Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Jul 23, 2011 at 2:23 PM Post #11,896 of 42,298

Quote:
Here's what I wonder about legalities.  For instance: I've owned Sgt Pepper in 2 vinyl issues, 2 CD issues, the 24 bit files on USB.  At what point haven't I paid the artists rights here?  Even if I sell them and keep one on file?  It seems logical that if I buy an newly remastered version I shouldn't have to pay for the artists rights a second time but should get some sort of trade in upgrade price?  Of course even if it does make some sense it isn't probably the letter of the law.

Doesn't really matter no one will ever come after you.  

Jul 23, 2011 at 2:33 PM Post #11,897 of 42,298
What I really want is a rip of the whole Led Zep catalog from the 45 rpm catalog box. It is supposed to be the best LZ available.  Super expensive, just check eBay.  Too bad you can't get the rips legally somehow.  I've got the Japanese mini lp SHM's of Zep and they are the best sounding to me next to vinyl.

Jul 23, 2011 at 2:45 PM Post #11,898 of 42,298

+
Quote:
 First off. Furniture is way over rated. About the marriage thing, set the audiophile rules NOW, right from the start. These rules will include the speakers go in the living room. There will be cables on the floor.  There will be a rack of gear... You get the idea

Thirdly NEVER tell your wife how much something costs.  Ever.  I've known my wife for 25 years and I've never told her how much anything costs.  I've seen plenty of guys fall by the wayside making that mistake.    It is a fatal mistake. Don't do it.
evil_smiley.gif

Jul 23, 2011 at 2:54 PM Post #11,899 of 42,298
@Vinylip, Silent One, Warriorant.. thanks for the congrats..

Thank you for the lesson on keeping the price of my gear hidden. Couple of years ago I wouldn't understand why one would pay so such for a headphone amp myself. I didn't even know what a DAC was.

I will read up on Emotiva Audio, thanks, I still have some time to decide...

Quote:
My good friend has your same set up: WA6SE/Sophia/K702 and just bought a really sweet DAC from Emotiva Audio.

No doubt the Musical Fidelity are really good pieces, but I think that you will find the XDA-1 benefits from its much larger power supply, discrete analog output stage and more substantial build quality. And since it has direct USB in you eliminate the need for a SPDIF cable which results in a shorter signal path and additional cost savings.

Check it out, for $399 with free shipping it really is a steal and worthy of being paired with a Woo.

http://emotiva.com/xda1.shtm

Also many congratulations on your impending nuptials!

Jul 23, 2011 at 4:29 PM Post #11,901 of 42,298
Wet-vacuum cleaning makes an enormous difference in the quietness of records. To the point where if someone owned a $200 cartridge, and had $500 to spend, I would recommend the VPI over buying a $500 cartridge, any day of the week.

Jul 23, 2011 at 4:42 PM Post #11,902 of 42,298
When I was into vinyl I had a VPI 16.5, liquid cleaner, a record brush and a Discwasher anti-static gun. I would place the record on the VPI, turn it on, apply the liquid cleaner, brush, turn on the vacuum. I would even do this twice/side to deep clean the record. Then use the anti-static gun after.

Jul 23, 2011 at 5:53 PM Post #11,904 of 42,298
The 16.5 rocks. A friend is borrowing mine for digitizing his out-of-print African beat music for free dissemination online:

rhythmconnection.org
rhythmconnection.blogspot.com

Just click on enjoy for the downloads if you're interested. His latest offering is particularly relevant as he has named his first born Nico.

The rips sound pretty good considering he is using CAT5 cable into the ADC (mic input) of his iMac. I tried to convince him that he needs an unobtanioum-plated cable and a firewire studio-quality ADC, along with the audiophile ripping program Pure Vinyl as opposed to the free Audacity program but he just laughed at me (he's an old radio guy).
devil_face.gif

Jul 23, 2011 at 6:20 PM Post #11,905 of 42,298

Quote:
The 16.5 rocks. A friend is borrowing mine for digitizing his out-of-print African beat music for free dissemination online:

rhythmconnection.org
rhythmconnection.blogspot.com

Just click on enjoy for the downloads if you're interested. His latest offering is particularly relevant as he has named his first born Nico.

The rips sound pretty good considering he is using CAT5 cable into the ADC (mic input) of his iMac. I tried to convince him that he needs an unobtanioum-plated cable and a firewire studio-quality ADC, along with the audiophile ripping program Pure Vinyl as opposed to the free Audacity program but he just laughed at me (he's an old radio guy).
devil_face.gif

Contribution ~

Thanks for sharing. The Continent drives my music library...

beerchug.gif

When I saw your friend's link to Stern's Music, it warmed me like no other... still grinnin'! I use to buy my Stern's Music CD's from VirginMega Store on the Sunset Strip, L.A. Prior to that, I had to have them 'Aired' from Stern's NY/London music stores. Being an Old Radio Guy has he auditioned your Woo? 

