Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Apr 10, 2012 at 6:52 PM Post #20,236 of 42,298
That's a hard call for sure.  Having the smaller socket locks you out of the fat bottle 6EW7 and 6FD7 tubes too.  Have you considered contacting Jack Wu and seeing if you can get the aluminum top plate replaced?  The subplate beneath where the sockets are mounted is likely open and if I recall the top plate is just a small piece bolted onto the chassis so it might not cost very much to replace it with a new one that has the bigger cutouts.

Apr 10, 2012 at 7:03 PM Post #20,237 of 42,298

Quote:
That's a hard call for sure.  Having the smaller socket locks you out of the fat bottle 6EW7 and 6FD7 tubes too.  Have you considered contacting Jack Wu and seeing if you can get the aluminum top plate replaced?  The subplate beneath where the sockets are mounted is likely open and if I recall the top plate is just a small piece bolted onto the chassis so it might not cost very much to replace it with a new one that has the bigger cutouts.

I am currently using fat bottle tubes via a socket saver, and it seems to work fine.  I am however a little worried that stacking another adapter on top of them may not be optimal.

I have emailed Jack, he cannot make me adapters and he cannot modify the amp in any way.  He actually claims that "the chassis is fixed and cannot be cut open".

The top plate is fairly easy to remove, and I could easily widen the holes, but the actual chassis itself has the same size holes underneath the plate that would also need to be enlarged.  I would be up against running a tool with all the internals in place and trying to deal with metal shavings everywhere inside.

Apr 10, 2012 at 7:14 PM Post #20,238 of 42,298
Johmem, I forgot you had the good stuff inside.
rolleyes.gif
 In this case, I'd stack the tubes/space savers while I stacked the Ben Franks for the '22.'

Apr 10, 2012 at 9:02 PM Post #20,243 of 42,298
Wow... beautiful pics !

Apr 10, 2012 at 9:24 PM Post #20,244 of 42,298
omg jc i really want one now!!

looks really cool in that first pic, and premium tubes too, very nice.

Apr 10, 2012 at 9:30 PM Post #20,245 of 42,298
Apr 10, 2012 at 11:40 PM Post #20,246 of 42,298
All three of those pictures are sweeet!

Here's my first picture to add for now - a quick one from my cell phone from oh...about 10 minutes ago.

Apr 11, 2012 at 1:16 AM Post #20,248 of 42,298

Quote:
My beautiful Black one-time Woo is en route to Malaysia. Perhaps, the new owner will "shoot it!"

The new owner needs to get home from Malaysia first. I'm still wondering if I'll be able to safely transport the Gentle Beast back with me. There is certainly a will, and thusly, a way. I just don't wanna be detained and stripped searched because some TSA agent thinks the Woo is a trigger mechanism for a nuclear bomb.

I will take pictures when I first get home. Probably too many pictures. I was a film/photo major, and I am in love with the WA6SE. Dangerous combo. I'll be home May 16th - 27th and will set up and get some snappies then. 

Apr 11, 2012 at 1:48 AM Post #20,249 of 42,298
First look at getting setup - stuck with cell phones pics for now. It's going to be awhile before I can get any meaningful impressions. I have a brand new power cable, brand new silver interconnects, brand new stock tubes in, and the new amp all breaking in at the same time. I'm going to break it in with stock tubes since the better old stock tubes I bought are used and already broken in. Plus once its fully broken in and I'm used to the sound, I'll be much better able to gauge any difference from the tubes.

The quality of the packaging and the amp blew my mind. It came totally encased in this high quality custom fit foam interior that had perfectly shaped compartments in it for the tubes so they wouldn't move. I've never seen any packaging like it. It was like a foam bank vault, I could barely get the foam enclosure out of the box. The amp itself has a really high quality looking chassis with nice finish. It feels very heavy and substantial and tight. The tube sockets were really tight as well as I was almost worried pushing a couple of the tubes in. Very nice fit and finish.

A couple super early impressions. There was a very subtle hum in the left ear cup of my HD 650 on high gain, but it was very quiet with no discernible noise at all on low gain. I can't say that I'm wowed right away, but I get the strong impression it will be really refined once it and all of the new components settle in. It seems like ti will have a lot of authority, and that it will have much better impact and dynamics than I am used too. I'm sure the old stock sylvania chrome dome 6sn7, sylvania 7236, and mullard gz37 should make a big difference once everything settles in and I swap them in.

Not a whole to go off of just yet, but this thing screams pride of ownership.

cleardot.gif

Apr 11, 2012 at 2:15 AM Post #20,250 of 42,298

Quote:
First look at getting setup - stuck with cell phones pics for now. It's going to be awhile before I can get any meaningful impressions. I have a brand new power cable, brand new silver interconnects, brand new stock tubes in, and the new amp all breaking in at the same time. I'm going to break it in with stock tubes since the better old stock tubes I bought are used and already broken in. Plus once its fully broken in and I'm used to the sound, I'll be much better able to gauge any difference from the tubes.

The quality of the packaging and the amp blew my mind. It came totally encased in this high quality custom fit foam interior that had perfectly shaped compartments in it for the tubes so they wouldn't move. I've never seen any packaging like it. It was like a foam bank vault, I could barely get the foam enclosure out of the box. The amp itself has a really high quality looking chassis with nice finish. It feels very heavy and substantial and tight. The tube sockets were really tight as well as I was almost worried pushing a couple of the tubes in. Very nice fit and finish.

A couple super early impressions. There was a very subtle hum in the left ear cup of my HD 650 on high gain, but it was very quiet with no discernible noise at all on low gain. I can't say that I'm wowed right away, but I get the strong impression it will be really refined once it and all of the new components settle in. It seems like ti will have a lot of authority, and that it will have much better impact and dynamics than I am used too. I'm sure the old stock sylvania chrome dome 6sn7, sylvania 7236, and mullard gz37 should make a big difference once everything settles in and I swap them in.

Not a whole to go off of just yet, but this thing screams pride of ownership.

cleardot.gif

burn in will definitely help, congrats! system looks awesome; black/black always sleek 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back