Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Mar 14, 2012 at 4:51 AM Post #19,621 of 42,298

Quote:
There was more than 2000 messages since my last entry!

I feel like I'm a little stuck.. or maybe I'm done upgrading?

At this point I don't even know what to save up for. Will I hear a big difference between  LCD2 and my AKG 702 for example, and will the difference be worth $1000? Will I honestly hear the difference between dacs, and if so which one is better?? The new woo dec looks great, but will I be able to hear the difference? I can't really get a conclusive vibe from the forums sometimes, it seems like everybody is boasting about their own equipment..

So you see, looks like I've been in the real world a little too long 
smily_headphones1.gif

Fellow member shipsupt is in a great position to answer your LCD-2/K702 question for the 6 Special Edition. I understand where you are, though... it's a familiar place. 
popcorn.gif

Mar 14, 2012 at 6:52 AM Post #19,622 of 42,298

Thank You! 

I'm going to read his posts now.
Quote:
Fellow member shipsupt is in a great position to answer your LCD-2/K702 question for the 6 Special Edition. I understand where you are, though... it's a familiar place. 
popcorn.gif

Mar 14, 2012 at 7:55 AM Post #19,624 of 42,298
There's a thread on Woo's new DAC and CD transport, but they have only been auditioned at a headphone meet I think and impressions are fleeting. I share your curiosity about that DAC emremusic.

I think it's safe to say that it will be of great quality and we know that it looks great and will be supported very well by Woo. And there is a $100 discount to be had for those that want to be first in line on each unit while they are in the pre-order phase!

Mar 14, 2012 at 8:46 AM Post #19,625 of 42,298
I had a chance to listen both on my WA5 and frankly I was disappointed by LCD2's sound. But who knows?

Quote:
There was more than 2000 messages since my last entry!

I feel like I'm a little stuck.. or maybe I'm done upgrading?

At this point I don't even know what to save up for. Will I hear a big difference between  LCD2 and my AKG 702 for example, and will the difference be worth $1000? Will I honestly hear the difference between dacs, and if so which one is better?? The new woo dec looks great, but will I be able to hear the difference? I can't really get a conclusive vibe from the forums sometimes, it seems like everybody is boasting about their own equipment..

So you see, looks like I've been in the real world a little too long 
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 14, 2012 at 9:12 AM Post #19,626 of 42,298
I think it's a pretty amazing combination--but that's the only "real" setup I've experienced... I'm anxious for your compare/contrast with the T1s since I am considering getting those as a complement to my HD800.

just got HD 800s!! listening to them with my WA2.

omg.... its insane.

the WA2 is really starting to show me whats its capable of....it has alot more power than i thought, and it really brings the best out of these headphones. they sound so much better than last time i heard them. more to come.

waiting for my T1 still....

Mar 14, 2012 at 4:33 PM Post #19,627 of 42,298
Just received my LCD2s, going to try them on my WA6SE and ill post some initial impressions..

Mar 14, 2012 at 8:34 PM Post #19,629 of 42,298
Ok so initial impressions after several hours of listening and A/B'ing... Running ALAC and 320kbps files through my macbook air to my peachtree audio decco2 to my WA6SE running Sophia Princess rect and 6FD7 power tubes (believe they are RCA - but no label)

Sadly, not that impressed with the audio. They look really cool though, but are on the heavier side so they do become uncomfy after an hour..

Having the Ultrasone Signature Pros and the Denon D7000 to compare to, the LCD2 don't really do anything better than either of my other phones. One thing I have mixed feelings about is the ultra smooth treble (I tend to be sibilant sensitive); but its almost too laid back, like the HD650s and not even close to the detail retrieval level of the Signature Pros. Also the Soundstage on the D7000s still bests the LCD (I'm sure many people will disagree with me, but again this is how I hear it). The mid range, as many have described is very smooth, but I actually think it detracts from some recordings (especially electronic music - which I listen to a lot of).. Another thing I noticed because its so smooth I end up listening to much louder volumes to get the same level of enjoyment than I would with my other phones, I did notice the same trend with the HD650s, I guess without sibilance I don't notice loudness as much...

