Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Apr 9, 2012 at 12:43 PM Post #20,206 of 42,298

Quote:
that looks so cool wow lol. u guys are terrible, so tempting!!

umm i have several questions i wanted to make sure of if i do get a WA22

1. if i have single-ended headphones but a balanced source for my WA22, will i see improvements over what i have and will it be similar to having balanced headphones

2. i know i can keep my sophia 274b and syl 7236, but what about the 6sn7 tubes it has?

Yes, the biggest improvement on WA22 is balanced source.  I think there is no difference on SE or balanced headphone because the way Jack wired the output.  I do not notice any difference on my HD800 when I use balanced cable and balanced>SE adapter.

You can use 6SN7 or 6F8G with an adapter, there are much more choice on tube rolling but it can be very expensive on 6SN7.

Grokit, have a pair of the bad boys for sale.

Sylvania 6SN7 GT "Bad Boy" driver tubes, $120/pair

Apr 9, 2012 at 2:49 PM Post #20,207 of 42,298

Quote:
that looks so cool wow lol. u guys are terrible, so tempting!!

umm i have several questions i wanted to make sure of if i do get a WA22

1. if i have single-ended headphones but a balanced source for my WA22, will i see improvements over what i have and will it be similar to having balanced headphones

2. i know i can keep my sophia 274b and syl 7236, but what about the 6sn7 tubes it has?

I think MacedonianHero had the WA6/WA2 and liked the WA22 better.  Might see what he has to say.  

I use the WA22 single ended.  I don't feel I'm missing anything.  I'm not sure of the maths involved, but I read the WA22 is balanced even when using single-ended headphones if you use a balanced source.

You absolutely need a balanced source.  Jack says his other amps sound better single-ended.

Apr 9, 2012 at 4:49 PM Post #20,208 of 42,298

Quote:
I'm looking for some advice on rectifiers for my WA6 (maxxed) too.  Is it worth it to spend money on more NOS rectifiers to try, or should I just get an EML 5U4G instead?  I have a Tung Sol 5U4G that I like better than my Sopia right now, and I'm curious about GZ37s, 34s, 5R4GY's etc.  But I would actually spend more money on nice specimines of these than just grabbing the expensive EML. 

So what do you guys with lots of tube rolling experince say?  Is the EML the best way to go?

I listen to Grado RS1i's right now, mainly rock, classic to metal.

Well,
There are threads about that very subject, if you look them up.  As a classic rock listener, I can tell you most drivers, 6sn7 and otherwise, sound great with the Sophia Princess.  If you really move up to say, the Mullard CV181s, the GZ34 metal base is perfect.  I have these two rectifiers and I'm set for any drivers you can throw at me.  The GZ34 is more close sounding and has greater expansion and warmth in the midrange; the Princess has a more open sound that can really capture the elements in their stage space.  Both have good bass and punch.  My fave right now:  GZ34 Holland Mullard, 1957.  Great for classic rock. 

Apr 9, 2012 at 5:17 PM Post #20,209 of 42,298

Quote:
i know but selling them is a pain, and i would have to make sure i get  it for that 1600 price, cause if he sells first, i wont have the cash to buy a new wa22 from jack. 

plus i'll lose money becasue i'll have to sell the amps less. and theres alot of lowballers on head-fi i would have to deal with.

We know what you mean. Alternatively, be sure to list on Audiogon as well.

Apr 9, 2012 at 5:18 PM Post #20,210 of 42,298

Quote:
Hmm, how about this?

Free Wallpaper!
popcorn.gif

Apr 9, 2012 at 5:59 PM Post #20,211 of 42,298

Quote:

Yes, the biggest improvement on WA22 is balanced source.  I think there is no difference on SE or balanced headphone because the way Jack wired the output.  I do not notice any difference on my HD800 when I use balanced cable and balanced>SE adapter.

You can use 6SN7 or 6F8G with an adapter, there are much more choice on tube rolling but it can be very expensive on 6SN7.

