Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Mar 26, 2012 at 4:46 PM Post #19,846 of 42,298

Quote:
I'm planning on picking one up for my secondary rig. Thinking Squeezebox Touch > ODAC > Crack. Just so you know, linking to that blog is not allowed because the author is a banned head-fi member.
now its time for some eye candy

This shot makes for a magnificent Monday!

Mar 26, 2012 at 8:27 PM Post #19,847 of 42,298
So I finally bit the bullet and picked up strannik's EML 5U4G mesh plate rectifier tube to try on my WA22. Should be interesting to compare it to my other two favourite rectifier tubes (5U4G Sylvania and 274B Princess Mesh Plate).

I'll report back once I get it.

Mar 26, 2012 at 9:41 PM Post #19,848 of 42,298
I am surprised you haven't visited the EML Glass before now on the '22.' Looking forward to hear what you hear. Have you had a chance to hear the USAF-596?
popcorn.gif

Mar 26, 2012 at 9:43 PM Post #19,849 of 42,298

Quote:
I am surprised you haven't visited the EML Glass before now on the '22.' Looking forward to hear what you hear...
popcorn.gif

Waiting for the right opportunity I guess. Found it semi-locally and at a reasonable price with very low hours.

Mar 27, 2012 at 12:33 AM Post #19,851 of 42,298

Quote:

Not 100% sure if I was one of those two the question was directed to, but would like to share my experience of tube lifetimes. 

Had 2 TSRP 6SN7 fail on me after 3000 hours of use, web implies 10,000 hours use from NOS and these were bought NOS. It was very strange failure - 3 heaters out of 4 went at once, a sad and expensive day - which is why I'm trying new production tubes out recently.

I had a Sophia "mesh" Princess 274B rectifier go gassy after 11 months. The tube had a funky purple gas in it when powered from cold, I pulled it as the gas allowed the electrodes to arc. Still have it on my desk as a show piece, scorched plates n all :)

Touch wood I've not had a 300B go on me whilst I've had the Woo5, JJ's were in use for a year before going back in their box as a backup.

Any chance of a pic of the scorched 274b??

Mar 27, 2012 at 3:56 AM Post #19,853 of 42,298

Quote:
Silently, I wondered about asking and decided against it. 
smiley_thumb.gif
 But now that you have, I wanna see it!

+1
having/using a SP right now, id like to see it too!! 
biggrin.gif

Mar 27, 2012 at 4:07 AM Post #19,854 of 42,298

Quote:
Any chance of a pic of the scorched 274b??

Heh heh 
biggrin.gif
 Ill post something at lunchtime.

Quote:
So, with all that being said about the HD800 and the WA5LE combo (and a DHC Molecule Cable down the road) and other things, what would be the best 1K DAC to go with the WA5LE and the HD800. I already have the Rein Audio X-DAC on the way, so I'm thinking another DAC may not be necessary.

I have the HD800 cabled with the SA Endorphin and Woo5 and rolling in the right tubes makes a great combo. James at SA recommended using the K1K jack but I chickened out and went for the standard quarter inch based on resale potential.

Now to save enough for a pair of LCD3's but the wallet is real sore atm :frowning2:

Mar 27, 2012 at 7:46 AM Post #19,855 of 42,298
OK here they are, due to the smoked glass and my choice of a light source in the office (A sunny window) the photos aren't great, note in the left hand pic the normal colour of the electrodes and then the "fins" in the last 2 which correspond to the least distant point between both, this is where the scorching occurred as a result of the arcing.

Enjoy :D

Mar 27, 2012 at 1:54 PM Post #19,856 of 42,298
San Raal,
Your news is not encourageing as I sink more and more money into tubes.  Ugh.  So the avg. life is less than half of what it should be.  Is your amp the problem...or is it just false advertising on the part of the tube sellers?

Speaking of spending a lot for something that might fizzle, I have ordered the Chelmer variety of Mullard ECC32s for my modded Woo 6.  Jack at Woo told me they will work in the driver seat.  I know some of you think I won't get the full effect of these drivers from the Woo 6, and I understand the concern.  But seriously, the thing sounds so damn good now with the Mundorf Silver Oils replacing all the caps, that I think it is going to be killer.  I'm ordering mine from Brendan at Tube World... They are "kuhltubes," cryo'ed.  Based on others' posts, that means that they will last a little longer, with better sound.  If anybody has comments on the debate about cryo'ed tubes, please share. 

Will post observations later.  If they fizzle and gas up, you will hear me scream halfway around the world.  I can order another Princess rectifier rather painlessly, but a rare and expensive tube like the ECC32... I may just say heck with it if I find that it is a crap shoot.  I'll just stick with the semi-rare, medium-priced tubes.  Usually, however, it seems I get what I pay for.  The military grade Brimar CV1888s are rich, defined, meaty and spacious.  No complaints from them, and they didn't cost as much as a house payment.  ECC32 pairs ARE like a house payment!  This is...crazy.    

Mar 27, 2012 at 1:58 PM Post #19,857 of 42,298

Quote:
San Raal,
Your news is not encourageing as I sink more and more money into tubes.  Ugh.  So the avg. life is less than half of what it should be.  Is your amp the problem...or is it just false advertising on the part of the tube sellers?

I think its neither. Tube life numbers are an average in ideal conditions. Much like a light bulbs advertised life. Tubes will last longer if they are driven lower than their rated maximum, and using them in an amp requires that they be turned on and off alot. Things like this don't like the constiant expansion and contraction of thermal cycling. It will lower their working life for sure.

Mar 27, 2012 at 4:18 PM Post #19,858 of 42,298
If anybody has comments on the debate about cryo'ed tubes, please share. 

Never heard of the cryo debate. Does that mean they have been cryogenically frozen for 40 years?
ECC32 pairs ARE like a house payment!  This is...crazy.    
purrin dropped 3 grand on a pair of tubes for his BA. There appears to be no limit on tube prices.

Mar 27, 2012 at 5:01 PM Post #19,859 of 42,298

Quote:
purrin dropped 3 grand on a pair of tubes for his BA. There appears to be no limit on tube prices.

He actually got a bargain for those compared to typical market price.  
confused_face.gif
 He also got to hear another set before he bought them so it was not a blind purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back