Another thing, I have read a great deal about the LCD2s, they are supposed to be the king of "realistic sounding" bass, but honestly on my setup, compared to my D7000s and Signature Pros, they are at the same level if not a tad bit less exciting in the bass department. I'm not a believer of hundreds of hours of burn in but I will let them run for about 50 hours to see if anything changes (don't expect much to change; the HifiMan HE500s didn't change much/if at all with 100+ burn in).

I am beginning to realize that if you want very detailed and dynamic sound, there is no escaping at least a little sibilance (which the Signature Pros and T1s have; while not over expressing sibilance, they don't hide it when its in the recording like the LCDs are doing). I always wanted a minimally sibilant headphone, but I wasn't too excited about the HD650 and now I am feeling about the same with the LCD2s. BUT, if ultra smoothness is what you are looking for and you are willing to sacrifice some clarity I believe the LCD2 is worth checking out, I am enjoying it more the HD650. I think I was initially seeking smoothness after the ultra sibilant Beyerdynamic DT990, Denon D2000s and Ultrasone Pro900s (when I started my audio journey) but I think maybe my taste has changed since then.

Lastly, on build quality..
I think its awesome that Audeze a relatively small company has made such a great headphone, but honestly for the price the build and feel of the Signature Pros and Denons fit the pricing category better. For example, when adjusting the headband not only is it really difficult on the Audeze, when it clicks into place there is a really cheap feel to it (just my thoughts). -btw I am a wood fan so that part of it I find very cool.

This initial review is to state that the headphones just didn't WOW me compared to my other headphones on my particular setup, but they are still excellent sounding.

Mar 14, 2012 at 11:48 PM Post #19,630 of 42,298
Give them some time, the rev.2 reportedly responds well to burn-in.

Mar 14, 2012 at 11:50 PM Post #19,631 of 42,298
yeah they do improve soon enough. i too wasn't too thrilled when i got them. but eventually they got better and i think theyre right on par with the hd 800. they definitely sound like top tier headphones.

Mar 15, 2012 at 1:06 AM Post #19,632 of 42,298

Quote:
yeah they do improve soon enough. i too wasn't too thrilled when i got them. but eventually they got better and i think theyre right on par with the hd 800. they definitely sound like top tier headphones.

No doubt they are top tier (I wasn't stating otherwise), but I consider my other phones top tier as well and besides the audio, my other problem with the LCD2 is comfort, the headband just hits all the wrong spots on my head.. I get a lot of pressure on several areas that become painful to the point that I really can't listen to them for over an hour, even at 30 mins it starts to become uncomfortable; that surely won't change with burn in haha :wink:, don't think these guys are going to be keepers for me, but I'll give it a little more time, if the audio ends up "wowing" me I may reconsider..

Mar 15, 2012 at 1:58 AM Post #19,633 of 42,298

Quote:
No doubt they are top tier (I wasn't stating otherwise), but I consider my other phones top tier as well and besides the audio, my other problem with the LCD2 is comfort, the headband just hits all the wrong spots on my head.. I get a lot of pressure on several areas that become painful to the point that I really can't listen to them for over an hour, even at 30 mins it starts to become uncomfortable; that surely won't change with burn in haha :wink:, don't think these guys are going to be keepers for me, but I'll give it a little more time, if the audio ends up "wowing" me I may reconsider..

Hopefully, you make it through the weekend... if not the month.

Mar 15, 2012 at 2:01 AM Post #19,634 of 42,298
Mar 15, 2012 at 2:21 AM Post #19,635 of 42,298

Quote:

You might be surprised about the headband.  This was a major issue for me with the K701 when it was new.  Within 15 minutes the "nub" at the top of the inner side of the headband would start causing sharp pain on the top of my head.  It was quite bad and far too distracting to try to listen to music in such a state.  It would drive me nuts. 

At some point, I honestly can't even say when, it just stopped being a problem and I can wear them for hours with no pain now.  As for what changed I can't say, maybe my head got harder. 
tongue_smile.gif
  But perseverance and open mindedness are probably the two most valuable tools we can deploy against issues like this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back