Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Apr 3, 2012 at 11:37 AM Post #20,086 of 42,298

Quote:
I got the invite as well. I bought a stand in the past, and Jack was awesome enough to take in my used WA22 for repair and an upgrade. Unfortunately I am way too far away
frown.gif

Only two months new, I sure hope that pyramid6 had a chance to listen to it with some better tubes before he decide to pass it on
blink.gif

Still have it, I closed the ad because I wanted to listen to it with the WDS-1.  I did get some better tubes.  The problem wasn't with the amp.  The problem was with the headphones, D7000 and W3000ANV.  I felt the amp was too loud with those headphones.  With the volume control on the WDS-1, volume is not a problem anymore.

I'm thinking of keeping it now.  I really like the way it sounds with the WDS-1.  Of course, I'll need to buy new tubes again.

Apr 3, 2012 at 12:01 PM Post #20,087 of 42,298

Quote:
davidio, I would check the sockets for debris or buildup, then clean the pins on the ECC32s as good first troubleshooting steps.  It may have just been a fluke and one tube wasn't seated well also.  The pins in the sockets are spring loaded, so if you permanently bent them it would be easy to tell by shining a light in there and checking.

I enjoy your writing style btw, elegant and vivid but still purposeful.  The way you describe the ECC32 reminds me a lot of the things I had to say about the Sylvania Chrome Dome '52 GT.  If you haven't listened to that tube, or to the round plate black glass Tung Sol GT they are also must have 6SN7s IMO.  A lot of folks feel the ECC32 is the king though, so maybe the view isn't as grand when you climb back down from the top of the mountain so to speak.

Xcalibur,
Thanks for the compliments and the tips!  I'm going to buy some De Oxit spray and do a little cleaning.  Fortunately, the ECC32 were NOS and very nice and I put them directly into the adapters first, so I'm hoping that the problem, if permanent, resides with the the adapter pins...a much less costly issue.

Apr 3, 2012 at 12:08 PM Post #20,088 of 42,298

Quote:
Still have it, I closed the ad because I wanted to listen to it with the WDS-1.  I did get some better tubes.  The problem wasn't with the amp.  The problem was with the headphones, D7000 and W3000ANV.  I felt the amp was too loud with those headphones.  With the volume control on the WDS-1, volume is not a problem anymore.

I'm thinking of keeping it now.  I really like the way it sounds with the WDS-1.  Of course, I'll need to buy new tubes again.

I have the same issue with my D7000 before but I got around it is using the volume control on my DAC.  Are you using a 6080/6AS7G power tubes?

Apr 3, 2012 at 12:21 PM Post #20,089 of 42,298

Quote:
Greetings davidio!

Try sending fellow member 2359glenn a PM. I'm sure he can help!

HOW TO RAISE THE HEIGHT OF A TUBE ON YOUR HEADPHONE AMP

Hmmm.  Maybe I had to search for this because it is just common knowledge to most audiophiles.  This is another simple fix for which no easy answers could be found online.  And head fi is the place to find it, I would think.  So if your favorite tubes can't be placed together because one or two of them need elbow room, or just because they are all just a bunch of fatties (aren't most of the good ones?), you can change the height of individual tubes cheaply by buying socket savers.  They come in 8 or 9 pin configurations and are universal.  For those who don't know, socket savers are meant to save the sockets in your amp if you do a lot of switching out, the way that tube tester folks will do.  So you would put the saver in so that you won't wear out your original socket.  In our case, you would put the saver in your original socket and then plug your favorite fatty into the top of the saver in order to boost the height:  Savers are, on average, three quarters of an inch tall. 

Anyway, if you search socket savers, they can be found in most electronics catalogues and on ebay.  My understanding is that the 8 socket variety aren't made anymore whereas 9 pin varieties can be purchased new.  For the 274B Princess, I'll need the NOS 8 pin version to lift her up where she belongs...where eagles fly...on a mountain high. 

Apr 3, 2012 at 12:22 PM Post #20,090 of 42,298

Quote:

I have the same issue with my D7000 before but I got around it is using the volume control on my DAC.  Are you using a 6080/6AS7G power tubes?

Yes.  As much as I like the WA22, I just don't think it is great with low impedance headphones.  Changing the volume on the DAC helps with the volume, noise is still an issue though.  I tried 8 or 9 pairs of power tubes and all of them were noisy.  With the volume issue fixed, I might try again.

I really want to try the LCD-2 with the WA22.  

