Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Aug 2, 2011 at 6:43 PM Post #12,331 of 42,298

I've had a similar issue where a couple of zones went out on a PSA Quintet.  PSA ended up shipping me a new power cartridge that took about 1 minute to replace.  Not sure if PPP uses a similar approach.  I do have a PPP but it is tucked away in my AV cabinet where I cant really get to it.  I also have a P10 ... it is a beast.  I'm using 15% of the max load as I type this.
Quote:
Did you ever have the PPP? Now that mine is dead I am wondering what my WA22 will sound like now. The PPP quit working this morning so I haven't had the chance to listen to any of my amps since the meltdown.

Aug 2, 2011 at 7:16 PM Post #12,332 of 42,298

Quote:

I've been working on resurrecting my vinyl for a few years now. First I dug my old Luxman P-405 out of storage. I love the features of that deck but it has issues, being around 25 years old and it wasn't exactly high end to begin with. First I upgraded the Othofon OM10 Super MM cart to a poor man's OM40 Super with a knock-off stylus from LP Gear with mixed results, it was just OK. I then managed to scrounge up a used GCPH over a year ago to hear it through my WA22, it was an improvement but less than engaging. I really want a Denon DP-A100 deck but it's not cheap so out of the question for the foreseeable future, even when I saw it at a great price shortly after it was introduced.

Then a while back I decided that I may never get the DP-A100 and found a great deal on a used DP-300F with a Ortofon 2M red and was using it straight into my HTR receiver. It has a better sonic design but not all of the features that the Luxman had. Finally I found a great deal on that DL-103R, so after procrastinating for a while I finally installed it on the DP-300F. The cart does outclass the deck but they work well together. The belt is upgraded, the built-in MM stage is bypassed in favor of the GCPH and I am loving it. If finances ever get better I would still love to get that DP-A100, I would put the 2M Red back on the 300F and put it back upstairs but who knows if that will ever happen.

edit: The DP-A100 seems to have qualified at the very bottom of Forbe's "top of the line" turntables list.

The DL-103R would be the perfect backup cart for the DL-A100 that comes with the TT of my (limited) dreams if I ever pick one up as they are basically the same technology. I guess what I am saying is that I am finally satisfied, and I have gotten there relatively cheaply. If you want to get into it on a budget there are some great deals out there on a DP300F as well as the DL-103R. They work well together and keep up with units far more expensive but you would also need a good phono stage. The GCPH sounds great and is pretty versatile but there plenty are less expensive and simpler options out there if you don't need the balanced outputs.

Grokit,

Sounds like you have a really sweet setup and are my inspiration for getting back into vinyl.  It is probably going to be about a month or two before I can move on a phono stage.  I have a really nice turntable, Clearaudio Statement with a Benz LP cartridge.  My phonostage is really in another preamp and not a seperate.  So, I guess I could throw that up, and then use the tape output into my W4S preamp which will send a balanced signal to my WA22.  I might try that since I already have everything I need.  What I really want is to get a nice used phonostage with balanced outputs and throw that in the mix, but that will be a few months out.  So, I suppose I could just use what I have for now and graduate later.  Maybe I'll do that.

It's funny when you have an idea in your mind, but when you start writing it clairifyies and brings to action.  Time to dust off my Clearaudio!!!!!!!!

Aug 2, 2011 at 7:33 PM Post #12,333 of 42,298

Quote:

I've been working on resurrecting my vinyl for a few years now. First I dug my old Luxman P-405 out of storage. I love the features of that deck but it has issues, being around 25 years old and it wasn't exactly high end to begin with. First I upgraded the Othofon OM10 Super MM cart to a poor man's OM40 Super with a knock-off stylus from LP Gear with mixed results, it was just OK. I then managed to scrounge up a used GCPH over a year ago to hear it through my WA22, it was an improvement but less than engaging. I really want a Denon DP-A100 deck but it's not cheap so out of the question for the foreseeable future, even when I saw it at a great price shortly after it was introduced.

Then a while back I decided that I may never get the DP-A100 and found a great deal on a used DP-300F with a Ortofon 2M red and was using it straight into my HTR receiver. It has a better sonic design but not all of the features that the Luxman had. Finally I found a great deal on that DL-103R, so after procrastinating for a while I finally installed it on the DP-300F. The cart does outclass the deck but they work well together. The belt is upgraded, the built-in MM stage is bypassed in favor of the GCPH and I am loving it. If finances ever get better I would still love to get that DP-A100, I would put the 2M Red back on the 300F and put it back upstairs but who knows if that will ever happen.

edit: The DP-A100 seems to have qualified at the very bottom of Forbe's "top of the line" turntables list.

The DL-103R would be the perfect backup cart for the DL-A100 that comes with the TT of my (limited) dreams if I ever pick one up as they are basically the same technology. I guess what I am saying is that I am finally satisfied, and I have gotten there relatively cheaply. If you want to get into it on a budget there are some great deals out there on a DP300F as well as the DL-103R. They work well together and keep up with units far more expensive but you would also need a good phono stage. The GCPH sounds great and is pretty versatile but there plenty are less expensive and simpler options out there if you don't need the balanced outputs.

