Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Jul 20, 2011 at 3:53 PM Post #11,821 of 42,298
IMHO, as long as they can inspect it closely they will have no problem with you carrying it.  

Quote:

I am leaving for The Netherlands in about 3 weeks. I want to show my Dutch friends my Woo. I wonder if I can tuck a WA6 under my arm and breeze through security if I tell them what it is and show them Jack's manual.

Jul 20, 2011 at 3:56 PM Post #11,822 of 42,298

Quote:

I am leaving for The Netherlands in about 3 weeks. I want to show my Dutch friends my Woo. I wonder if I can tuck a WA6 under my arm and breeze through security if I tell them what it is and show them Jack's manual.

Yes, tuck it under your arm.  I'm sure it will be no problem at all. 
popcorn.gif

Jul 20, 2011 at 4:00 PM Post #11,823 of 42,298

Quote:
Yes, tuck it under your arm.  I'm sure it will be no problem at all. 
popcorn.gif

LOL. (Well, Mr. TSA Person. This device. Why yes. With this device I can hear voices. Right, right--voices; and sometimes music, too.)

Jul 20, 2011 at 4:34 PM Post #11,824 of 42,298

I traveled with my Woo6SE from USA to Turkey. Jack advised me to not check it in, but take it as a carry on. I used the hard styrofoam packaging it came with and I put it in my carry on luggage- it barely fit. They made me open the luggage in Heathrow. they just glanced at it for a second and that was it, no problems... 
beerchug.gif

Quote:

Jul 20, 2011 at 5:09 PM Post #11,825 of 42,298
Today's chat about air travel/security reminds me of something I've long been curious about: Listening levels. Not of the volume variety but of altitude. Perhaps, our Colorado members can jump in, as well as those who have attended RMAF. 

I'm wondering if any of our members once lived at sea level, then moved to high altitude or vice versa and noticed a difference in their listening experience after a month or two. Was the listening experience heightened or lessened by high altitude?
popcorn.gif

Jul 20, 2011 at 5:40 PM Post #11,826 of 42,298

Quote:
Today's chat about air travel/security reminds me of something I've long been curious about: Listening levels. Not of the volume variety but of altitude. Perhaps, our Colorado members can jump in, as well as those who have attended RMAF. 

I'm wondering if any of our members once lived at sea level, then moved to high altitude or vice versa and noticed a difference in their listening experience after a month or two. Was the listening experience heightened or lessened by high altitude?
popcorn.gif

Which reminds me. Following your lead, I have decided to make an appointment with an Audiologist. My appointment is 5 days before I leave for Europe. I hope it doesn't hurt.
wink_face.gif

Jul 20, 2011 at 5:54 PM Post #11,827 of 42,298
I travel to or through Heathrow every month. There are two Heathrows IMHO: Terminal 5 (BA's dedicated terminal) and the rest. T5 was designed from the outset to be an overpriced mall with runways attached, and so there's plenty of room to move and everything works pretty well. The other terminals have slowly filled up with the aforementioned overpriced stores, leaving little room to move or sit. The BA lounges are excellent: the business class/moderate-godhood frequent flyer lounge is spacious with good food and a substance otherwise unknown in the UK: free wi-fi. The "fake" first class lounge, which is really for higher-godhood frequent flyers has even better food and lots of space. The real first class lounge takes high-quality sucking up to a whole new level of excellence. Going through T5 requires some patience with long security lines, but I've never had a problem and the people are pleasant.

The rest of Heathrow is third world. Parts of it make the international terminal at LAX look modern. The United lounge does have excellent onion bhaji, though.....

The only issue pervasive with Heathrow is that their carryon size limits are smaller than the rest of the world's. I have a really silly little Heathrow-compatible roller bag that looks as if would hold the proverbial toothbrush and condom, and not much else. Oh, and if a single drop of moisture or snow falls anywhere in the UK, Heathrow closes down.

The only problem I can envisage with taking a Woo amp on board is that it's a pretty hefty piece of equipment, and could be construed as a potential weapon. I had a microphone stand base (a relatively small one) confiscated by the TSA at LAX once for that reason.

Travel sucks, by the way
smile.gif

Quote:
I went through Heathrow once just before 9/11 and one of the agents profiled me.  I didn't realize what he was doing at the time, but later when I heard about profiling I realized that his direct and sudden change of conversation and tone to ask me what I was doing there stressed me and I felt kind of goofy the way I reacted.  I think that they are trained in pushing your buttons a bit to see how you react to determine the need for further screening.

