Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Aug 3, 2011 at 7:09 PM Post #12,361 of 42,298

Quote:
Trip to the turntable doctor on Friday.  Maybe a shorted cable in my tondarm interconnect.

imo the shorter the cable the better. My WW interconnects and Toslink are .5M. My HDMI (1.3 compliant) for audio cable from my Oppo to my Realiser is 1M.

And now for a shameless plug, I will be selling my WA6SE max with the blackgate's, stepped alternater, EML 274B Solid Plate (very rare) along with my 247B mesh plate Princess, and my rare RCA chrome domes along with a choice of one other brand of Drive/Power tubes. Shipping in to boxes.

Aug 3, 2011 at 7:56 PM Post #12,362 of 42,298

Quote:

imo the shorter the cable the better. My WW interconnects and Toslink are .5M. My HDMI (1.3 compliant) for audio cable from my Oppo to my Realiser is 1M.

And now for a shameless plug, I will be selling my WA6SE max with the blackgate's, stepped alternater, EML 274B Solid Plate (very rare) along with my 247B mesh plate Princess, and my rare RCA chrome domes along with a choice of one other brand of Drive/Power tubes. Shipping in to boxes.

WA6SE (M spec) for sale...

(I can hear Dick Enberg all the way from his estate in San Diego... "Oh my!")  I know you take really great care of your gear, sillysally. If only I was better positioned financially. Great that you and other members give this thread a heads-up first!

Aug 3, 2011 at 8:18 PM Post #12,363 of 42,298

Quote:

Man you were up late again, I think that is 6:54 my time! Does that Pioneer drive the headphone port at full power?

Yeah, I could really use more sleep... there is a solution, two actually, but cannot yet afford either. My sessions start so late at night because the AC in the neighborhood (I'm not alone in this regard) is downright dirty! But right around 23:00 hours (or just before Midnight) it gets good. Really good. So, my options are to buy clean power like a conditioner/re-generator (PS Audio?) or one of the new battery powered options (which I really like).

Just think, being able to have a quality listening session after dinner before sunset... (Silent One begins to daydream). The Pioneer and other big vintage amps don't really have (maybe a few?)  separate dedicated headphone amp sections. Rather, they'd slap a resistor on it, which translates into good raw power but tempered some. I'm fortunate in that my 22AWG balanced dual (separate from cup to XLR) cabled Denons excel with both amps.  
wink.gif

Aug 3, 2011 at 8:45 PM Post #12,364 of 42,298
Guys!  I got my r2 LCD-2 headphones today.  They are in the HHD800 league and the leap in sound quality is big compared to r1.  I got the universal cable that ALO makes and one of the extenders is the mini balanced for the Ray Samuels SR71-B headphone amplifier.  I must say that the paring with of the ALO with the SR71-B is really nice even during this pre breakin stage.

Also, the people at ALO say that the LCD-2 headphones need very little breakin which is different from headphones with regular drivers.  It's the cable that is the issue, and that is what is being broken in.  This is did not know and thought I'd pass it along.

Aug 3, 2011 at 8:46 PM Post #12,365 of 42,298

Quote:

SS, the person who buys this from you will be very lucky because of the careful way you keep your gear.

Aug 3, 2011 at 8:46 PM Post #12,366 of 42,298

Quote:
Yeah, I could really use more sleep... there is a solution, two actually, but cannot yet afford either. My sessions start so late at night because the AC in the neighborhood (I'm not alone in this regard) is downright dirty! But right around 23:00 hours (or just before Midnight) it gets good. Really good. So, my options are to buy clean power like a conditioner/re-generator (PS Audio?) or one of the new battery powered options (which I really like).

Just think, being able to have a quality listening session after dinner before sunset... (Silent One begins to daydream). The Pioneer and other big vintage amps don't really have (maybe a few?)  separate dedicated headphone amp sections. Rather, they'd slap a resistor on it, which translates into good raw power but tempered some. I'm fortunate in that my 22AWG balanced dual (separate from cup to XLR) cabled Denons excel with both amps.  
wink.gif

O dark 30.

Aug 3, 2011 at 9:31 PM Post #12,367 of 42,298

Quote:
O dark 30.