I find your path encouraging... thanks for bringing us along.

Aug 2, 2011 at 7:41 PM Post #12,334 of 42,298

Quote:
Grokit,

Sounds like you have a really sweet setup and are my inspiration for getting back into vinyl.  It is probably going to be about a month or two before I can move on a phono stage.  I have a really nice turntable, Clearaudio Statement with a Benz LP cartridge.  My phonostage is really in another preamp and not a seperate.  So, I guess I could throw that up, and then use the tape output into my W4S preamp which will send a balanced signal to my WA22.  I might try that since I already have everything I need.  What I really want is to get a nice used phonostage with balanced outputs and throw that in the mix, but that will be a few months out.  So, I suppose I could just use what I have for now and graduate later.  Maybe I'll do that.

It's funny when you have an idea in your mind, but when you start writing it clairifyies and brings to action.  Time to dust off my Clearaudio!!!!!!!!

I can't wait to hear your Clearaudio Statement make a statement. In this case, the guest may have to buy the host a drink!
beerchug.gif

Aug 2, 2011 at 10:12 PM Post #12,335 of 42,298
Thanks for the encouragement guys. My next move, when I make the space, will be to unbox the 200 or so classical records that were given to me by my grandmother, who will be 100 years old this November!

Aug 2, 2011 at 11:04 PM Post #12,336 of 42,298

Quote:
Thanks for the encouragement guys. My next move, when I make the space, will be to unbox the 200 or so classical records that were given to me by my grandmother, who will be 100 years old this November!

The two events are indeed, special...
beerchug.gif

Aug 3, 2011 at 12:44 AM Post #12,338 of 42,298

Quote:
you experienced any difference on USB cables?

Yes, I have. I have also heard differences between digital & analogue interconnects used in my system as well. Not that you asked... but what if you had?  
biggrin.gif
   I should also add that in my system, I based the quality of USB cable on my system configuration. When setup (USB>DAC) I'd use the best cable I could afford (WireWorld Silver Startlight USB). Since using the Mhdt USBridge , I downgraded the USB cable because the bridge re-clocks the signal. Then turned around and used those premium dollars on a better digital coax cable (USB>Bridge>Coax>DAC) out of the bridge (WireWorld Silver Starlight coax).

Are things now perfect? A resounding no! But I am improving...

Aug 3, 2011 at 12:58 AM Post #12,339 of 42,298

Quote:

Awesome!

Aug 3, 2011 at 12:59 AM Post #12,340 of 42,298
Well, Grokit got me going on bringing my vinyl back to the table, but unfortunately, one channel of my turntable is not working and I have to take it in to the Clearaudio dealer.  Too bad.  But for one channel it does sound good.

Aug 3, 2011 at 1:13 AM Post #12,341 of 42,298

Quote:
Well, Grokit got me going on bringing my vinyl back to the table, but unfortunately, one channel of my turntable is not working and I have to take it in to the Clearaudio dealer.  Too bad.  But for one channel it does sound good.

Just play mono records. Problem solved!

Aug 3, 2011 at 1:45 AM Post #12,343 of 42,298

Quote:
Grokit,

Holy moly, I just looked those up, that is a nice rig 
tongue_smile.gif
!

Really nice
eek.gif

Quote:

I'm glad that I could serve as an inspiration, be sure to keep us posted
popcorn.gif

Aug 3, 2011 at 2:00 AM Post #12,344 of 42,298

FYI, I've been very impressed by PS Audio's repair shop. One of the P600 power units in my home theater blew up: it went "bang" and smoke came out of it, from which I deduced that it was broken
smile.gif
. When I unscrewed a lot of allen bolts, I found internal carnage:

I shipped it, and another P600 that was acting flaky off to PS Audio after getting RMA numbers. The only hard part was lifting the 90 pound units. They charged me a very modest fixed fee of $250 per unit, and sent them back all fixed. The one that blew up appears to have been seriously reconstructed, with new circuit boards mounted across the old ones, with all new parts. Many of the capacitors were leaking in both units, and they came back with all new caps. Impressive.

Quote:
Mike: I am completing my Self-Assessment Form. I think I'm going to have to buy something to quell this angst.
Also, my PPP is half dead! PS Audio will be contacted!

Aug 3, 2011 at 3:25 AM Post #12,345 of 42,298
Quote (original posted by Clayton SF ):

(No. Shucks. But I also saw, Norman Greenbaum (who? Spirit in the Sky) he opened for the Doors. Crazy World of Arthur Brown (Fire), Blue Cheer, Spirit, Peter, Paul & Mary, Quicksilver Messenger Service, Led Zeppelin, Yvonne Elliman (she opened for Led Zeppelin!), Johnny Crawford, Three Dog Night, Lee Michaels, Rolling Stones (1972), Guess Who. That's all I can think of. Oh, Linda Rondstadt, Lucifer with Randy Holden, Santana, Fleetwood Mac (1977).  I think that's it.)

Did you see Spirit? But the original formation with Jay Ferguson and John Locke? I adore them and I often play their four albums: for me they are one of the best band ever! Period. How were they in concert? Terrific as in studio recordings?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back