Apr 3, 2012 at 12:26 PM Post #20,091 of 42,298

Quote:
Yes.  As much as I like the WA22, I just don't think it is great with low impedance headphones.  Changing the volume on the DAC helps with the volume, noise is still an issue though.  I tried 8 or 9 pairs of power tubes and all of them were noisy.  With the volume issue fixed, I might try again.

hum, none of the tubes i used are noisy and i usually listen late in the night where there is no noise what so ever.  the best power tubes i tried with d7000 are gec 6080 and gec 6as7g, never have a chance to try the w3000anv and it is in my wish list.

wa22 is great with lcd2 but make sure you have ts or sylvania 7236 power tubes.

Apr 3, 2012 at 12:35 PM Post #20,092 of 42,298

Quote:
hum, none of the tubes i used are noisy and i usually listen late in the night where there is no noise what so ever.  the best power tubes i tried with d7000 are gec 6080 and gec 6as7g, never have a chance to try the w3000anv and it is in my wish list.

wa22 is great with lcd2 but make sure you have ts or sylvania 7236 power tubes.

I listen at very quiet levels.  My db meter reads 45db pressed up against the cup.  Sometimes I turn it down from there.

Apr 3, 2012 at 12:59 PM Post #20,093 of 42,298

Quote:
Really wish that I could attend. Unfortunately, I live in the rainy state of Washington.

Me too! I really wish that I could attend. Unfortunately, I live in the foggy city of San Francisco.

Apr 3, 2012 at 1:05 PM Post #20,094 of 42,298

Quote:
Me too! I really wish that I could attend. Unfortunately, I live in the foggy city of San Francisco.

Ah, I feel for you my friend. I have a feeling it's going to be a spectacular show too.

Apr 3, 2012 at 3:51 PM Post #20,095 of 42,298

Quote:
HOW TO RAISE THE HEIGHT OF A TUBE ON YOUR HEADPHONE AMP

Hmmm.  Maybe I had to search for this because it is just common knowledge to most audiophiles.  This is another simple fix for which no easy answers could be found online.  And head fi is the place to find it, I would think.  So if your favorite tubes can't be placed together because one or two of them need elbow room, or just because they are all just a bunch of fatties (aren't most of the good ones?), you can change the height of individual tubes cheaply by buying socket savers.  They come in 8 or 9 pin configurations and are universal.  For those who don't know, socket savers are meant to save the sockets in your amp if you do a lot of switching out, the way that tube tester folks will do.  So you would put the saver in so that you won't wear out your original socket.  In our case, you would put the saver in your original socket and then plug your favorite fatty into the top of the saver in order to boost the height:  Savers are, on average, three quarters of an inch tall. 

Anyway, if you search socket savers, they can be found in most electronics catalogues and on ebay.  My understanding is that the 8 socket variety aren't made anymore whereas 9 pin varieties can be purchased new.  For the 274B Princess, I'll need the NOS 8 pin version to lift her up where she belongs...where eagles fly...on a mountain high. 

Great find! When I read your post, two things immediately came to mind; Drummer's riser & Spacers. I knew what you needed but not where to find it. 
biggrin.gif

Apr 3, 2012 at 3:53 PM Post #20,096 of 42,298

Quote:
Quote:

I've tried the D5000 and AD2000 out of the WA22 and wasn't that impressed either. I will try a D7000 soon, balanced with the 6080 though.

Apr 3, 2012 at 3:59 PM Post #20,097 of 42,298

Quote:

I've tried the D5000 and AD2000 out of the WA22 and wasn't that impressed either. I will try a D7000 soon, balanced with the 6080 though.

Don't kill me since this a Woo thread, IMHO, Denon and AT sounds their best out of SS amp.

Apr 3, 2012 at 10:36 PM Post #20,098 of 42,298

Quote:
Xcalibur,
Thanks for the compliments and the tips!  I'm going to buy some De Oxit spray and do a little cleaning.  Fortunately, the ECC32 were NOS and very nice and I put them directly into the adapters first, so I'm hoping that the problem, if permanent, resides with the the adapter pins...a much less costly issue.

Sanding, deoxit, then alcohol cleaning is a standard procedure I put any new tube I buy through before putting it in my amp.  Much less need to worry about buildup of gunk in the sockets if you get the gunk off the tubes first.  :)

Apr 3, 2012 at 10:39 PM Post #20,099 of 42,298

Quote:

I bet Glenn could make you a socket saver for the Sophia.  I ran into this issue when I had my WA6 as well.

Apr 3, 2012 at 10:56 PM Post #20,100 of 42,298

Quote:
Quote:

Don't kill me since this a Woo thread, IMHO, Denon and AT sounds their best out of SS amp.

Totally agreed so far. The main reason I am trading for the D7k is because the D5k sounded so darn good out of a cheap AV123 x-head, but that was a last-minute test before I had traded those off because I didn't like them out of my WA22. I will experiment with them balanced out of the WA22, but the main plan is to plug that x-head directly into a phono stage in a different room and listen to the D7k single-ended out of that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back