Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Jul 24, 2011 at 10:05 PM Post #11,926 of 42,298

Quote:
Hi folks,

Since I'm new here, I want to say hello!
I just bought used WA6 last Saturday. So soon enough, I'm gonna be the proud owner of WA6!!
atsmile.gif

I got the amp + EML 274B pretty cheap from ebay Germany.

Will let you guys know how it sounds with my HD650!

-cs16

Congrats! Do keep us posted. What type of music will you be serving up for the combo?

Jul 24, 2011 at 10:20 PM Post #11,927 of 42,298
Not to come across as a holier than thou, because I'm certainly not without sin, but if you borrow a CD and rip it, that's a violation of copyright law. You are permitted to make an archival / backup copy. You are also allowed to "time shift" (i.e., record from a radio station for later listening). Put differently and more simplistically, if two people can listen to two separate recordings from the same original source, it's probably a copyright violation. Most people don't view it as stealing because the original recording hasn't been taken, but, in fact, it is. You are depriving the artist of revenues that would otherwise be his. Statements like "well, I wouldn't have bought it anyway" don't justify it. So even if you gave away the CDs and kept the originals, it would be a problem.

But Icenine2 raises a good question... if you have a copy of Sgt. Pepper and you want to buy the exact same recording on CD, you should be entitled to a discount (or perhaps free, for an on-line download) since you've already paid for a license. But the laws don't really work like that. Also, if you tried to justify a download of a different recording of the same music, keep in mind that the copyright doesn't just protect the music, but also the mixing, etc... so two different mixes of the same original tracks would have two different copyrights.

It's a tough issue-as WarriorAnt said, "no one will come after you". True in all but the most egregious and easy to track cases. But the prevalence of this attitude has led to a significant downturn in the music industry since 2001, with no end in sight (see http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/22/business/global/22music.html).

You should at least make an effort to support the musicians and labels whose music you enjoy to ensure that new quality music will be available as we have all enjoyed in the past.

...sorry, didn't mean to be too preachy.

Quote:
Here's what I wonder about legalities.  For instance: I've owned Sgt Pepper in 2 vinyl issues, 2 CD issues, the 24 bit files on USB.  At what point haven't I paid the artists rights here?  Even if I sell them and keep one on file?  It seems logical that if I buy an newly remastered version I shouldn't have to pay for the artists rights a second time but should get some sort of trade in upgrade price?  Of course even if it does make some sense it isn't probably the letter of the law.

Quote:
That's actually a very good point. Selling your CDs after ripping them is a violation of copyright law if you keep the ripped music. If you gave away the CD's free, and you kept the receipts from their original purchase, then I'm not sure how that could be an issue. But who keeps receipts like that? Not me. My CD collection is now close to spanning 25 years of my purchases. My LP collection spans almost 35 years. There is no chance whatsoever that I will ever sell the LP's. But I'm pretty much decided on keeping the CD's too. I also kinda like looking at them.

Quote:
Doesn't really matter no one will ever come after you.  

Jul 24, 2011 at 10:21 PM Post #11,928 of 42,298
Just curious what you plan to christen it with...

Quote:
Hi folks,

I just bought used WA6 last Saturday. So soon enough, I'm gonna be the proud owner of WA6!!
atsmile.gif

-cs16

Jul 24, 2011 at 10:33 PM Post #11,929 of 42,298
While awaiting cs16's reply, for my WA6SE's first track I chose "Holidays" - Abraham Laboriel, Sr. (Jazz/1993). It was a good day! Any others remember their Woo's first track? Or were y'all too busy throwing packaging material over your shoulders?! 
biggrin.gif

Jul 24, 2011 at 10:44 PM Post #11,930 of 42,298
Sounds a bit narcissistic, but I christened my WA2 with a piece I wrote/recorded for a class... but the second piece I christened it with was one of the freebie downloads from HDtracks, Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov: The Snow Maiden - Dance of the Tumblers. An amazing piece of music and an equally amazing recording... and to top it off, it was free! Definitely worth a listen.

Quote:
While awaiting cs16's reply, for my WA6SE's first track I chose "Holidays" - Abraham Laboriel, Sr. (Jazz/1993). It was a good day! Any others remember their Woo's first track? Or were y'all too busy throwing packaging material over your shoulders?! 
biggrin.gif

Jul 24, 2011 at 10:46 PM Post #11,931 of 42,298

Quote:
biggrin.gif

Funny you should ask... I do remember! My WA6SE's first track was "Fist of Fire" from Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe. Not the best song in the world, but one I know very well and great for checking bass extension.

I do not remember with my WA2... sorry!

Jul 24, 2011 at 11:23 PM Post #11,932 of 42,298
Well, that's a good question though. Haven't really thought about that.
But I think I'm gonna christen it with one of my Beatles mono remastered track. 

