Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Aug 2, 2011 at 9:49 AM Post #12,316 of 42,298

Quote:
The fog is in. Have a great rest, you digital vampire. I've got classical on the turntable at the moment. 1964 RCA pressing of La création du monde, Op. 81a, Milhaud. BSO, Charles, Munch, cond.

A good rest, I shall. And yes, I enjoy listening to my samples of Dark Shadows opening/closing theme; Victoria Winter's opening voice over; definitely Angelique's wicked laughter!  
popcorn.gif

Aug 2, 2011 at 10:01 AM Post #12,317 of 42,298
OMG! Zone 1 and 2 on my PS Power Plant Premier had died. Could someone tell me what might be the problem? The other zones work. I reset the PPP by unplugging it for 5 minutes and plugging it back into the wall socket. I could hear the tubes cooling down from across the room and when I looked up I had noticed that 2 of my amps were off. The Woo was not wooing. :frowning2:

Aug 2, 2011 at 10:11 AM Post #12,318 of 42,298
Darn, well I hope you get to enjoy some good theater, et al, in Vondelpark. Check out what happening there when you're there. Have fun!
http://www.openluchttheater.nl/
Music on Vinyl is in the Neteherlands, too: http://www.musiconvinyl.com/

Just cam back from Vondelpark and I have say it was great. I had a chance to test my new 70-200 f2.8 lens on the ducks in their ponds, excellent.

Aug 2, 2011 at 10:39 AM Post #12,319 of 42,298

Quote:
Just cam back from Vondelpark and I have say it was great. I had a chance to test my new 70-200 f2.8 lens on the ducks in their ponds, excellent.

Excellent. You must post a link to your duck pictures taken with your new lens. What kind of camera? Those ducks are crazy in Amsterdam--not to mention the swans.

Aug 2, 2011 at 11:22 AM Post #12,320 of 42,298

I did.  Stand sounds great!
Quote:
Did you ever have a chance to see Sly & The Family Stone? They sound so good on my Woo! This despite everything in the recording being panned really hard to the left/right, still a musical delight!

Aug 2, 2011 at 11:35 AM Post #12,321 of 42,298

Quote:
SilentOne said:

Did you ever have a chance to see Sly & The Family Stone? They sound so good on my Woo! This despite everything in the recording being panned really hard to the left/right, still a musical delight!

Quote:
I did.  Stand sounds great!

No. Shucks. But I also saw, Norman Greenbaum (who? Spirit in the Sky) he opened for the Doors. Crazy World of Arthur Brown (Fire), Blue Cheer, Spirit, Peter, Paul & Mary, Quicksilver Messenger Service, Led Zeppelin, Yvonne Elliman (she opened for Led Zeppelin!), Johnny Crawford, Three Dog Night, Lee Michaels, Rolling Stones (1972), Guess Who. That's all I can think of. Oh, Linda Rondstadt, Lucifer with Randy Holden, Santana, Fleetwood Mac (1977).  I think that's it.

Aug 2, 2011 at 12:10 PM Post #12,322 of 42,298

Quote:
I am finally listening to vinyl again out of my Woo, and giving the GCPH balanced phono stage a real workout for the first time. The Denon DL 103R low-output moving coil cartridge only has a .25 mV output level so the GCPH is being fully utilized as it barely gets it done on the highest gain setting, with just enough attenuation to spare using the adjustable gain cell for fine tuning.

In the GCPH manual PS Audio does go to great lengths to say that the adjustable gain cell is definitely not the same thing as a volume attenuator if you're reading this MM.

It took me a while to get everything set up right. I had to switch out the turntable, install the cartridge and re-wire a few things. I have the balanced XLRs from the GCPH feeding my modified WA22 (2 XLR inputs, no SE), and the single-ended output is going through a vintage grounded phono switch box so I can select either my speakers or my Mac's audio input for ripping the vinyl into iTunes at 192 kHz (hopefully). I haven't gotten to that part yet but I am all set with Audacity installed and ready to go. I might also download a demo of Pure Vinyl just to compare.

I have had the cart for a while and the switch box forever but this is the first time I have used either piece of gear.

This is my first experience with an MC cart, and the best my records have ever sounded. I'm currently listening to my favorite Miles Davis album, We Want Miles which is a double live album from the later part of his career. There is certainly no random play with vinyl!

Thanks for the posting Grokit.  There is a used Cullen modded GCPH on Audiogon.  I have been thinking about it and wanting to bring vinyl back into the mix.

It's also my understanding that MC carts generally sound better than MM, but are a little more complicated to use.

Aug 2, 2011 at 12:14 PM Post #12,323 of 42,298
Mike: I am completing my Self-Assessment Form. I think I'm going to have to buy something to quell this angst.
Also, my PPP is half dead! PS Audio will be contacted!

Aug 2, 2011 at 12:19 PM Post #12,324 of 42,298

Quote:
Mike: I am completing my Self-Assessment Form. I think I'm going to have to buy something to quell this angst.
Also, my PPP is half dead! PS Audio will be contacted!

Great news!  I am sure you gave your self well deserved high marks.