Grokit, have a pair of the bad boys for sale.

Sylvania 6SN7 GT "Bad Boy" driver tubes, $120/pair

I'd like to add to this well qualified post 
biggrin.gif
, that I agree the balanced source is key. It is my understanding that once the amp receives the additional voltage with cross mode rejection, the amp's job is done. Listening through balanced cans vs single-ended could be the same or different, but for different reasons. 

The aim is different for balancing the amp and balancing headphones - two different objectives. So, why do people get balanced cans? Not every balanced amp will have SE headphone jacks. But, rewiring headphones is a chance to use superior conductors and connectors. And this can result in lower inductive loss, lower cross-talk/isolation and lower resistance inside the cans. Offering greater detail and spaciousness. By how much? Like everything else (YMMV), that will depend on everything else in the system. Given the opportunity to receive my cans with a shared ground wire and 32awg versus a complete and separate cup-to-adapter 4x22awg option and... 
rolleyes.gif

Me? I can testify - I've heard the WA22 in both balanced and non-balanced mode when fed. With SE cans, balanced cans and then with my own balanced cans with SE adapter. For me, the Zeus balanced cabling was a very nice choice indeed. 
wink.gif
 I cannot (and would not) speak for anyone else. 

Apr 9, 2012 at 6:30 PM Post #20,212 of 42,298
hmm, thanks.

well i received a few pms about WA22 for sale.

i don't know how much i could sell each of my woo amps for.

think i could get 1000 for WA2 and 950 for WA6-SE?

stock tubes for both they're like new.

Apr 9, 2012 at 7:19 PM Post #20,213 of 42,298

Quote:
hmm, thanks.

Well brand new from Woo they sell for 1090 and 1050; the only problem I see selling at that price is a buyer may opt a few bucks more for a new unit so they have the full year warranty (not knowing when you originally purchased your amps). Though these are well built, hopefully no one would ever need to use the warranties. Also would that price include shipping and Paypal fees? if so that may be a more attractive offer.

Apr 9, 2012 at 7:23 PM Post #20,214 of 42,298
All this talk about the WA22 now I'm interested.. haha. Maybe down the road once the upgraditis starts back up 
biggrin.gif

Apr 9, 2012 at 7:39 PM Post #20,217 of 42,298

Quote:
hmm, thanks.

I know you've been a positive influence on your roomy. 
wink_face.gif
 That could lead to the direct or indirect sale of one your fine hand crafted examples...  

Apr 9, 2012 at 8:19 PM Post #20,218 of 42,298

Quote:

I think MacedonianHero had the WA6/WA2 and liked the WA22 better.  Might see what he has to say.  

I use the WA22 single ended.  I don't feel I'm missing anything.  I'm not sure of the maths involved, but I read the WA22 is balanced even when using single-ended headphones if you use a balanced source.

You absolutely need a balanced source.  Jack says his other amps sound better single-ended.

I did own the WA2 for several months before selling it for the WA22. I am one happy camper with the WA22.
smile.gif

In case you're interested in my thoughts between the two:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/562618/woo-audio-wa2-and-wa22-comparisons-finally-finished-whew

I have never owned the WA6, but I have heard it many, many times through the past few years. For at it's price point, there is no more versatile tube amp that I could recommend. It was that good.

Back to the WA22, IME, a balanced source is key to really let the amp truly shine (as Silent One so very eloquently mentioned). But by the looks of it, Dubstep Girl has a PS Audio DLIII (with balanced outputs), so she should be good to go as far as that's concerned. It could sound very good with a single ended source, no doubt, but it does kick it up a notch with a balanced source.

Apr 9, 2012 at 10:17 PM Post #20,220 of 42,298

Quote:
^ Very nice! BTW, I have some tubes for sale.

Must have been dinner - suddenly, I feel renewed... and interested in getting some Glass. Got any 6F8G TS-BGRP's lurking around? I've grown use to your avatar hangin' upside down... we like it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back