Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Mar 25, 2012 at 6:19 PM Post #19,831 of 42,298

Quote:

The AKG soundstage is really unfocused - like there is a far left and a far right but nothing in the center. It's really difficult to just get into music with it. 

My OTL cured this, big time, for my K701s.  At first I had thought the soundstage had shrunk, but after adjusting it was apparent that I was just hearing them image correctly for the first time.  They are a fussy headphone to amp, it takes more than just sheer power.

Mar 25, 2012 at 6:24 PM Post #19,832 of 42,298
So, with all that being said about the HD800 and the WA5LE combo (and a DHC Molecule Cable down the road) and other things, what would be the best 1K DAC to go with the WA5LE and the HD800. I already have the Rein Audio X-DAC on the way, so I'm thinking another DAC may not be necessary.

Mar 25, 2012 at 7:09 PM Post #19,834 of 42,298

Quote:
So, with all that being said about the HD800 and the WA5LE combo (and a DHC Molecule Cable down the road) and other things, what would be the best 1K DAC to go with the WA5LE and the HD800. I already have the Rein Audio X-DAC on the way, so I'm thinking another DAC may not be necessary.

Quote:
I'm getting the impression that a number of WA5 owners have opted for the LE version? No love for speakers or just looking to pocket the savings from an unused feature?
I like flexibility, but I often get flexibility in products I never end up using (at additional cost). Looking at the WA5, on it's face it has a connection for a headphone that may as well be as rare as hen's teeth, it's even labelled as if to taunt you!

For a long time I was looking at something nearfield for speakers, while using one of my amps as a preamp, only to find most power amps were comparatively large (physically), and going slim integrated just seems redundant.

Btw, how long is the power supply cable linking both halves of the WA5 variants. The manual doesn't state, but the pic makes it seem quite short.

The only two headphones connectors in the face plate are for the normal 1/4" TRS plug in the right side and a 4 pin XLR connector for the K1000 on the left. Looking in retrospective if I would buy it again I would go with the WA5 instead of the LE just to have the extra power out of the K1000 out put to be use with the HE-6 and LCD-X headphones. Now, If you have efficient speakers the WA5 also is a fine amplifier for them.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Mar 25, 2012 at 7:28 PM Post #19,835 of 42,298

Quote:
I'm thinking about selling one of my drum sets.. either for D7000 or HD800. I know they are very different cans. 

I had a revelation with my AKG 702 and realized why I can't get into them. 

I plugged my cheap Koss 75 into WA6SE, and realized i liked the upfrontness of them.

The AKG soundstage is really unfocused - like there is a far left and a far right but nothing in the center. It's really difficult to just get into music with it. 

eek.gif
 The horror! Hopefully, it's drum set number three, so that you'll still be backed up. I've heard both the D7000 & HD800 on a WA22 but only for a few hours. Based on my preferences for music and how I want it to sound, I'd likely go with the D7000 and pick up and pair the HD800 with another amp to be bought later. 

And then there are deals... and opportunities. If I had a chance to acquire the HD800 (recabled) Pre-Owned at a wonderful price... 
rolleyes.gif
. Deals could prove alluring with many cans, sooooo no, I'd get the Denon's for the 6 Special Edition. If one were to view my musical preferences, they'd say "Ah-ha!" And it would all make sense or more so.

Mar 25, 2012 at 8:14 PM Post #19,836 of 42,298

Quote:
If you're polling, I'm voting... W4S DAC-1!

Ah, I've been contacting them for a while now about a review. First on the uDAC and then on the DAC-2. I've been holding out though for the WS1 from Woo.

Mar 25, 2012 at 8:34 PM Post #19,838 of 42,298

Quote:
Any word back on the uDAC? Jack give you any hints on pushing the WS1 Westbound for you?

Lemme ask him about that. I'm currently reviewing the WA^ as of the moment and while the WA5LE was next on the list, looks like I'll change that. 
wink.gif

Mar 25, 2012 at 11:44 PM Post #19,839 of 42,298

Quote:

Hi Austin:

Don't have the HD800's but do have the LCD-3's and HD650's and the WA5. I am running a computer  server system and the DAC I am using and am very happy with is the Calyx DAC. It is straight USB out of my Mac mini and does 24/192. It is also balanced if you decide to go balanced (with say a WA22 instead of a WA5).

Rumble.

Mar 26, 2012 at 10:01 AM Post #19,841 of 42,298
Sorry to drop in on a slightly different discussion,
but I've been informed by Jack that the Woo 6 amp does indeed support the use of Mullard ECC32 drivers.  Currently, my only experience with 6SN7s has been the Brimar CV1888s, which to me sound fantastic with the Mundorf silver oil upgrades.  I'm getting the impression however that the Mullard ECC32 is like a holy grail of sound (even though it isn't really an 6SN7).  Skylab seems to put it at the top of the list for 6SN7-fitted drivers.  I'm intrigued enough to try it.  Does anyone here have experience with these highly prized drivers in their Woo amps?  How would you descibe the sound signature?  I've heard "romantic" and "full ranged," but those words don't translate well to me.

BTW, the mundorf upgrades are sounding better every day.  The hard edges of sound are still getting softer and all the best qualities of tube amplification are coming out now. 

Mar 26, 2012 at 10:15 AM Post #19,842 of 42,298

Quote:

I don't think a $1K DAC will do the HD800 justice, this phone is very source revealing.

Quote:
Sorry to drop in on a slightly different discussion,
but I've been informed by Jack that the Woo 6 amp does indeed support the use of Mullard ECC32 drivers.  Currently, my only experience with 6SN7s has been the Brimar CV1888s, which to me sound fantastic with the Mundorf silver oil upgrades.  I'm getting the impression however that the Mullard ECC32 is like a holy grail of sound (even though it isn't really an 6SN7).  Skylab seems to put it at the top of the list for 6SN7-fitted drivers.  I'm intrigued enough to try it.  Does anyone here have experience with these highly prized drivers in their Woo amps?  How would you descibe the sound signature?  I've heard "romantic" and "full ranged," but those words don't translate well to me.

BTW, the mundorf upgrades are sounding better every day.  The hard edges of sound are still getting softer and all the best qualities of tube amplification are coming out now. 

I would not recommend it until you upgrade you amp first, you probably will not get full advantage of the ECC32.  I recommend to try the TS BGRP 6SN7 or 6F8G instead.

Mar 26, 2012 at 2:33 PM Post #19,843 of 42,298
Here's some interesting reading on the ODAC...  

I'm planning on picking one up for my secondary rig. Thinking Squeezebox Touch > ODAC > Crack. Just so you know, linking to that blog is not allowed because the author is a banned head-fi member.

now its time for some eye candy

Mar 26, 2012 at 4:35 PM Post #19,845 of 42,298

Quote:
Yes, but he may be able to come apon a used unit, that may work with his budget. Just letting people know that it is a very nice DAC for the money.

Rumble.

Good point. Which is why I tried to 'neak in "Retail." 
biggrin.gif
 Some really good DACs come with 3 year (or 2 year) warranties - buying Pre-Owned is very smart in the ever changing minefield of DACs.

Silent One's "Silent Story" (shhhhh...). 
wink_face.gif
 I bought my W4S DAC-1 "B"-Stock from their website and saved a few hundred dollars with just over two years remaining on the 3 year warranty. Had Wyred4Sound upgrade the Digital Board; add Low ESR "Super Caps" which the DAC-1 doesn't have. My DAC-1 still came in under retail and outperforms the new DAC-1 to boot! 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back