Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Jul 21, 2011 at 3:04 PM Post #11,836 of 42,298
Just got my Cavalli Liquid Fire today!  I'll report back when I put on another 100 hours.  It is a beauty!

Jul 21, 2011 at 3:11 PM Post #11,837 of 42,298

Quote:
Just got my Cavalli Liquid Fire today!  I'll report back when I put on another 100 hours.  It is a beauty!

Great! But digital cameras allow for uploading much sooner than that.  
popcorn.gif
  Congrats on both your purchase and patience. 

Jul 21, 2011 at 5:38 PM Post #11,838 of 42,298

Was that a Theta at the bottom? lol

Any way dose anyone has the DAC-2 use it with a CD-tranport? 

Any idea in regard of upsample on the red-book? 
Quote:
My Woo WES arrived just after I left the US on a 3.5-week trip. Oh the agony. But now the pain is over and the pleasure has begun. Right out of the box, it and the SR-007s sound wonderful. The DAC-2 seems like a perfect match. I went to the California Audio Show today, though, and heard the DaVinci 384kHz DAC, and it was fabulous. A tad spendy, though.....

Jul 21, 2011 at 5:53 PM Post #11,839 of 42,298

Quote:

In addressing question two, are you satisfied with the results of your modded output front-end to DAC? In what configuration was the output modded? In response to question three, is the DAC's converter handling the 44.1 files properly (88.2-96-176.4-192kHz)? 

Jul 21, 2011 at 6:54 PM Post #11,840 of 42,298

Woo-tastic Wednesday ~

For some in this thread, Wednesday is Hump Day. For me, yesterday was anything but... it was Woo-tastic! I had the pleasure of meeting with shipsupt in the evening, mikemalter later at night. I have a wacky travel schedule - I get out whenever I get out, it's that simple. Yet, both were very accommodating and I was well received - true gentlemen and outstanding head-fier's.

People first. While shipsupt is nearly my neighbor when in NorCal, after meeting with him just over an hour, I am convinced he's a neighbor I'd enjoy having - a great guy first who happens to be a head-fier and Woo mate (found mikemalter to be a great guy & Woo mate as well). I regret not arriving earlier, as we met 40 minutes before Library Closing.

10 minutes before our scheduled meeting time, shipsupt found me kneeling, reaching, searching CD's like a mad man who knows he's still got time! I was stalking Starker (Janos Starker)! Couldn't find him, so I bagged the likes of Maria Callas, Mingus, MA, Chopin, Ellington and so on... Until a jarring text caused me to stop. It read "Look to your right..." and that was the start of a great meeting! shipsupt tapped me as custodian of his LCD-2's and HE-5LE's for the next two weeks - I am grateful. 

Upon the conclusion of that meeting, mikemalter reached me by mobile and after discussing the possibilities of our own meeting, we decided on an impromptu meeting right then and there. I'm almost certain I was seen speeding by the CHP on my way there, perhaps they had more important matters to deal with (whew!)

Upon entering mikemalter's listening room, I knew I was in for a wonderful session even before I sat down, when I overheard a couple of his guests:

Our original meeting scheduled in a few weeks called for me to bring my Mac mini music server, Bridge, DAC and D7000's (the kit & kaboodle?). Our advanced encounter only saw me armed with my cans and portable drive. But it was still an honor and delight to be inside his listening room, where I enjoyed hearing his new gear on display.

It was a grand night out... here's to you, shipsupt & mikemalter. 
beerchug.gif

Jul 21, 2011 at 7:13 PM Post #11,841 of 42,298

Quote:

Woo-tastic Wednesday ~

For some in this thread, Wednesday is Hump Day. For me, yesterday was anything but... it was Woo-tastic! I had the pleasure of meeting with shipsupt in the evening, mikemalter later at night. I have a wacky travel schedule - I get out whenever I get out, it's that simple. Yet, both were very accommodating and I was well received - true gentlemen and outstanding head-fier's.

People first. While shipsupt is nearly my neighbor when in NorCal, after meeting with him just over an hour, I am convinced he's a neighbor I'd enjoy having - a great guy first who happens to be a head-fier and Woo mate (found mikemalter to be a great guy & Woo mate as well). I regret not arriving earlier, as we met 40 minutes before Library Closing.

10 minutes before our scheduled meeting time, shipsupt found me kneeling, reaching, searching CD's like a mad man who knows he's still got time! I was stalking Starker (Janos Starker)! Couldn't find him, so I bagged the likes of Maria Callas, Mingus, MA, Chopin, Ellington and so on... Until a jarring text caused me to stop. It read "Look to your right..." and that was the start of a great meeting! shipsupt tapped me as custodian of his LCD-2's and HE-5LE's for the next two weeks - I am grateful. 

Upon the conclusion of that meeting, mikemalter reached me by mobile and after discussing the possibilities of our own meeting, we decided on an impromptu meeting right then and there. I'm almost certain I was seen speeding by the CHP on my way there, perhaps they had more important matters to deal with (whew!)

Upon entering mikemalter's listening room, I knew I was in for a wonderful session even before I sat down, when I overheard a couple of his guests:

Our original meeting scheduled in a few weeks called for me to bring my Mac mini music server, Bridge, DAC and D7000's (the kit & kaboodle?). Our advanced encounter only saw me armed with my cans and portable drive. But it was still an honor and delight to be inside his listening room, where I enjoyed hearing his new gear on display.

