Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Dec 3, 2011 at 7:02 PM Post #16,351 of 42,298

Quote:

You missed the boat bud, I gave out brunch of WA6 tubes long time ago.

That's because I was sitting in a different Harbor. 
biggrin.gif
 I made the move to 6SN7 series tubes during the first few hundred hours of burn-in.

Dec 3, 2011 at 7:43 PM Post #16,352 of 42,298
WA 6 Special Edition, Shure E3c pairing ~

Finally unearthed the IEM's two hours past Midnight. And though I played the previous three tracks in their entirety, I couldn't make it through track four. Initially, I found myself fighting a hum and the presentation's brightness. jc9394 recommended using low gain tubes, and I believe my Ray's fill the bill there. The hum was not loud, but with the isolation custom ear molds provide, it's more noticeable than it would be with buds.

I admit to being use to the sound of my glorious D7000's. But man, it was bright! Just when my brain started to settle in it was too late... "Eject! eject! eject!" I did find detail and clarity returned from the Woo - did not blink or falter when cranked; decent soundstage. I am convinced that a better IEM would fair better, and perhaps, a different amp with this IEM.

One of the things I never could get with is the Bass (or lack there of) from the Shure's (this model). Very pedestrian, almost like an after thought. I'm not speaking to Bass notes where there should be none. Nor in yo' face! And this complaint isn't limit to Bass as the same could be said for treble. But when something isn't playing at the right level in the presentation then other weaknesses are exposed.

Not always, but sometimes when Bass is amiss in the presentation, percussion can sound a bit off (think Slam!). Some notes support or compliment other parts of the mix in a recording (this is my view). Also, some notes can suffer alone while others happily play along in the music. But usually, I find other parts of the mix suffering from the misery of one instrument or frequency.

My little evaluation speaks more about the Shure's than the Woo - no problem since I can easily find pairings to make both of them happy. I'd like to add that the Shure's did sound good played through the amp section of my E-MU 0404 USB DAC's amp section, and a home theater amp (Aiwa).

Ahhh, I overlooked pairing the Shure's with the Pioneer SX-650! But your interest cifani, was with the Woo, so just for the sake of curiosity tonight... 
biggrin.gif

Dec 3, 2011 at 7:52 PM Post #16,353 of 42,298
So, as much as I don't want to distract from any current discussions going on... everyone loves a few good pictures, amirite? 
biggrin.gif

Got some (unmarked) fat bottle 6FD7s from Jack for my WA6 and I absolutely love them.  I really enjoy the low frequency energy they produce!  The highs are very interesting as well - not rolled off - but just a fascinating characteristic to them!  Not sibilant one bit, which fits my HD650s just fine, of course.  Very expressive tubes with a great midrange signature!

P.S.  The beer in the top-left of the last picture is Dogfish Head's 60 Minute IPA 
rolleyes.gif
.  Also, seen 'inside' the Sophia is my Chapstick.  Gotta love the New England chill...

Dec 3, 2011 at 8:24 PM Post #16,355 of 42,298
I'm glad you clarified that, Xcalibur.  I asked for them to be Sylvanias but when they came I was just like, "Oh well, I'll give whatever company made them a shot."  Wasn't disappointed.  All the things I heard about them are true, apparently!  

Dec 3, 2011 at 8:25 PM Post #16,356 of 42,298

Quote:
He sent you some Sylvania 6FD7, considered by quite a few the best drop-in tube for the amp and somewhat hard to find these days.

X2, the Sylvania 6FD7 is excellent match for HD600/650 and not bad with HD800 too.

Dec 3, 2011 at 8:26 PM Post #16,357 of 42,298

Quote:
So, as much as I don't want to distract from any current discussions going on... everyone loves a few good pictures, amirite? 
biggrin.gif

Got some (unmarked) fat bottle 6FD7s from Jack for my WA6 and I absolutely love them.  I really enjoy the low frequency energy they produce!  The highs are very interesting as well - not rolled off - but just a fascinating characteristic to them!  Not sibilant one bit, which fits my HD650s just fine, of course.  Very expressive tubes with a great midrange signature!

P.S.  The beer in the top-left of the last picture is Dogfish Head's 60 Minute IPA 
rolleyes.gif
.  Also, seen 'inside' the Sophia is my Chapstick.  Gotta love the New England chill...

Another happy Woo Audio customer! Jack really knows how to take care of his people. Photographs here are a lot like snacks - you could be in a completely different mood, but once you see 'em... 
wink_face.gif

Dec 3, 2011 at 8:29 PM Post #16,358 of 42,298

Quote:
WA 6 Special Edition, Shure E3c pairing ~

Finally unearthed the IEM's two hours past Midnight. And though I played the previous three tracks in their entirety, I couldn't make it through track four. Initially, I found myself fighting a hum and the presentation's brightness. jc9394 recommended using low gain tubes, and I believe my Ray's fill the bill there. The hum was not loud, but with the isolation custom ear molds provide, it's more noticeable than it would be with buds.

