Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Jul 20, 2011 at 1:19 AM Post #11,806 of 42,298

Quote:
WA2 question.  I set a budget ceiling of 1K for a tube amp and the WA2 fits in there, not counting the cost of tube rolling.

I have an idea of what I want in a tube amp and am wondering if the WA2 has those qualities.  I'm looking for the cliche "tube" sound and presentation in a tube amp.  Classic tube euphonics is ok.  I want that 3D liquid roundish sound.  The lush tube midrange magic. A sound that definitely is tubes and not something that can be compared to or said to be nearing the solid state domain.  midrange liquid magic.  I know some of this will vary according to what tubes will be rolled in and out of the WA2 but in general I'm looking for this sort of experience. I'm wondering if the WA2 fits the bill and if it will pair with my LCD-2's.

Great question. IMO, the WA2 offers the closest thing I've found to the "classic tube euphonic" presentation while still being able to push relatively difficult cans like the LCD-2. Other more euphonic amps I've tried include the Mapletree Ear+ HD (not enough power for the LCD-2), Mapletree Super II (better with the LCD-2, but still not in the WA2's league, and slightly less tube-like than the Ear+ HD), and the Opera Consonance Cyber 20 (sold long before I got the LCD-2s, but not a remarkably powerful amp). By comparison, the Schiit Lyr has, IMO, a much more SS-like sound signature, though I admittedly only rolled three or four pairs of mid-quality tubes into the Lyr while I owned it.

Outfitted with proper tubes (my favorites for tube warmth are WE421a/Tung-Sol 5998), the WA2 certainly exhibits what I'd consider to be "that 3D liquid roundish sound." I don't think you'd be disappointed.

Jul 20, 2011 at 9:47 AM Post #11,807 of 42,298

Quote:
When I'm on the road, iPod/iPhone/iPad/Macbook with ALAC CD rips->iTunes/Pure Music->Headroom Total BitHead->Etymotic/Klipsch IEMs. The Total BitHead is the limiting factor here, so I'm thinking about other small portable amps. I fly 250k miles a year and never check luggage, so size and weight are really important.

When I'm in Switzerland, I have evening/weekend access to our company's main listening room, which is about the highest-end speaker-based system you can imagine, so that's a real treat. The problem now is that I want Verity Audio Lohengrin speakers at home, and they're quite pricey at $80k.....never mind the $100k or so in source/preamps/amps. The good news is that a headphone system for less than a tenth the price sounds almost as good, and better in some cases.

I don't travel as much as you do but take a look at iPod Nano/Pico Slim/JH13 or JH16, it is the best travel system I tried.  I did tried to go with the Solo/balanced amp/JH13 but they are too bulky (especially at Heathrow, the last thing you want is they confiscate it) when you only have carry on.  Most of the time when you are on the transit, it is too noisy to enjoy music with non noise isolation IEM.

My travel rig

Jul 20, 2011 at 10:06 AM Post #11,808 of 42,298

Quote:

Great question. IMO, the WA2 offers the closest thing I've found to the "classic tube euphonic" presentation while still being able to push relatively difficult cans like the LCD-2. Other more euphonic amps I've tried include the Mapletree Ear+ HD (not enough power for the LCD-2), Mapletree Super II (better with the LCD-2, but still not in the WA2's league, and slightly less tube-like than the Ear+ HD), and the Opera Consonance Cyber 20 (sold long before I got the LCD-2s, but not a remarkably powerful amp). By comparison, the Schiit Lyr has, IMO, a much more SS-like sound signature, though I admittedly only rolled three or four pairs of mid-quality tubes into the Lyr while I owned it.

Outfitted with proper tubes (my favorites for tube warmth are WE421a/Tung-Sol 5998), the WA2 certainly exhibits what I'd consider to be "that 3D liquid roundish sound." I don't think you'd be disappointed.

Thanks,  I'm closer.  Can't wait for summers end...

On the used market is there a revision history for the WA2 or have they been pretty much the same.

Jul 20, 2011 at 11:29 AM Post #11,809 of 42,298

Quote:

On the used market is there a revision history for the WA2 or have they been pretty much the same.

I know there have been different iterations of the WA2 over the years... in fact, one of the sub-headlines on Jack's home page right now reads: "The latest WA2 offers greater driving power for headphone and preamp outputs." This implies that there are lesser-powered versions out there. I'd imagine Jack could provide detailed information, along with serial numbers related to changes in design.

My WA2 has the now-unavailable premium parts upgrades -- I can't say how much upgrades like Black Gate caps and the like add, as it's the only WA2 I've ever heard, but I do very much like the stepped attenuator.

Ben

Jul 20, 2011 at 11:33 AM Post #11,810 of 42,298

Quote:

The early WA2 used a 6x4 rectifier and the current WA2 uses the EZ80 or EZ81 (6V4 or 6CA4 rectifier). Also the earlier WA2's volume knob is on the left when facing the faceplate; current WA2's volume knob is on the right. Here are photos of my WA2 purchased in early 2010 which uses the EZ80 rectifier. I've only heard my WA2.