If you can swing the P10 I'd do it.  I have the P5 and while I have only ever gotten up to 50% capacity, Paul McGowan says the P10 sounds better because it has more headroom.  I have not heard anyone compare the 5 with the 10 so I don't know. 

Aug 2, 2011 at 12:27 PM Post #12,325 of 42,298

Quote:
If you can swing the P10 I'd do it.  I have the P5 and while I have only ever gotten up to 50% capacity, Paul McGowan says the P10 sounds better because it has more headroom.  I have not heard anyone compare the 5 with the 10 so I don't know.

Did you ever have the PPP? Now that mine is dead I am wondering what my WA22 will sound like now. The PPP quit working this morning so I haven't had the chance to listen to any of my amps since the meltdown.

Aug 2, 2011 at 12:52 PM Post #12,326 of 42,298

Quote:
Did you ever have the PPP? Now that mine is dead I am wondering what my WA22 will sound like now. The PPP quit working this morning so I haven't had the chance to listen to any of my amps since the meltdown.

Never had a PPP.  Started out with a P600 and when it died went to the P5.  Always loved with the P600 and now the P5 is doing for source equipment because it put out regenerated power.  The P600 could never support my Audio Research VT 100 even though it fit within its range.  The amp sounded very constrained and tight.  When I plugged it into the wall directly it opened up.

When I got the P5, it could support my VT100 and in comparison tests, it sounded smoother when running off of the P5.  Have not tried comparing any other equipment on and off the P5.

Aug 2, 2011 at 4:05 PM Post #12,327 of 42,298

Quote:
Quote:
Original posted by Golfnutz
(Hi LUMAZ, welcome aboard.  I couldn't agree with you more about Pink Floyd's DSOTM SACD. I was very disappointed with the SQ on this one)

Hi Golfnutz and thanks! As you know in september EMI will publish (for the nt time) remastered (and expensive!) Pink Floyd CD's. TDSOM in particular will also have a complete live performance. Probably I will buy a copy but I would like to know in advance if it is worthy. I hope that some friends of Head-Fi will get a copy before me!.
Also I see that you are a Cardas interconnect cable. Do you like it? Until two months ago all of my cables were Nordost cables (Valhalla and Brahma power cords, Tyr interconnects) but after my new retailer made me hear the German born Klimo cables, I sold (for 1/3 of their price!) all my Nordost cables and replaced with Klimo cables. It is incredible how Nordost cables are so expensive and so bad playing! I don't know how people keep on buying them!

Yes LUMAZ, I like them, but I'm not much of a cable guy. Like you, I take the recommendation from a local Stereo Shop guy. I haven't compared them to many High End cables. I like them better then some XLR MIT's I have.

Are you plugging your Naim CD555 directly into the WA22 (RCA to RCA)?

Aug 2, 2011 at 5:52 PM Post #12,328 of 42,298

Quote:
You're stirring the pot with interest! I'm trying very hard to lead-in with my BIG toe first, rest the foot some (buying an album or two), then e-a-s-e the rest of that foot into the vinyl pool so I don't get sucked in without having the ability to swim! (discretionary $$$) 

Quote:
Thanks for the posting Grokit.  There is a used Cullen modded GCPH on Audiogon.  I have been thinking about it and wanting to bring vinyl back into the mix.

It's also my understanding that MC carts generally sound better than MM, but are a little more complicated to use.

I've been working on resurrecting my vinyl for a few years now. First I dug my old Luxman P-405 out of storage. I love the features of that deck but it has issues, being around 25 years old and it wasn't exactly high end to begin with. First I upgraded the Othofon OM10 Super MM cart to a poor man's OM40 Super with a knock-off stylus from LP Gear with mixed results, it was just OK. I then managed to scrounge up a used GCPH over a year ago to hear it through my WA22, it was an improvement but less than engaging. I really want a Denon DP-A100 deck but it's not cheap so out of the question for the foreseeable future, even when I saw it at a great price shortly after it was introduced.

Then a while back I decided that I may never get the DP-A100 and found a great deal on a used DP-300F with a Ortofon 2M red and was using it straight into my HTR receiver. It has a better sonic design but not all of the features that the Luxman had. Finally I found a great deal on that DL-103R, so after procrastinating for a while I finally installed it on the DP-300F. The cart does outclass the deck but they work well together. The belt is upgraded, the built-in MM stage is bypassed in favor of the GCPH and I am loving it. If finances ever get better I would still love to get that DP-A100, I would put the 2M Red back on the 300F and put it back upstairs but who knows if that will ever happen.

edit: The DP-A100 seems to have qualified at the very bottom of Forbe's "top of the line" turntables list.

The DL-103R would be the perfect backup cart for the DL-A100 that comes with the TT of my (limited) dreams if I ever pick one up as they are basically the same technology. I guess what I am saying is that I am finally satisfied, and I have gotten there relatively cheaply. If you want to get into it on a budget there are some great deals out there on a DP300F as well as the DL-103R. They work well together and keep up with units far more expensive but you would also need a good phono stage. The GCPH sounds great and is pretty versatile but there plenty are less expensive and simpler options out there if you don't need the balanced outputs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back