Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Mar 27, 2012 at 9:15 PM Post #19,876 of 42,298
yeah that thing oozes sex.

how much clearance do you guys think the WA2 needs?
my setup currently has it on a shelf with about 4-5 inches clearance over the tops of the biggest tubes, and all of the sides of the shelf are open, just 4 posts, 1 in each corner supporting the shelf.
think it needs more room?

Mar 27, 2012 at 9:31 PM Post #19,877 of 42,298

Quote:
With your cans excelling with one Woo or another, which phone does double-duty best (WA6SE/WA2)?

HD-800.

the T1 is great with either amp as well, but can be a little on the harsh side with the WA6-SE at times.
the LCD-2 is a little slower sounding on the WA2 and the D7000 work ok with either one, but sound a little dark at times with the WA2.

the HD 800 definitely works the best with both of them, easily displaying its strengths with either amp

Mar 27, 2012 at 9:49 PM Post #19,878 of 42,298
Quote:
Ah, powering down is the perfect time to grab a drink... while giving your inner ears a break!
beerchug.gif

Yep, and I'm skipping the java today to boot. Currently steeping up some fine yerba mate to sip through my currently-favored bombilla
tongue.gif

Mar 27, 2012 at 10:01 PM Post #19,879 of 42,298
wow just my luck...

, my hd 800 fell and it bent the connector on the cable, i tried to bend them back into place and broke the metal connector. 

headphones are fine, but the cables damaged.

now i gotta buy a replacement cable. wonder how much those cost....

Mar 27, 2012 at 10:07 PM Post #19,880 of 42,298

Quote:
wow just my luck...

, my hd 800 fell and it bent the connector on the cable, i tried to bend them back into place and broke the metal connector. 

When you weren't looking
eek.gif
 the T1's did it!

Mar 27, 2012 at 10:10 PM Post #19,881 of 42,298
wow just my luck...

Pm going your way, I tried three different cables and finally decided on this one. Not sure the maker will make anymore but worth asking.

Mar 27, 2012 at 10:13 PM Post #19,882 of 42,298

Quote:

When you weren't looking
eek.gif
 the T1's did it!

they actually did, i was pulling my T1s to see them, the Hd 800 cable was wrapped around them and it knocked them over, one of the connectors got bent and when i tried to bend the metal back, it snapped. the cable still works but i can't keep a damaged cable on them, it looks really bad.

Quote:
Pm going your way, I tried three different cables and finally decided on this one. Not sure the maker will make anymore but worth asking.

ty ill look into it.

Mar 27, 2012 at 10:16 PM Post #19,884 of 42,298

Quote:
i actually just warmed up my 2 for the first time in what seems like weeks.
i keep thinking im moving away from headphones to speakers.  having found a soft spot in my heart and ears for this marantz 2245 paired with these fantastic ADS speakers.  im probably about to sell my 990s, and, the thought keeps crossing my mind that the 2 and its tubes is about a 1000$ of stuff getting no use.

anyways, just put on the 650s with the woo nicely warmed up.  what was i thinking?

i do think the beyers are on their way out, but not the woo and not the 650s or 770 pros.

if nothing else the deuce may become an awesome preamp for my speaker system.  the kind of pre amp that doubles as freaking magical headphone amp.

currently hearing Darkness at the Edge of Town, and man it sound sooooo darn gooooood

What model of ADS speakers do you have? I love ADS speakers and have been looking for a pair of M30 for over 10 years with no luck.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Mar 27, 2012 at 10:20 PM Post #19,885 of 42,298

Quote:
All the Woo talk tonight makes me put the beta22 at the time out corner and fire up the WA22.
smily_headphones1.gif

wink.gif
 Yesterday, Clayton SF so kindly asked, which three amps I wanted to hear during my upcoming visit in two weeks. The first one is easy, WA4 hands down! The next two, however, will require deeper thought...

Mar 27, 2012 at 10:23 PM Post #19,886 of 42,298
I wish I could use some of that Fancy glass, I tend toward objectivity, being more of a PC geek, but I'd get fancy glass just for looks and the EML stuff looks good. 
Maybe I missed the boat on the WA22 and the Fancy glass, I ruled it out early in my selection process having researching the what and why of Balanced, even though my source can output balance, I figured I'd never dare to mutilate my headphone cables. I guess I just wasn't convinced.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rawrbington, that sounds like plenty of space, I had to do a metric conversion, but the space above at 4inches sounds like it's in line with what you'll find most equipment manuals. The WA2 manual specifically states a minimum of 2inches, which is about half of what you're doing now. It's probably fine and yours is like an open space with a roof, I wouldn't do it because I love my fan's and stuff. if I could get watercooling sleeves, I'd probably plumb the damn thing in to my PC radiator for no other reason than because it's cool.

I spent some cash on the Woo tubes from the local distro in Australia, The Mullard 6v4s were perhaps the most expensive single item. I'm not a critical listener (just an enjoyer), not sure I could pick anything out in a blind test or anything, but I guess it sounds better, but as I understand it, Rectifiers sit in the power supply and beyond fulfilling varying power demands, don't interact with the signal but then again, Audio seems to have a Power (supply) fetish. I read the data sheets for 7236s and thought they were worth a go. (The Woo Amp comparison sheet doesn't list power output with these fitted). Some JAN 6992 picked up as a 'better' 6DJ8.

I couldn't drop the cash for Amperax 7308. I just couldn't. "Ok guys, gonna need a fact check now before I'm convinced."
The irony of my extra tube purchase is that I could've hit up a WA22 with stock valves, other selection criteria not withstanding.

Quote:
yeah that thing oozes sex.

how much clearance do you guys think the WA2 needs?
my setup currently has it on a shelf with about 4-5 inches clearance over the tops of the biggest tubes, and all of the sides of the shelf are open, just 4 posts, 1 in each corner supporting the shelf.
think it needs more room?

Mar 27, 2012 at 10:28 PM Post #19,888 of 42,298

Quote:
Beautiful

Thanks! It looks even better at night with the lights turned off. Woo makes great sounding amps that look pretty impressive.

How's my WA2 treating you?

Mar 27, 2012 at 10:29 PM Post #19,889 of 42,298
wink.gif
 Yesterday, Clayton SF so kindly asked, which three amps I wanted to hear during my upcoming visit in two weeks. The first one is easy, WA4 hands down! The next two, however, will require deeper thought...

Give the beta22 a try, bring your D7000. They are a perfect match.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back