my SX-650. My 1/4" Mono Wireworld Equinox Interconnects need RCA adapters. I tried cheap RCA cables that come with most consumer AV products and it was t-e-r-r-i-b-l-e... definitely the cable!

Apr 7, 2012 at 12:18 AM Post #20,167 of 42,298
My 650 sounds ok with the woo as a pre. But it doesn't have the main ins in the back like the 950. And the main in actually somehow lowers noise and just sounds a little more "right" than plugging it into the aux or tape inputs.

But I do think I liked the headphone jack maybe slightly better on the 650; unfortunately it's on loan to a friend so I can't a/b them. My theory is its the output impedance on the 950 probably being really high due to it having to be resisted a lot more than on the 30 watts of the 650.

I've moved onto Neil Young live at massey hall

Apr 7, 2012 at 12:19 AM Post #20,168 of 42,298

Quote:
Does anyone know if new amp shipments from Woo require signature in order to be dropped off? My shipment is going through Fedex and I don't see anywhere whether it will get dropped off or whether I'll be stuck for a week trying to get to Fedex after hours.

Here's what I would do and here's why! I'd call FedEx Customer Service and status the package - you'll find the answer in a couple of minutes. If WooAudio has not specified "Signature Requested," you may do so with the representative over the phone if that's your wish.

Sounds like you just wanted dropped, yes? I requested USPS & "Signature Required" for my Woo and Jack obliged. After it finally shipped week 8, I received email notification for FedEx, "Signature Required," so I rolled with it and tracked it. On delivery day, I kept checking, waiting and listening for the truck to come by... and ring the door bell. 

Finally, after hearing the truck make a stop down the street, I got excited. But the delivery truck was out of view some three homes away. So, I waited. And waited. No one came to the door or so I thought. And the driver drove off. Jumped on my computer and nothin'! Like an expected father, I paced. Maybe the driver will come back through.

Once I heard the driver leave the general neighborhood, I called. It was a busy Friday but eventually got hold of a rep some 12 minutes later. The rep confirmed the package was left on the doorstep - the website for tracking was behind and didn't show the update. The driver FAILED to ring or knock for a signature. Further, it appears he passed the house, parked and walked the package over and simply left it on the doorstep. I called back to complain and discovered it was a substitute driver - my guy had the day off!

Had someone left with my Woo without me knowing it was out there, I would have called Jack up with no shame at all... "Wassup, baby?! Your amp is missin'!!!"

Apr 7, 2012 at 12:34 AM Post #20,169 of 42,298
Thanks Silent One. Yeah, I am hoping it doesn't require a signature, because it becomes a real pain to ever get where I can stop by and pick it up. I have a pretty long commute and classes at night. I get packages all the time and around where I live, they are always discreetly left and always there. I never had any issues. I'll probably give FedEx a call. This one is probably worth it. :)

Quote:
Here's what I would do and here's why! I'd call FedEx Customer Service and status the package - you'll find the answer in a couple of minutes. If WooAudio has not specified "Signature Requested," you may do so with the representative over the phone if that's your wish.

Sounds like you just wanted dropped, yes? I requested USPS & "Signature Required" for my Woo and Jack obliged. After it finally shipped week 8, I received email notification for FedEx, "Signature Required," so I rolled with it and tracked it. On delivery day, I kept checking, waiting and listening for the truck to come by... and ring the door bell. 

Finally, after hearing the truck make a stop down the street, I got excited. But the delivery truck was out of view some three homes away. So, I waited. And waited. No one came to the door or so I thought. And the driver drove off. Jumped on my computer and nothin'! Like an expected father, I paced. Maybe the driver will come back through.

Once I heard the driver leave the general neighborhood, I called. It was a busy Friday but eventually got hold of a rep some 12 minutes later. The rep confirmed the package was left on the doorstep - the website for tracking was behind and didn't show the update. The driver FAILED to ring or knock for a signature. Further, it appears he passed the house, parked and walked the package over and simply left it on the doorstep. I called back to complain and discovered it was a substitute driver - my guy had the day off!

Had someone left with my Woo without me knowing it was out there, I would have called Jack up with no shame at all... "Wassup, baby?! Your amp is missin'!!!"

Apr 7, 2012 at 1:27 AM Post #20,170 of 42,298

Quote:
Thanks Silent One. Yeah, I am hoping it doesn't require a signature, because it becomes a real pain to ever get where I can stop by and pick it up. I have a pretty long commute and classes at night. I get packages all the time and around where I live, they are always discreetly left and always there. I never had any issues. I'll probably give FedEx a call. This one is probably worth it. :)

You're welcome. I remember Delivery Day like it was yesterday. I was extremely excited - my very first vacuum tube amplifier - delivered on a beautiful Friday afternoon. Knowing dinner would soon be close and I was too preoccupied to cook, I ordered a Large Shrimp Pizza for delivery, so I wouldn't have to be interrupted cooking on Saturday either! 
biggrin.gif
 It was ALL WOO ALL weekend!!!

Apr 7, 2012 at 3:05 AM Post #20,171 of 42,298
Hey Woo fans, are there any WA6/SE owners, current/previous that have 6SN7 adapters they are looking to sell?? I would be interested (PM please).

Apr 8, 2012 at 5:55 AM Post #20,172 of 42,298

Quote:

Broadly speaking, do you guys have any brands of new tube you've had positive experience with (not necessarily rock your world stuff, but not bad)

Quote:

Takatsuki
Shugaung
Psvane
EML
Sovtek
JJ

Positive experiences of tubes from all of these brands, QC at JJ isn't what it once was but I thoroughly enjoyed the 300b in my Woo as well as the ECC803S Telefunken clone and EC99 in my Mapletree EAR.

Not so positive was my dicky Sophia, however a years use wasn't terrible, just not great.

Bear in mind I own a very small sample of tubes from these manufacturers, its just my "mileage"

Apr 8, 2012 at 2:50 PM Post #20,173 of 42,298
EH 6SN7 with gold pins is also excellent.  There is an old post on head-fi about different 6SN7 commented the EH 6SN7 is as good as the sylvania 6SN7.  That mirrors with my impression.  I also think Shuguang CV181 is another excellent 6SN7 in production.  For a price of 120 a pair is OK.  It does not worth the over $200 asking price.   

Apr 8, 2012 at 4:00 PM Post #20,175 of 42,298

It is my hope, that with the interests in dedicated tube amps growing and sales to follow, that tube manufacturers raise the level of their game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back