Since I'm basically On-call, working around the clock, it's so much easier on the eyes. Just got your really-really BIG News about the LCD2.r2's... exciting!!! If only you had 'em when I left Travis AFB yesterday...
popcorn.gif

Post script:  When I return I'll be sure to avoid my portable drive debacle from last month! 
ph34r.gif

Aug 4, 2011 at 1:06 AM Post #12,368 of 42,298
Need help. I have of course asked several experience headfi people. Last resort is the appreciation thread. I have a Beyer DT770 600 ohm and between the woo3 and woo6, both the lower priced models in the tier, which one would be the best choice for the DT880. I am ready to pull the trigger and just thought I'd get a feedback from the experienced woo owners.  Thank you.

Aug 4, 2011 at 1:08 AM Post #12,369 of 42,298
sorry error. It's a DT880 not 770. Sorry for the my mistake.

Aug 4, 2011 at 2:13 AM Post #12,370 of 42,298

Quote:
Need help. I have of course asked several experience headfi people. Last resort is the appreciation thread. I have a Beyer DT770 600 ohm and between the woo3 and woo6, both the lower priced models in the tier, which one would be the best choice for the DT880. I am ready to pull the trigger and just thought I'd get a feedback from the experienced woo owners.  Thank you.

Greetings Miles Davis2 - love the music preferences! I too, am big on Weather Report but have yet to hear any of Jaco's solo efforts (I will shortly). Hopefully you'll get a reply late night or tomorrow...
beerchug.gif

Aug 4, 2011 at 2:16 AM Post #12,371 of 42,298
The WA6 has an impedance selector, I would try that one for a 600 ohm headphone. The WA3 has a preamp output though if that is important to you.

Aug 4, 2011 at 4:29 AM Post #12,372 of 42,298
Quote: Original posted by SilentOne

(On the solid-state side of my highlights we have The Beatles. I'm not necessarily a fan and whether they recorded 500 tracks or 5,000 I can still count the number of tracks I enjoy of theirs on one hand.)

Hello Silent and thanks for your kind words (but you are always awake 24 hours a day?). I am sorry that you don't like The Beatles but I understand that every man has his musical taste. On a desert island I would surely take the Beatles and the Rolling Stones, the Who, Pink Floyd, Doors, Spirit, Duke Ellington, John Coltrane, Miles, Dizzy, Beethoven, Mozart, Bach, Brahms and another thousand artists!
Do you know that Back in the USSR is one of three Beatles's songs where Paul plays also drums? Their producer (George Martin) has often said that in his opinion Paul was a better drummer that Ringo (One of the worst drummer in the rock field to tell the truth!). If you like Back in the USSR maybe you also will like Revolution, Helter Skelter, I've got a Feeling, Get Back? Nevertheless I also like Jaco and Weather Report! (but I think that Wayne made his best solos with Miles and in his solo Blue Note albums of the sixties).

Aug 4, 2011 at 6:51 AM Post #12,373 of 42,298

Quote:

(On the solid-state side of my highlights we have The Beatles. I'm not necessarily a fan and whether they recorded 500 tracks or 5,000 I can still count the number of tracks I enjoy of theirs on one hand.)

Hello Silent and thanks for your kind words (but you are always awake 24 hours a day?). I am sorry that you don't like The Beatles but I understand that every man has his musical taste. On a desert island I would surely take the Beatles and the Rolling Stones, the Who, Pink Floyd, Doors, Spirit, Duke Ellington, John Coltrane, Miles, Dizzy, Beethoven, Mozart, Bach, Brahms and another thousand artists!
Do you know that Back in the USSR is one of three Beatles's songs where Paul plays also drums? Their producer (George Martin) has often said that in his opinion Paul was a better drummer that Ringo (One of the worst drummer in the rock field to tell the truth!). If you like Back in the USSR maybe you also will like Revolution, Helter Skelter, I've got a Feeling, Get Back? Nevertheless I also like Jaco and Weather Report! (but I think that Wayne made his best solos with Miles and in his solo Blue Note albums of the sixties).

LUMAZ ~

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to be a bit more clear. One thing (perhaps, two things...) I know for sure and that's there is a lot of Beatles fans around the world. And perhaps on head-fi as well. On my account of not being a fan - though true, I was actually expressing myself in a relaxed and playful manner to point out just how good I think the tracks by the group that I do like really are, considering...

I think the Beatles are alright. Same with the Stones, can count the number tracks I like by them on one hand. But the ones that I can are outstanding! Or my cup of tea. 
biggrin.gif
 This is due perhaps, my not being big on Rock, growing up or present day. However, I now listen to more Rock and other genres in the spirit of growth. I exposed myself to other music outside my preferences in the same manner a food critic would do to become better at evaluating food.

