Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Jul 22, 2011 at 12:44 AM Post #11,853 of 42,298

Quote:
Do you have your collection of artists / titles in spreadsheet form by chance? 

I wish!  But thats a good idea.  First I'll have to learn how to make a spread sheet I guess. 
smile.gif

Jul 22, 2011 at 1:30 AM Post #11,854 of 42,298

Quote:
I wish!  But thats a good idea.  First I'll have to learn how to make a spread sheet I guess. 
smile.gif

I had long thought that would be a good idea. It really wasn't laziness that got in my way, just good music!
dt880smile.png
 But when sphinvc went through his ordeal losing his data; library, I thought I'd better get movin'. I do back up my stuff. However, I had a bad experience with reformatting my hard drive (Windows) and re-importing my backup via Norton. With restoration 99% complete, a crash! The headers on my encrypted drive and keys on the new drive got corrupted. Data recovery was too expensive an option. Maybe mirrored drives are in my future, there seems to be no affordable guarantees.

The least I could do is have record of what I have in the event of failure. I'm thinking of maybe Google docs or Evernote. This would also allow a few members here to have a look into my library and perhaps, getting exposed to something new. 

Anyway, perhaps you could PM me with the genres that dominate your collection to simplify...

Jul 22, 2011 at 5:06 AM Post #11,855 of 42,298

Quote:
It is indeed a Theta David II. It was languishing in my home theater, replaced by a $200 Blu-ray player. So I drafted it for very occasional CD listening. I barely use it; all my music is now from a Macbook running Pure Music, or a PC running J River. Both of those applications do upsampling. The DAC-2 does not, so CDs played on the Theta get to and through the DAC-2 at 16 bits, 44.1kHz.

/cough, wanna sell it? 

Jul 22, 2011 at 9:27 AM Post #11,856 of 42,298
I'm not getting rid of my CDs for that exact reason. I hardly ever play them, but they serve as a very effective backup library.

Jul 22, 2011 at 12:10 PM Post #11,857 of 42,298

Quote:
I sold my Theta transport back in March.  I rarely use CD's anymore.  In fact I'm thinking about selling off my entire collection sans Coltrane.

I keep my CD's as backup.  I remember the day I GAVE away my entire vinyl collection because I thought I'd never need it again.  Sigh.  Never do that again.

Jul 22, 2011 at 1:12 PM Post #11,859 of 42,298
^ It is beautiful!

Thank YOU for the picture. It is certainly worth three thousand dollars a thousand words.

and....

I'm ordering one this weekend for my WooCavalli Room; and
hopefully in time for the second run.

Jul 22, 2011 at 1:19 PM Post #11,860 of 42,298

Quote:
^ It is beautiful!

Thank YOU for the picture. It is certainly worth three thousand dollars a thousand words.

and....

they should schedule the next nor cal meet for Clayton's place. no one would have to bring anything. 

Jul 22, 2011 at 1:40 PM Post #11,861 of 42,298

Quote:
they should schedule the next nor cal meet for Clayton's place. no one would have to bring anything. 

Okay. Then again, maybe I'll wait a bit. I got a little too enthusiastic (I am easily mesmerized by things black or silver, red, and shiny--and glowing).

If I do hold a meet it will have to be limited to about 4 people and you'll have to bring your own source, chair, and headphones because although I may have a lot of amps, I don't own very many headphones, sources, or furniture.
biggrin.gif

Jul 22, 2011 at 1:59 PM Post #11,862 of 42,298
Thanks, but no. I know that I'll regret it eventually, and it IS useful to listen to a CD that someone brings over for a listening session. It's a fully-depreciated asset at this point.....

Quote:
/cough, wanna sell it? 

Jul 22, 2011 at 2:10 PM Post #11,863 of 42,298
Backups are a pain, but, like insurance, vital when you need them. As a computer user since 1970 (yes, 41 years), I've learned the value of backups. And a backup that isn't validated and tested from time to time is not reliable.

For those of us who rip our CDs and listen to them via computer, backups are relatively easy, because we already did the time-consuming part. Hard drives are dirt cheap, and even uncompressed CD rips are small, e.g. over 3000 CDs on a cheapo 2TB drive, twice that number if you use FLAC/ALAC. You can test the backup occasionally by running a hash (CRC, SHA-1) check between the backup and main drives overnight. Free encryption software, such as Truecrypt, keeps your data safe from theft. Offsite backups are important, too: a burglary, fire or other disaster is lessened if you don't lose all of your data. Your office, a relative's house, etc can work well. I spend 2-3 hours per month on data maintenance and backup, so it's not a completely trivial exercise, but worth it. Online backups are a possibility, too, although very demanding of bandwidth if you have a lot of music, video and photos.

Some things are hard, though: you can't back up vinyl. I, too, wish that I'd kept all of my vinyl records.....

Quote:
I keep my CD's as backup.  I remember the day I GAVE away my entire vinyl collection because I thought I'd never need it again.  Sigh.  Never do that again.

Jul 22, 2011 at 2:31 PM Post #11,864 of 42,298

Quote:
mikemalter said:

Quote:
Some things are hard, though: you can't back up vinyl. I, too, wish that I'd kept all of my vinyl records.....

When I was a teenager I worked for a record store called Records Hawaii. It was started by 3 former Tower Records employees from Los Angeles. Records Hawaii was huge and located in a former warehouse. I worked there off and on for about 6 years. During that time I bought and collected about 1,000+ records. I even had a box of the Beatles White Album (20 of them) that I gave away as Christmas gifts. Records cost me about $2.16. I think the Beatles White LP cost me about $7. Later, when CDs became part of my music collection in 1983, I gave away or threw away all of my vinyl because when CDs took off no one wanted my vinyl and used record stores didn't really exist in my area. Now I find out that my sister had rescued about 500 of them and they are stored in boxes in her garage in Waikoloa, Hawaii. I've been trying to get her to mail them to me but to no avail. I don't have the room anyway so it is just as well they remain in storage at her place. Sigh, too.

Jul 22, 2011 at 2:33 PM Post #11,865 of 42,298

Quote:
^ It is beautiful!

and....

Wow, expect me ringing your door bell next time I travel to SF. 
biggrin.gif
  Of course, I will bring sake...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back