I admit to being use to the sound of my glorious D7000's. But man, it was bright! Just when my brain started to settle in it was too late... "Eject! eject! eject!" I did find detail and clarity returned from the Woo - did not blink or falter when cranked; decent soundstage. I am convinced that a better IEM would fair better, and perhaps, a different amp with this IEM.

One of the things I never could get with is the Bass (or lack there of) from the Shure's (this model). Very pedestrian, almost like an after thought. I'm not speaking to Bass notes where there should be none. Nor in yo' face! And this complaint isn't limit to Bass as the same could be said for treble. But when something isn't playing at the right level in the presentation then other weaknesses are exposed.

Not always, but sometimes when Bass is amiss in the presentation, percussion can sound a bit off (think Slam!). Some notes support or compliment other parts of the mix in a recording (this is my view). Also, some notes can suffer alone while others happily play along in the music. But usually, I find other parts of the mix suffering from the misery of one instrument or frequency.

My little evaluation speaks more about the Shure's than the Woo - no problem since I can easily find pairings to make both of them happy. I'd like to add that the Shure's did sound good played through the amp section of my E-MU 0404 USB DAC's amp section, and a home theater amp (Aiwa).

Ahhh, I overlooked pairing the Shure's with the Pioneer SX-650! But your interest cifani, was with the Woo, so just for the sake of curiosity tonight... 
biggrin.gif

Try a 6EW7 instead and did not realize you have the E3c.  It is certainly non the IEM of choice for any audiophile but it is my first IEM.  Shortly after that is the SE530 and than move on to Westone series and finally settle on Jerry Harvey's former flagship.

Dec 3, 2011 at 8:30 PM Post #16,359 of 42,298

Quote:
X2, the Sylvania 6FD7 is excellent match for HD600/650 and not bad with HD800 too.

I love them with my cans.  And don't get me started on the HD800s... I've been thinking about getting them for a long time now.  That damn price tag is such a drawback, lol.

Dec 3, 2011 at 8:32 PM Post #16,360 of 42,298

Quote:
I love them with my cans.  And don't get me started on the HD800s... I've been thinking about getting them for a long time now.  That damn price tag is such a drawback, lol.

I heard you on the price and it is recently jacked up too.  If you are too attached with HD650, you may not like the HD800 initially and asking yourself where the hell is the bass...  once your head is burn in on HD800, there is no turning back.  I still enjoy it every time I put it on.  

Dec 3, 2011 at 8:37 PM Post #16,361 of 42,298

Quote:
Try a 6EW7 instead and did not realize you have the E3c.  It is certainly non the IEM of choice for any audiophile but it is my first IEM.  Shortly after that is the SE530 and than move on to Westone series and finally settle on Jerry Harvey's former flagship.

Yes, the E3c's were my very first entry. And I know the JH's would turn my head! 
wink.gif
 But I exited the IEM's making the Denon AH-D5000's my next choice. Otherwise, I would have moved up the portables food chain. I have 6EW7's (RCA) but I found out enough about the Shure's with this particular model. Like you suggested, a better IEM would get me back to the evaluation table.

Dec 3, 2011 at 8:41 PM Post #16,362 of 42,298

Quote:
I heard you on the price and it is recently jacked up too.  If you are too attached with HD650, you may not like the HD800 initially and asking yourself where the hell is the bass...  once your head is burn in on HD800, there is no turning back.  I still enjoy it every time I put it on.  

The bass, if not satisfactory, can be EQ'd if need be.  That's right, I'm not a purist!  Haha.  I'm dying to hear the soundstage though.  If they can let me believe that I'm there with the band and you've got me as a solid buyer!  The 800's reputation for soundstage is the most alluring part for me.

Dec 3, 2011 at 8:46 PM Post #16,363 of 42,298

Quote:
The bass, if not satisfactory, can be EQ'd if need be.  That's right, I'm not a purist!  Haha.  I'm dying to hear the soundstage though.  If they can let me believe that I'm there with the band and you've got me as a solid buyer!  The 800's reputation for soundstage is the most alluring part for me.

save you some money, don't ever try it.  i like lcd-2 but with live recording, i go for hd800.

Dec 3, 2011 at 8:57 PM Post #16,364 of 42,298

Quote:
save you some money, don't ever try it.  i like lcd-2 but with live recording, i go for hd800.

That's my current dilemma.  I just don't where to go next.  The HD800 seems my logical choice (HD595 --> HD650 --> HD800).  I've heard many a-great-things about the LCD-2 but the soundstage is what's throwing me off 
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back