Not too many moons ago , I worked in Home Audio (retail), Car Audio (manufacturing) and until recently (7 yrs ago) I owned a small Motoring Accessories boutique in Beverly Hills. All three of these businesses exposed me to far more music than I was previously listening to... growth is a good thing. It really helped me out a lot working at Electronic Trade shows and relating to customers as well.

Thanks LUMAZ, I didn't know the Paul drumming fact. "Revolution", "Helter Skelter", "I've Got A Feelin'", & "Get Back" don't do very much for me. However, "A Hard Day's Night", "Can't Buy Me Love", "I Wanna Hold Your Hand", "Ticket To Ride" & "Back In The USSR" is pretty much it for now. Best Stones tracks inside my listening room? "Sympathy For The Devil." Followed by "Brown Sugar", "Start Me Up", "Gimme Shelter" and "Angie." That's it for the hands, no need to use my toes (just kidding).

Wayne took a lot of heat playing with WR over the years for not soloing more or being more assertive. He's a Buddhist; displayed a lot of grace, as there were some strong personalities involved. What's more, money & fame can create monsters out of artists. I think Wayne handled himself well,  like a Gentleman's musician. And on a deserted island I would strive for a wide variety too!

Yesterday during my extended listening session, I did the entire run of previewing the 30 CD's using my solid-state amp. This is because I knew there would be several interruptions and that the session would last longer than 8 hours. I am careful not to 'Cycle' my Woo on & off unnecessarily. Once I got through it all, the last 6 to 7 hours were dedicated to playing only selected tracks on both tubes & solid-state to see which amp was better suited for the recording. So, I think I may have a chance to get to bed early tonight. Up overnight because I'm revisiting my new finds, so I've got both amps fired up while I consider what's for breakfast in a couple of hours.

Cheers!

Post Script. :  Any photographs coming soon? Share your rig with us here under 'Woo Audio Owner Unite.' 

Aug 4, 2011 at 7:36 AM Post #12,374 of 42,298
Quote: original posted by  SilentOne

My sessions start so late at night because the AC in the neighborhood (I'm not alone in this regard) is downright dirty! But right around 23:00 hours (or just before Midnight) it gets good. Really good. So, my options are to buy clean power like a conditioner/re-generator (PS Audio?) or one of the new battery powered options (which I really like). 

Hi Again SilentOne, you are really a nice person and the only one that he is awake when in Italy it is full day (now it is 1.15 pm)! What kind of problems do you have if you start listenings sessions before 23:00? On my WA22 I have a slight buzz/hum on the left channel that it is non audible when music is playing  but it is audible between a take and the following and sometimes in the last seconds of a song when the music's volume fades. I already have a mains conditioning to clean power that improve tremendously all of my system (in sheer musicality, detail, trasparency, full bodied bass, etc)  but it doesn't eliminate the humming that sometimes is audible also if the WA22 is off! So yesterday afternoon I have gone to my friend's audioshop (if you and other hifiers want to take a look at his shop the link is www.gianfaldoni.com just click on "visita guidata" that is "guided tour" and you can see pictures of his really nice looking shop builded in an old rustic) with my WA22 to try it in another place away from my home, but in his shop there was absolutely no hum, no buzzing, total silence !. He says that my flat is near some EMF so it is not an easy problem to solve. Nevertheless if I switch the impedance selector from HI to LOW the humming goes down about 40%. Go figure!

About Dark Shadows, In Italy (and in all of Europe I guess) this series is no available so it is also impossible to rent the DVD''s (because you are R1 region and in Europe DVD's are R2 region and we are not supposed to buy or watch American region DVD's).

And now go take a nap please!

Aug 4, 2011 at 8:32 AM Post #12,375 of 42,298

Quote:

Helter Skelter "I've got blisters on my fingers" <<RIM SHOT>>. The first time I heard that rim shot at the end of Helter Skelter followed immediately by Long, Long, Long was the moment that made me realize that the sound engineer was solely responsible for putting me on the road to becoming an audiophile. It grabbed by attention and made me truly understand why they mixed recordings the way the did in the first place. I must have played John Lennon's ending shout-out sentence over and over again while I sat exactly between two speakers pointed directly at my ears. I didn't own headphones back then--those were essentially my ear speakers. Listen to that sentence with headphones and you can see why the Beatles were the Beatles, John Lennon was John Lennon and the 60s were the 60s. --Then again maybe you won't see why.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back