But honestly, I'm surprised that most of you guys still remembered which track you used for the first time.

Jul 25, 2011 at 12:20 AM Post #11,933 of 42,298

Quote:
Well, that's a good question though. Haven't really thought about that.
But I think I'm gonna christen it with one of my Beatles mono remastered track. 

But honestly, I'm surprised that most of you guys still remembered which track you used for the first time.

For me, the Woo Audio 6 Special Edition was no ordinary purchase. It was to be my very first tube amp. I knew the first day would be spent listening to several samples as opposed to complete tracks. I found it very stimulating to put thought into what track would be the first, a special moment indeed. A memory that requires no effort. For two whole months, at idle moments in the day/night, I reviewed potential tracks inside my head with delight.

After the completion of the first track, I felt like an Ant who found itself squarely inside a July picnic! 
biggrin.gif

Jul 25, 2011 at 12:24 AM Post #11,934 of 42,298

Quote:
Hey Mike, how does the W4S ST Preamp SE fit into your system? 

Hey Windy.  I'm still grappling with some digital smearing and was hoping that a preamp would help.  I'm still breaking it in and won't know until the end of the week at the earliest. 

I have speakers in my office, and it would be nice to just switch over to them instead of swapping cables and whatnot.  I'm also planning to bring my vinyl into the picture at some point and so I can have my WA22 plugged into the preamp and then switch to a variety of sources to feed it.

I have another preamp with a phono stage that I really like, but it does not have balanced outputs, the W4S has two pairs of balanced outputs, so one can go to my WA22 and the other to my speaker amp.  It also has two pairs of balanced inputs so I can go truly balanced through with the DAC-2 and whatever phonostage I can snag that has balanced outputs.

So far I like the W4S as it is clean and is a dual passive up from 0 to 63 and active from 64 to 80.  Also, I can set my W4S DAC output level to 60 and then feed the signal to the SE and deal with volume there which is more granular than the WA22.

Jul 25, 2011 at 12:27 AM Post #11,935 of 42,298

Quote:
Hi folks,

atsmile.gif

-cs16

Welcome to the thread, it's a really nice place to hang.  I have an HD650 and I really like it.  In fact I am listening to them right now. 

Jul 25, 2011 at 12:33 AM Post #11,936 of 42,298

Quote:
Funny you should ask... I do remember! My WA6SE's first track was "Fist of Fire" from Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe. Not the best song in the world, but one I know very well and great for checking bass extension.

I do not remember with my WA2... sorry!

I too, selected material I knew very well and checked for bass extension. After all, Abraham is a world-class bassist.  
dt880smile.png
  But I also saw him a couple of times perform live inside an intimate Studio City Jazz club, giving me combined references to draw on. The Woo satisfied...

And curiously, I'm not sure if the elevation of Jim Creek is near mile-high like Denver. But if it is high, can you tell us if there's an advantage or disadvantage when listening to high-end gear at high altitude? Thanks.

Jul 25, 2011 at 12:50 AM Post #11,938 of 42,298

Quote:
I too, selected material I knew very well and checked for bass extension. After all, Abraham is a world-class bassist.  
dt880smile.png
  But I also saw him a couple of times perform live inside an intimate Studio City Jazz club, giving me combined references to draw on. The Woo satisfied...

And curiously, I'm not sure if the elevation of Jim Creek is near mile-high like Denver. But if it is high, can you tell us if there's an advantage or disadvantage when listening to high-end gear at high altitude? Thanks.

I don't know Abraham Laboriel -- thanks very much for pointing me in his direction. Any specific recommendations for beginners (in addition to the album you mention above)?

I live at cool 8500 feet of elevation -- another 2/3 of a mile or so above the Mile High City. The only disadvantage I've noticed with high-end gear at altitude is losing my breath hauling crates of LPs from the mailbox.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Seriously, though, I've not noticed anything out of the ordinary when it comes to the sound quality of speakers or headphones. I do know that wood (like the wood cups of my old HF-2 and current LCD-2) requires special attention, but that's more of a function of humidity than altitude. Were you thinking perhaps of something related to the movement of air through a diaphragm, or maybe lower atmospheric pressure? It's a fascinating idea, one I've never considered.

Jul 25, 2011 at 1:04 AM Post #11,939 of 42,298
^ I think that music sounds a bit sweeter on cool foggy San Francisco nights than on warm and muggy Hawaiian evenings. Ahhhhhh.
wink_face.gif
Then again...

Jul 25, 2011 at 1:06 AM Post #11,940 of 42,298

Quote:
^ I think that music sounds a bit sweeter on cool foggy San Francisco nights than on warm and muggy Hawaiian evenings. Ahhhhhh.
wink_face.gif
Then again...

In my experience, music sounds best when there's a foot of snow on the ground and another foot and a half forecast by morning... to each his own, I guess. 
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back