Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Apr 4, 2012 at 1:19 AM Post #20,101 of 42,298
Just got shipping confirmation for my black WA22...woot!  
beerchug.gif

Apr 4, 2012 at 1:27 AM Post #20,102 of 42,298
Quote:
Don't kill me since this a Woo thread, IMHO, Denon and AT sounds their best out of SS amp.

Not going to kill you, the best amp I've heard with my AD2000 was from a, wait for it, Rudistor NX-03 solid state amp. But the Darkvoice 337 came pretty close to it. Alas I still can't get my AD2000 to sound just as good on my WA22, but it can still sound very decent. Oddly it sounds better with impedence set to "high" rather than "low".

Quote:
Just got shipping confirmation for my black WA22...woot!  
beerchug.gif

Congrats! Black is an awesome colour, dust magnet though it may be. Hope you'll enjoy it as much as I do!

Apr 4, 2012 at 7:08 AM Post #20,105 of 42,298
Going to drop a question on NOS tubes.

Why NOS at all? I'm interested in reasons people have.

Tube type you want isn't made any more, fair enough.
But in the cases of tube types that exist as reproductions targeting various price points. Why?
I'm disregarding individual tube sound as it muddies the water.

Why Old over new? Tubes, new and old are obviously intended to conform to a particular specification and requirement (electrically speaking)
Are new tubes sloppily made? Do they not last as long? Poor vacuum hardness or what?

Even in a 'golden age' of mass production. Tubes were spewed out of factories in enormous numbers just like other components.
I've seen some great old documentaries on some tube factories on youtube...funnily enough, they looked very similar to something you'd see on 'How it's Made' or 'Megafactories' via Discovery channel. Highly industrial, highly mechanised operations to meet the large demands of the day.

I'm trying to understand the 'desirability' of NOS and where it comes from. 

I've been going mad for days thinking about it!

Apr 4, 2012 at 8:13 AM Post #20,107 of 42,298
Are there any woo owners out there who are using the HE-500 headphones?? Especially wa6se owners?? It seems like a well priced high fi headphone. 

Apr 4, 2012 at 8:18 AM Post #20,108 of 42,298
I do believe a lot of the NOS superiority is overblown.  For example, the Sophia Princess is new production, and people love that.  Some Emission Lab tubes, too.

There has been a fair amount of documentation about Electro-Harmonix tubes of the 9-pin variety losing vacuum and prematurely dying.  So, there's that.

But, most importantly, of those who tried NOS tubes and their new production equivalents, many of us just think NOS sound better.  I don't think we would have any problems using new production tubes if they sounded better than NOS.  As to why they don't, I don't really know.

Quote:

Tube type you want isn't made any more, fair enough.
But in the cases of tube types that exist as reproductions targeting various price points. Why?
I'm disregarding individual tube sound as it muddies the water.

Why Old over new? Tubes, new and old are obviously intended to conform to a particular specification and requirement (electrically speaking)
Are new tubes sloppily made? Do they not last as long? Poor vacuum hardness or what?

Even in a 'golden age' of mass production. Tubes were spewed out of factories in enormous numbers just like other components.
I've seen some great old documentaries on some tube factories on youtube...funnily enough, they looked very similar to something you'd see on 'How it's Made' or 'Megafactories' via Discovery channel. Highly industrial, highly mechanised operations to meet the large demands of the day.

I'm trying to understand the 'desirability' of NOS and where it comes from. 

I've been going mad for days thinking about it!

Apr 4, 2012 at 9:35 AM Post #20,109 of 42,298

Quote:
Not going to kill you, the best amp I've heard with my AD2000 was from a, wait for it, Rudistor NX-03 solid state amp. But the Darkvoice 337 came pretty close to it. Alas I still can't get my AD2000 to sound just as good on my WA22, but it can still sound very decent. Oddly it sounds better with impedence set to "high" rather than "low".

Just wait til you tried your AD2000 with HA5000 or beta22.

Apr 4, 2012 at 11:36 AM Post #20,110 of 42,298
Quote:

Just wait til you tried your AD2000 with HA5000 or beta22.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'd like to try the AD2000 with the Zana Deux as well, the only problem is finding the people who have them!

Quote:

For the price of premium Shuguang Treasures, I can have either Sylvania 6SN7W short bottle, JAN Raytheon VT-231, National Union 6SN7GT or Brimar CV1988, all of which are similarly priced or even cheaper. These NOS tubes are pretty renown and their sonic qualities have stood the test of time. I'm pretty sure the Shuguang Tresures are no slouch as well, but in their price range you are hard pressed to find other current production 6SN7 tubes. The sheer variety of NOS tubes means you can have plenty of fun rolling at varying price ranges.

I don't have anything against current production tubes; I'd gladly take the EML 5U4G mesh plate over the Mullard GZ34 metal base anytime. I've heard that current production 300B tubes are pretty decent as well. What matters is choosing the right tube at your set price point, without worrying about whether it's NOS or not.

Apr 4, 2012 at 12:40 PM Post #20,111 of 42,298
Okay, looks like I have swayed from the Woo 2 to the Woo 6SE. After reading around (tons of reviews and forums impressions), it seems as if though the 6SE might be better for me. It's supposed to have far superior speed a better soundstage, better treble extensions, a lot better PRaT, and added resolution over the Woo 2. Since I won't be getting an HD800 for awhile, I bet the 6SE will sound great with the HD650 and LCD-2 (if that's what I choose).

Apr 4, 2012 at 1:08 PM Post #20,112 of 42,298

Quote:
Okay, looks like I have swayed from the Woo 2 to the Woo 6SE. After reading around (tons of reviews and forums impressions), it seems as if though the 6SE might be better for me. It's supposed to have far superior speed a better soundstage, better treble extensions, a lot better PRaT, and added resolution over the Woo 2. Since I won't be getting an HD800 for awhile, I bet the 6SE will sound great with the HD650 and LCD-2 (if that's what I choose).

FWIW, Austin, the HD800 and the T1 for that matter, sound pretty darn nice on the 6SE.  The word is that the WA2 is a 'better' pairing (I havent heard it yet) but by no means does that imply that the 6SE is a 'bad' pairing with these cans.

Apr 4, 2012 at 1:11 PM Post #20,113 of 42,298

Quote:
FWIW, Austin, the HD800 and the T1 for that matter, sound pretty darn nice on the 6SE.  The word is that the WA2 is a 'better' pairing (I havent heard it yet) but by no means does that imply that the 6SE is a 'bad' pairing with these cans.

Problem is, I've heard the HD800 and the T1 with the WA2, so I know how godly they sound out of it, yet I haven't heard the WA6SE with those two, so I am going off of blind impressions. 

Apr 4, 2012 at 1:20 PM Post #20,114 of 42,298

Quote:
Problem is, I've heard the HD800 and the T1 with the WA2, so I know how godly they sound out of it, yet I haven't heard the WA6SE with those two, so I am going off of blind impressions. 

they are both excellent pairing, i think it is down to your personal preference.  wa2 is more tubey and wa6se is more dynamic with ss sounding.

Apr 4, 2012 at 1:24 PM Post #20,115 of 42,298

Quote:
they are both excellent pairing, i think it is down to your personal preference.  wa2 is more tubey and wa6se is more dynamic with ss sounding.

Have you heard both via the HD800 and the HD650, by chance? Looks like I may need to steer more towards the WA6SE now more than anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back