Glad to know that I don't have to worry about audio gear.  Thanks.

Jul 20, 2011 at 6:03 PM Post #11,828 of 42,298

Quote:
Which reminds me. Following your lead, I have decided to make an appointment with an Audiologist. My appointment is 5 days before I leave for Europe. I hope it doesn't hurt.
wink_face.gif

Great news! Typically, I make my annual visit between March & May. This year? W-a-a-a-y  late! (Silent One begins to write in hushed tones... realizing the money reserved for the audiologist went instead to upgrades) I hope to get it done early autumn (Sep/Oct).

I actually tried to get a few of us together for a joint trip to an audiologist earlier this spring. I had targeted Berkeley or S.F., so the 4-6 of us could hang for pizza & drink or something afterwards with the discount from the Doc I would have secured. Amazingly, I was treated as if I as trying to bring a dental office new business - rebuffed!

Personally, I have never had problems with my hearing... and that's exactly why I went, early and often. I saw it as a lifestyle choice. Like many other things we get done in L.A.. I also use to see the Chiro once a month to get realigned from Office activities; the post session massage in Rolling Hills were to die for!

These were just a few of the things we Brokers got pampered with. Luxury aside, they are all important health services. 
biggrin.gif

Jul 20, 2011 at 8:02 PM Post #11,830 of 42,298
I have several hard cases from pelican : http://www.pelican.com/

You can get them with the little foam inserts that you can customize to fit your gear into. A must have for dealing with those glorious individuals that like to cram their multiple carry-ons into your compartment.

Jul 20, 2011 at 8:55 PM Post #11,831 of 42,298

Quote:
I have several hard cases from pelican : http://www.pelican.com/

You can get them with the little foam inserts that you can customize to fit your gear into. A must have for dealing with those glorious individuals that like to cram their multiple carry-ons into your compartment.

Absolutely love those cases! I could find uses for every single model!!! 

Jul 20, 2011 at 10:17 PM Post #11,832 of 42,298
I know there have been different iterations of the WA2 over the years... in fact, one of the sub-headlines on Jack's home page right now reads: "The latest WA2 offers greater driving power for headphone and preamp outputs." This implies that there are lesser-powered versions out there. I'd imagine Jack could provide detailed information, along with serial numbers related to changes in design.

My WA2 has the now-unavailable premium parts upgrades -- I can't say how much upgrades like Black Gate caps and the like add, as it's the only WA2 I've ever heard, but I do very much like the stepped attenuator.

Ben

Absolutely correct Ben...here's a comment by Jack from Woo regarding how the newer WA2 is better for driving lower impedance headphones:

"It is due to several reasons. One thing is that the power tube section is
paralleled, giving more power output."

The other thing to consider with orthos, is damping factor is not as important as with dynamic headphones due to how the drivers are made and work (see kwkarth for a much more thorough explanation).

Jul 21, 2011 at 1:07 AM Post #11,833 of 42,298

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton SF /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The early WA2 used a 6x4 rectifier and the current WA2 uses the EZ80 or EZ81 (6V4 or 6CA4 rectifier). Also the earlier WA2's volume knob is on the left when facing the faceplate; current WA2's volume knob is on the right.

Thanks for this info, Clayton. I'd totally forgotten that early WA2s used 6x4 rectifiers. That's a very easy way to tell the difference.

Jul 21, 2011 at 1:13 AM Post #11,834 of 42,298

Quote:
I'm a big believer in quality caps.  Do the black Gates come standard now?

I don't believe so... the Black Gates were available as a premium parts upgrade, which has since entirely disappeared (AFAIK) from Jack's site. Then again, Woo Audio offers lots of goodies that aren't specifically mentioned on the site, so an email to Jack clarifying the availability of upgraded caps might be in order before you decide to buy.

Jul 21, 2011 at 12:58 PM Post #11,835 of 42,298
Hi,
I used to travel a lot and even before TSA/(9/11) they didn´t allow to carry lamp bulbs or tubes inside the airplane.
Also, recently, I remember to see light bulbs listed as prohibited items to board at the gates.
So, the amplifier itself, without the tubes, must be allowed as carry on luggage.
Next august I will carry a Woo amp with me from NYC, my plan was to remove just the tubes and put them inside the checked luggage, but now I noticed that every comment here didn´t mention anything about the tubes.
So, anyone here had problems transporting their tubes amplifiers "fully loaded"?
Thanks in advance!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back