It was a grand night out... here's to you, shipsupt & mikemalter. 
beerchug.gif

The pleasure was truly mine, SilentOne.  As I told you last night, I have named my audio equipment area after you because it was your visit that caused it's cleanup and organization.  I really liked listening to your Denon's.  They sounded really great.  Looking forward to your next visit.

Jul 21, 2011 at 8:33 PM Post #11,842 of 42,298

Quote:
In addressing question two, are you satisfied with the results of your modded output front-end to DAC? In what configuration was the output modded? In response to question three, is the DAC's converter handling the 44.1 files properly (88.2-96-176.4-192kHz)? 

The theta i had is not moded , the sacd is moded with I2U output to the dac-2 
the dac handles it no problem, it's just i heard the upsampler can improves the transport quite a bit. Although as a upsampler dac, the dac-2 only runs at 44.1k when use with cd transport. 
I wonder any way can make the dac-2 run at higher sample rate. Since I've seen a lot dac-2 owner here, i wonder if someone can help : )

Jul 21, 2011 at 8:40 PM Post #11,843 of 42,298

Quote:
The pleasure was truly mine, SilentOne.  As I told you last night, I have named my audio equipment area after you because it was your visit that caused it's cleanup and organization.  I really liked listening to your Denon's.  They sounded really great.  Looking forward to your next visit.

We are at once honored and humbled. Thanks for your kind words. While Clayton SF gave me my very first WA22 audition with my D5000's SE, your WA22 was my first 'balanced' initiation with the D7000's - loved 'em both! Jack's sales job with the '22' is so easy, we should get a discount - hear one, want one, buy one! In fact, what's his Twitter addy again?!  
biggrin.gif
 That yours is black made the lusting worse.

In addition to the WA22 your new portable rig impressed. Which reminds me, I'll have a quick look at my portable charger (Black & Decker) before closing this post. Your Bryston setup reminds me of cake batter. In that a quick swipe of the finger indicates a wonderful mix of ingredients and flavor. But the best is to be had when it's finished - when I return I'll find a glorious slice of that cake, no doubt. It sounds very promising but it is early. I did, however, carry Astrud Gilberto & Ramsey Lewis with me well into the night, deliciously so...

Currently contemplating what I might would like for dinner and sampling your tea. I almost got caught off guard without a strainer around. I'm so use to my Gaiwans. But I just happen to have a tea cup used for my African Red Teas & black teas. Your tea is reminiscent of the Indian Estate teas I'd often sip on the corner of Gayley & Weyburn (Westwood Village). Nice bouquet and finish. Tomorrow, I'll see how it does iced & sweetened, Southern style. 

The MyPocketCharger comes with either tips for mobiles or iPods...

4ab7ee5e9752a_107000b.jpg

Jul 21, 2011 at 8:51 PM Post #11,844 of 42,298

Quote:
The theta i had is not moded , the sacd is moded with I2U output to the dac-2 
the dac handles it no problem, it's just i heard the upsampler can improves the transport quite a bit. Although as a upsampler dac, the dac-2 only runs at 44.1k when use with cd transport. 
I wonder any way can make the dac-2 run at higher sample rate. Since I've seen a lot dac-2 owner here, i wonder if someone can help : )

Did you send your sacd player to Wyred4Sound for the i2s custom mod? The W4S DAC-2 does not use a typical design for i2s input - they stress modifying your front-end for compatibility. 
popcorn.gif

Jul 21, 2011 at 8:59 PM Post #11,845 of 42,298

Quote:
Did you send your sacd player to Wyred4Sound for the i2s custom mod? The W4S DAC-2 does not use a typical design for i2s input - they stress modifying your front-end for compatibility. 
popcorn.gif

what do you mean? 

Jul 21, 2011 at 9:13 PM Post #11,846 of 42,298

Quote:
what do you mean? 

You modded your sacd player's output or had it done, yes? Did the mod include adapting the unit because it did not have an i2s interface to begin with? Or you in fact modded the existing i2s interface to be compatible with the W4S DAC-2? As I understand it (from listening to Wyred4Sound), the DAC-2 has a fully balanced architecture; standard i2s output from a front-end won't work or work as intended without modification for the DAC-2.

Jul 21, 2011 at 11:13 PM Post #11,847 of 42,298
It is indeed a Theta David II. It was languishing in my home theater, replaced by a $200 Blu-ray player. So I drafted it for very occasional CD listening. I barely use it; all my music is now from a Macbook running Pure Music, or a PC running J River. Both of those applications do upsampling. The DAC-2 does not, so CDs played on the Theta get to and through the DAC-2 at 16 bits, 44.1kHz.

Quote:

Jul 21, 2011 at 11:29 PM Post #11,848 of 42,298
I'm wondering if a Bridge could help BrucYSN. Depending on input options for the bridge, if accepted you'd be able to do full 176.4/192 kHz. Search and see what's available...

Jul 21, 2011 at 11:35 PM Post #11,849 of 42,298

Quote:
It is indeed a Theta David II. It was languishing in my home theater, replaced by a $200 Blu-ray player. So I drafted it for very occasional CD listening. I barely use it; all my music is now from a Macbook running Pure Music, or a PC running J River. Both of those applications do upsampling. The DAC-2 does not, so CDs played on the Theta get to and through the DAC-2 at 16 bits, 44.1kHz.

I sold my Theta transport back in March.  I rarely use CD's anymore.  In fact I'm thinking about selling off my entire collection sans Coltrane.

Jul 21, 2011 at 11:49 PM Post #11,850 of 42,298
I'll post up the pics tomorrow!

Quote:
Great! But digital cameras allow for uploading much sooner than that.  
popcorn.gif
  Congrats on both your purchase and patience. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back