Jul 23, 2011 at 7:32 PM Post #11,907 of 42,298

"I loved vinyl. There is no argument about the seductive, lucid, holographic sound of vinyl from me. I had a large collection that started with my first album "Meet The Beatles" in 1964. I was 8. But there was one thing I never could get used to and it really made me crazy. Groove noise. I always hated groove noise. No matter how good the condition of the vinyl, no matter how well engineered the table/tone arm/cartridge I just couldn't stand groove noise. Even today when music is intentionally mixed with groove noise as an effect I discard the track immediately. So a while back I gave all my vinyl away to a friend who isn't audiophile and doesn't have the money to collect CD's. The vinyl was just sitting in boxes for years now. I gave him a turntable also. He turned me on to Coltrane long ago so it was the least I could do. I kept that Beatles vinyl though. I only have the record now after all these years no album cover.

As for my CD collection. all is does is collect dust. The only time I look at it is when I dust it off. I'll keep all the Jazz on the Impulse label and Blue note stuff. Everything else is gonna go."

@ WarriorAnt

After having decent but not great turntables from the early 1970s until 2009. The second biggest change after a good cleaning with a VPI machine is the turntable. A good turntable will reduce the level of surface noise by letting the needle get down into the vinyl groove information and track. I noted a 50% or better reduction in surface noise with a good turntable. To tell you the truth it was almost hard to believe the change in how quiet my old records became! The sound of the needle contact surface noise is still there but can be reduced. The amazing thing is the reduction of pops as the needle is farther into the groove. The sound pulled out of the groove may be louder than the artifacts produced by imperfect records. The change in the relationship makes the records sound clearer and redirects you focus from the surface noise and pops.

Jul 23, 2011 at 7:42 PM Post #11,908 of 42,298

What amp is your friend using, and is there a preamp involved? I'm asking because I tried an XDA-1 and sent it back when it wouldn't give me a decent line voltage level into my amp. From what I read in another forum the earliest models were too hot, and mine was from the second batch where they must have overcompensated. The current specs say "Nominal Output Voltage: 1V RMS", most sources are twice that.

My feeling is that it would be good into an Emotiva or perhaps another preamp but not so good straight into a headphone or power amp. I have tried two other DACs, one of them balanced into that same amp without issue. I tried the XDA-1 in both SE and balanced mode into that amp and neither was up to the task. Also it only has attenuated mode, no option for fixed output.

I called them after I sent it back, and they said that they checked it out and it was working correctly. It was an interesting experience because after reading the initial reviews I was concerned that it would be too loud but it turned out to be quite the opposite.

It was disappointing, as from what I had read it sounds very good for the price in the right setup, plus it looks ubercool and has a nice remote control. Also it takes up a LOT of real estate, about 17" square with the cables coming out of the back.

Makes me wonder if he has an earlier model, it is going direct to a WA6SE and there seems to be plenty of drive and gain using 6EW7's.

You are correct that the 1V output is half of what is typically encountered, I wonder what the reasoning is there?

Now if one was to run this through a tube buffer then to the amp, that should add a bit more gain and even better sound.

Jul 23, 2011 at 9:06 PM Post #11,909 of 42,298

Quote:
After having decent but not great turntables from the early 1970s until 2009. The second biggest change after a good cleaning with a VPI machine is the turntable. A good turntable will reduce the level of surface noise by letting the needle get down into the vinyl groove information and track. I noted a 50% or better reduction in surface noise with a good turntable. To tell you the truth it was almost hard to believe the change in how quiet my old records became! The sound of the needle contact surface noise is still there but can be reduced. The amazing thing is the reduction of pops as the needle is farther into the groove. The sound pulled out of the groove may be louder than the artifacts produced by imperfect records. The change in the relationship makes the records sound clearer and redirects you focus from the surface noise and pops.

I've had a Sota Star and a VPI table.  A long time ago. Like 1989. 1990.  I cannot remember what tone arms.  I had one cartridge called a "Grasshopper".  Its the only one I can remember because it had such a cool name.   A very well engineered table/arms/cartridge is the only way to go.  It is amazing how much engineering it takes to get the most out of those grooves.  I just remembered I used a Conrad Johnson preamp and an Audio Research SP8 and an SP10 for the phone stages.  Wish I still had that SP 10.

I just spent a few hours oneBay looking at used CD prices and realized it's not even worth the trouble to sell them unless one get get a lump sum for an entire collection.

Jul 23, 2011 at 10:14 PM Post #11,910 of 42,298
My HPs lately had some weired sound, even when music paused, there is still some electronic noise come through the right sometimes, is there something I need to pay attention to?? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back