The black WA2 internals is from Woo Audio's website (presumably stock) -- The silver WA2 internals (with Black Gate upgrades and stepped attenuator upgrade) is my WA2 from 2010:

Jul 20, 2011 at 11:33 AM Post #11,811 of 42,298

Quote:

Great question. IMO, the WA2 offers the closest thing I've found to the "classic tube euphonic" presentation while still being able to push relatively difficult cans like the LCD-2.  (snip)

I agree 100% with that.  If anything the WA22 is a little tubier, but it's out of your price range, and overkill anyway unless you plan to go balanced.

Jul 20, 2011 at 11:43 AM Post #11,812 of 42,298

Quote:
The early WA2 used a 6x4 rectifier and the current WA2 uses the EZ80 or EZ81 (6V4 or 6CA4 rectifier). Also the earlier WA2's volume knob is on the left when facing the faceplate; current WA2's volume knob is on the right. Here are photos of my WA2 purchased in early 2010 which uses the EZ80 rectifier. I've only heard my WA2.

The black WA2 internals is from Woo Audio's website (presumably stock) -- The silver WA2 internals (with Black Gate upgrades and stepped attenuator upgrade) is my WA2 from 2010:

That is an interesting change in the bottom circuit from 2 to 4 caps. I'm assuming that is the resistor/ cap improvement in the rectifier circuitry (unless in the left photo there are two caps hidden under the board).   Thanks for posting that.

Jul 20, 2011 at 11:45 AM Post #11,813 of 42,298

Quote:
I know there have been different iterations of the WA2 over the years... in fact, one of the sub-headlines on Jack's home page right now reads: "The latest WA2 offers greater driving power for headphone and preamp outputs." This implies that there are lesser-powered versions out there. I'd imagine Jack could provide detailed information, along with serial numbers related to changes in design.

My WA2 has the now-unavailable premium parts upgrades -- I can't say how much upgrades like Black Gate caps and the like add, as it's the only WA2 I've ever heard, but I do very much like the stepped attenuator.

Ben

I'm a big believer in quality caps.  Do the black Gates come standard now?

Jul 20, 2011 at 12:28 PM Post #11,814 of 42,298

Quote:

I don't travel as much as you do but take a look at iPod Nano/Pico Slim/JH13 or JH16, it is the best travel system I tried.  I did tried to go with the Solo/balanced amp/JH13 but they are too bulky (especially at Heathrow, the last thing you want is they confiscate it) when you only have carry on.  Most of the time when you are on the transit, it is too noisy to enjoy music with non noise isolation IEM.

My travel rig

JC, your rig looks really nice.  How do you like the moulded headphones?  How do they compare to the HD800's?

This Heathrow thing has me worried.  Do they really confiscate audio gear?

Jul 20, 2011 at 12:28 PM Post #11,815 of 42,298
Jul 20, 2011 at 12:56 PM Post #11,816 of 42,298

Quote:
JC, your rig looks really nice.  How do you like the moulded headphones?  How do they compare to the HD800's?

This Heathrow thing has me worried.  Do they really confiscate audio gear?

They don't unless you have all the home made cables hanging around and exposed circuit board. 

JH13 is not as natural and airy as HD800 but it is as close as you can get.  Once you have seal in your ear, you will be surprise how good they are.  It is much more fun than HD800 and I do use it on my WA22 all the time if I want to block out noise when I work from home.

Jul 20, 2011 at 2:01 PM Post #11,817 of 42,298

I've travel through Heathrow extensively, and worldwide for that matter.  I've carried plenty of electronics, portable rigs, exposed circuit boards, and lots of cables dangling around...  The only thing I've ever had to do is play music or operate the electronics for airport security.  I've never seen confiscation of legitimate gear of any kind.  

Follow the rules, be patient and courteous, and airport security is a breeze.  Lines etc... can be frustrating, especially in a big airport like Heathrow, but there is a lot of hype out there generated by the media that makes travelers unnecessarily nervous.

That's my experience anyway... Ymmv...

Quote:

They don't unless you have all the home made cables hanging around and exposed circuit board. 

JH13 is not as natural and airy as HD800 but it is as close as you can get.  Once you have seal in your ear, you will be surprise how good they are.  It is much more fun than HD800 and I do use it on my WA22 all the time if I want to block out noise when I work from home.

Jul 20, 2011 at 2:10 PM Post #11,818 of 42,298

Quote:
I've travel through Heathrow extensively, and worldwide for that matter.  I've carried plenty of electronics, portable rigs, exposed circuit boards, and lots of cables dangling around...  The only thing I've ever had to do is play music or operate the electronics for airport security.  I've never seen confiscation of legitimate gear of any kind.  

Follow the rules, be patient and courteous, and airport security is a breeze.  Lines etc... can be frustrating, especially in a big airport like Heathrow, but there is a lot of hype out there generated by the media that makes travelers unnecessarily nervous.

I went through Heathrow once just before 9/11 and one of the agents profiled me.  I didn't realize what he was doing at the time, but later when I heard about profiling I realized that his direct and sudden change of conversation and tone to ask me what I was doing there stressed me and I felt kind of goofy the way I reacted.  I think that they are trained in pushing your buttons a bit to see how you react to determine the need for further screening.

Glad to know that I don't have to worry about audio gear.  Thanks.

Jul 20, 2011 at 2:14 PM Post #11,819 of 42,298

Quote:

I am leaving for The Netherlands in about 3 weeks. I want to show my Dutch friends my Woo. I wonder if I can tuck a WA6 under my arm and breeze through security if I tell them what it is and show them Jack's manual.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back