Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Mar 27, 2012 at 11:01 PM Post #19,906 of 42,298

Quote:
yes, i have been eying his wa4 and mini tori

eek.gif
 I forgot about the mini torii!!! My pref for the WA4 is locked! Which of the remaining three amps would I want to demo thru the D7000's: LF; Beta22; Mini Torii for the final two slots?

1. WA4

Mar 28, 2012 at 1:32 AM Post #19,907 of 42,298
2) Liquid fire
3) Beta 22

you're welcome :p

Quote:
eek.gif
 I forgot about the mini torii!!! My pref for the WA4 is locked! Which of the remaining three amps would I want to demo thru the D7000's: LF; Beta22; Mini Torii for the final two slots?

1. WA4

Mar 28, 2012 at 2:03 AM Post #19,909 of 42,298

Quote:
eek.gif

1. WA4

LF, I don't think Mini Torii is ideal for the D7k unless you feel they are somehow too analytical or dry.  
blink.gif
  Though the Torii is one of those amps you maybe want to try as you might not see another for awhile, if ever.    

Mar 28, 2012 at 2:09 AM Post #19,910 of 42,298

Quote:
LF, I don't think Mini Torii is ideal for the D7k unless you feel they are somehow too analytical or dry.  
blink.gif
  Though the Torii is one of those amps you maybe want to try as you might not see another for awhile, if ever.    

Thanks, Anaxilus. I'll certainly hear the Mini Torii at a future date.

Mar 28, 2012 at 5:17 AM Post #19,911 of 42,298

Quote:
Woo audio has the two 6SN7s in series running on 12 volts so if one burns out the outher will not light. You may only have
one bad tube.

Worth investigating, Have tried searching for the Woo circuit diagrams online but understandably they probably keep the designs close to their chests.

EDIT: Oh wow, this has got me thinking, if its a 12V supply and one was to rewire the circuit for parallel heaters, you could conceivably run 12SN7's.

TSRP comes in 12SN7 and they are much cheaper than the 6SN7 variety. Anyone here ever thought about or modded their Woo to do this? (If its even possible?)

Mar 28, 2012 at 5:21 AM Post #19,912 of 42,298

Quote:
Worth investigating, Have tried searching for the Woo circuit diagrams online but understandably they probably keep the designs close to their chests.

I know.  I even asked for the specs to their transformers and never got a reply!!  Unbelievable!  
tongue_smile.gif

Mar 28, 2012 at 5:24 AM Post #19,913 of 42,298

Quote:

San Raal, You way you describe it sounds dramatic the arcing you got, The amp just shrugged the incident off? "Pfttt, is that all you GOT?!")

Question for you champs. How do you folks manage your valve stock? Aside from rolling for flavour, do you do much rotation or do you pretty much run them in to the dirt then swap? I'm flogging the crap out some Woo supplied tubes for the warranty period, but I was thinking of swapping the stock tubes back and grinding them down to nothing (or until intolerable, but I don't know what that sounds like)

Heh heh, the fuse blew, I replaced that, then replaced the Sophia 274b with the Shugang 274b vanilla (These tubes look cheap from the internal construction but sounded OK)  and it worked with no apparent ill effects - I was worried that my mains transformer may have been damaged but the fuse seems to have done its job.

Mar 28, 2012 at 11:33 AM Post #19,914 of 42,298

Quote:

Hi Davidio,

I honestly don't know why my TSRP died when they did. I wouldn't want to speculate without concrete evidence. Please dont take that as an indication your Mullards will fail before their time!

It was an expensive month in Feb, I went on a 6SN7 spending spree and ended up with quite a few NOS, some JAN Ken Rad, Valvo and JAN NU black glass and the new prod Shugang Treasure. Settled on the Shugang CV181 over NOS for my Woo5 (Its electrically equiv to a 6SN7 not a true ECC32/CV181 like your purchasing) I'm sure that you'll be very happy with your ECC32 purchase, its an investment as the value of those tubes will only go up. One would also hope that the premium you pay at an online tube vendor over a private sale is peace of mind if they are DOA.

I had a pair of the Mullard ECC32 pass through 4/5 years ago for around $200 and couldnt use them as the heaters drew too much current for the 7812 regulator in my old amps supply. :frowning2: Wish I had kept hold of them too! :frowning2:

San Raal,
Thanks for the words of encouragement.  Brendan at Tube World assured me that the old ECC32s are very rugged, and that I should expect them to last several years under average use. 

He also informed me that the cryo'ed tubes had no real claim to a longer life span, but that the process of freezing them actually improved the SQ and made the bass tighter and the mids more revealing.  Although, it seems to me that the reinforced molecular structure of the metal should make a tube stronger and thus longer lasting.  I wouldn't make any promises if I was selling cryo'ed tubes, either, because no two tubes are created equal.  One might last 8,000 hours and another 5,000.  We'll see!

What made you settle on the Shuggie Treasures over NOS tubes?  I've heard conflicting reports about treasures...that they start out sounding like they are going to be stellar and then they settle into a more average SQ.  Others say they sound better than any of the respected NOS 6SN7s.  Also heard they settle into a darker, less revealing sound.  But I see they've updated the CV181-z to a newer model, with a "t" or something at the end, instead of "z."  What is your interpretation of their SQ with the Woo gear? 

Mar 28, 2012 at 11:37 AM Post #19,915 of 42,298

Quote:
San Raal,
Thanks for the words of encouragement.  Brendan at Tube World assured me that the old ECC32s are very rugged, and that I should expect them to last several years under average use. 

He also informed me that the cryo'ed tubes had no real claim to a longer life span, but that the process of freezing them actually improved the SQ and made the bass tighter and the mids more revealing.  Although, it seems to me that the reinforced molecular structure of the metal should make a tube stronger and thus longer lasting.  I wouldn't make any promises if I was selling cryo'ed tubes, either, because no two tubes are created equal.  One might last 8,000 hours and another 5,000.  We'll see!

What made you settle on the Shuggie Treasures over NOS tubes?  I've heard conflicting reports about treasures...that they start out sounding like they are going to be stellar and then they settle into a more average SQ.  Others say they sound better than any of the respected NOS 6SN7s.  Also heard they settle into a darker, less revealing sound.  But I see they've updated the CV181-z to a newer model, with a "t" or something at the end, instead of "z."  What is your interpretation of their SQ with the Woo gear? 

I did a comparison of 6h30dr and cryo'ed 6h30dr when I had the DNA Sonnet.  To me, I can't tell the difference between the two.  they are both brought NOS and have around 50 hours on it when I compare them.  YMMV.

EDIT, the ECC32 definitely a better tube than TS  6SN7 BGRP

Mar 28, 2012 at 12:29 PM Post #19,917 of 42,298

Quote:

The treasures play well with my cans, I have PS1000 and HD800, the slightly smoothed out highs help bring out the strength in the mid's on the PS1000 and the romantic lush mid's work nice on the HD800. The NOS Valvo 6SN7 I have, *just* beat the BT on tone, but have just a shade too much top end for my taste.

I've not heard the Psvane's CV181 (the -t's) but the blurb on GF is that these are more along the lines of new production style 6SN7 going for a balanced presentation, whilst the Black Treasure was their interpretation of NOS. they describe them has having lush mids with a softer top.

Damn - this thread is making me regret selling my ECC32's !

Mar 28, 2012 at 1:39 PM Post #19,918 of 42,298
Has anyone tried these Full Music 274B rectifiers?

Mar 28, 2012 at 2:00 PM Post #19,920 of 42,298

Users who are viewing this thread

Back