Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Dec 4, 2011 at 12:16 AM Post #16,382 of 42,298
hey MacidonianHero, what dac did you used to use when you were using the wa2?
and did you ever hear any orthos (hifimans or audeze) out of the 2?

Dec 4, 2011 at 12:18 AM Post #16,383 of 42,298

Quote:
hey MacidonianHero, what dac did you used to use when you were using the wa2?
and did you ever hear any orthos (hifimans or audeze) out of the 2?

Cary XCiter (great DAC, very neutral and revealing):
http://www.caryaudio.com/products/xciter/XciterDAC.html

The WA2 was quite good driving my LCD-2s...but a non-starter really with the HE-6s.

Dec 4, 2011 at 12:33 AM Post #16,384 of 42,298
ahh nice.
i've kinda wanted the LCD2's for a while.
and htey seem to kinda be on sale lately if you buy used.  which i prefer to do.

i think the Cary is a bit out of my price range.  looks awesome though

Dec 4, 2011 at 12:51 AM Post #16,385 of 42,298

So beautiful. Enjoy!

lastly the 600 ohm 990s.
if you like the 990/880/770 sound, i feel like the match between the wa2 and the 990 600 ohm is outstanding.  perhaps very close to as good as it gets.  the tube nature of the OTL wa2 and the 990/600 is a match made in heaven.  Clarity, detail, SoundStage.  The sibilence is dulled a hair, changing them from bright to just having nice top end sparkle.  the bottom end tightens up a hair and the little bit of bloat is gone.  and the mids really come out to play.  keeping the same lively incredibly fun sound, but taming the edges, almost bringing a little bit more fidelity to the sound i think.  these two really like each other a lot.  and when you put them on, well it really is magic.  it gives you that feeling that we all know.  the feeling where you get goosebumps, not so much from the song being badass, which def does happen of course, but goosebumps because the equipment is just flat out killing it

I felt the same when I had DT880s. They love the WA2, would have kept them if the HD800 didn't cover their territory.

Dec 4, 2011 at 3:15 AM Post #16,387 of 42,298

Danska, do you like Zu mobius cable?

Quote:

Here she is, just getting warmed up. I'll be taking some more pictures over the next day or two when I get a chance to listen for a while.

SilentOne: I played Diana Krall's "I love being here with you" from her Live In Paris LP (45) for a intro track. By the third song on that side, things were really opening up. My only comments so far are that the highs seem a bit harsh, I'm using the Sylvania driver tubes pictured.

Dec 4, 2011 at 3:16 AM Post #16,388 of 42,298

Quote:
We need an HD850 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oh please no. I am trying to save some money here.

Dec 4, 2011 at 10:35 AM Post #16,390 of 42,298
Quote:
WA 6 Special Edition, Shure E3c pairing ~

Finally unearthed the IEM's two hours past Midnight. And though I played the previous three tracks in their entirety, I couldn't make it through track four. Initially, I found myself fighting a hum and the presentation's brightness. jc9394 recommended using low gain tubes, and I believe my Ray's fill the bill there. The hum was not loud, but with the isolation custom ear molds provide, it's more noticeable than it would be with buds.

I admit to being use to the sound of my glorious D7000's. But man, it was bright! Just when my brain started to settle in it was too late... "Eject! eject! eject!" I did find detail and clarity returned from the Woo - did not blink or falter when cranked; decent soundstage. I am convinced that a better IEM would fair better, and perhaps, a different amp with this IEM.

One of the things I never could get with is the Bass (or lack there of) from the Shure's (this model). Very pedestrian, almost like an after thought. I'm not speaking to Bass notes where there should be none. Nor in yo' face! And this complaint isn't limit to Bass as the same could be said for treble. But when something isn't playing at the right level in the presentation then other weaknesses are exposed.

Not always, but sometimes when Bass is amiss in the presentation, percussion can sound a bit off (think Slam!). Some notes support or compliment other parts of the mix in a recording (this is my view). Also, some notes can suffer alone while others happily play along in the music. But usually, I find other parts of the mix suffering from the misery of one instrument or frequency.

My little evaluation speaks more about the Shure's than the Woo - no problem since I can easily find pairings to make both of them happy. I'd like to add that the Shure's did sound good played through the amp section of my E-MU 0404 USB DAC's amp section, and a home theater amp (Aiwa).

Ahhh, I overlooked pairing the Shure's with the Pioneer SX-650! But your interest cifani, was with the Woo, so just for the sake of curiosity tonight... 
biggrin.gif

Thank you, sorry it didn't work out.

Quote:
So, as much as I don't want to distract from any current discussions going on... everyone loves a few good pictures, amirite? 
biggrin.gif

Got some (unmarked) fat bottle 6FD7s from Jack for my WA6 and I absolutely love them.  I really enjoy the low frequency energy they produce!  The highs are very interesting as well - not rolled off - but just a fascinating characteristic to them!  Not sibilant one bit, which fits my HD650s just fine, of course.  Very expressive tubes with a great midrange signature!

P.S.  The beer in the top-left of the last picture is Dogfish Head's 60 Minute IPA 
rolleyes.gif
.  Also, seen 'inside' the Sophia is my Chapstick.  Gotta love the New England chill...

Very nice! It looks like the silver is green...

Quote:
I love my LCD-2 but I have to admit that my daughters Audio Technica ATH AD700's often kick its ass when it comes to soundstage.  I'm also interested in the HD 800 for the soundstage but I'm waiting on the HD 700's that are rumored to be coming sometime in January.

They are... If you know your Sennheisers, you should know this was the newly leaked photo of the HD-700's.

Dec 4, 2011 at 12:52 PM Post #16,391 of 42,298

Quote:

They are... If you know your Sennheisers, you should know this was the newly leaked photo of the HD-700's.

Is that some kind of a joke, or is that real? I like the design of the HD650's and the HD800 a lot more.

Dec 4, 2011 at 12:52 PM Post #16,392 of 42,298

Quote:
ahh yes forgot about the schiit.
that one is definitely intriguing

i currently drive my 6SE off a bifrost and as the french soldier said "oh yes, it's very nice!".  unfortunately i have nothing to compare it to.  my only other DAC is the headroom micro dac but i haven't gotten the two close enough to try them together yet.  in any case, from memory, i'm pretty sure the bifrost is the winner in that contest.  at that price the schiit is pretty hard to beat imo.

Dec 4, 2011 at 12:56 PM Post #16,393 of 42,298

Quote:
Is that some kind of a joke, or is that real? I like the design of the HD650's and the HD800 a lot more.

i don't know, i can certainly see the evolution.  600 cups attached a la 800 with some metal highlights.  i don't think they look bad at all...

Dec 4, 2011 at 1:02 PM Post #16,394 of 42,298

Quote:
i don't know, i can certainly see the evolution.  600 cups attached a la 800 with some metal highlights.  i don't think they look bad at all...

There is something about them I don't like. I don't know what it is, maybe it's the awkwardly positioned cups just like on the new Senns.

Dec 4, 2011 at 1:11 PM Post #16,395 of 42,298

Quote:

Looks like a Beyer, I don't like it at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back