Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Jul 19, 2011 at 4:22 AM Post #11,791 of 42,298
I never did thank you, Silent One, for your kind words.  It took a little while, but I think I've found the emotional connection again.  I'm slowly learning to not question why when it happens either.  :) 

Now, if only the new machine supplying the music would stop acting up I'll be all set.

Jul 19, 2011 at 11:06 AM Post #11,792 of 42,298

Quote:
Ummm, no. OCD. And I travel all the time and work out of San Francisco, Mountain View, Lausanne, Beijing, Tokyo, etc. So I'm paperless.....paper is too heavy to lug around.

What do you do for music when traveling?

Jul 19, 2011 at 11:57 AM Post #11,793 of 42,298
When I'm on the road, iPod/iPhone/iPad/Macbook with ALAC CD rips->iTunes/Pure Music->Headroom Total BitHead->Etymotic/Klipsch IEMs. The Total BitHead is the limiting factor here, so I'm thinking about other small portable amps. I fly 250k miles a year and never check luggage, so size and weight are really important.

When I'm in Switzerland, I have evening/weekend access to our company's main listening room, which is about the highest-end speaker-based system you can imagine, so that's a real treat. The problem now is that I want Verity Audio Lohengrin speakers at home, and they're quite pricey at $80k.....never mind the $100k or so in source/preamps/amps. The good news is that a headphone system for less than a tenth the price sounds almost as good, and better in some cases.

Quote:
What do you do for music when traveling?

Jul 19, 2011 at 12:56 PM Post #11,794 of 42,298
Hi all,
happy WA3 owner here. Anyone tried this amp with the Chroma MD1?
I've got the opportunity to buy it second-hand, but will the amp be up to it? Impedance is 60ohm, sensitivity is 103db.
I've used the WA3 with some K702 and I liked what I heard...
I really don't want to upgrade my amp right now 
rolleyes.gif

Jul 19, 2011 at 12:58 PM Post #11,795 of 42,298

Quote:
When I'm on the road, iPod/iPhone/iPad/Macbook with ALAC CD rips->iTunes/Pure Music->Headroom Total BitHead->Etymotic/Klipsch IEMs. The Total BitHead is the limiting factor here, so I'm thinking about other small portable amps. I fly 250k miles a year and never check luggage, so size and weight are really important.

When I'm in Switzerland, I have evening/weekend access to our company's main listening room, which is about the highest-end speaker-based system you can imagine, so that's a real treat. The problem now is that I want Verity Audio Lohengrin speakers at home, and they're quite pricey at $80k.....never mind the $100k or so in source/preamps/amps. The good news is that a headphone system for less than a tenth the price sounds almost as good, and better in some cases.

I'm putting together a travel system with the AlgoRhythm Solo/Ray Samuels SR71-Balanced/iPod/HD800.

The Solo is a digital transport for the iPod and it has a DAC.  It's feeding the SR-71B which is a balanced headphone amp.  I haven't taken delivery of the SR-71B yet, but playing the Solo in my main system I am impressed by how spooky good it is.  the SR-71B should be here tomorrow.

This link is to the head-fi tv piece Jude did on the paring: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/548529/head-fi-tv-episode-003-cypher-labs-algorhythm-solo-a-game-changer.

I am with you on the economy of scale for headphone systems.  You can get the best for about a 10th of the cost of a full-sized system.  How are you liking your new Woo?  Is it living up to your expectations?  How far into breakin are you?

Jul 19, 2011 at 5:03 PM Post #11,796 of 42,298
That would be a sweet system for use on the road. The size would make it impractical for me, sadly. I only take carry-on, and have the misfortune to often route through London Heathrow, where they take a perverse and palpable delight in confiscating regular US-sized carryons; the Heathrow limits are a few inches less than, um, those in the civilized world. Even with US-sized carryons, the HD800s would be too big to cart around. A pity.

The Woo WES, and the Wyred4Sound DAC-2, and the Stax SR-007s, are all new. So I'm early in the break-in for all of them. I've noticed, not surprisingly, that they demand high-quality source material. For the most part, I've been really enjoying the sound, but have not yet been blown away by it. Then I listened last night to a Chesky sampler disk. OMG. The sound absolutely blew my socks off. I think it's partly because the recordings are so good, partly because I'm getting used to the new setup, and partly because the most dramatic improvements in break-in take place in the early stages. With about 20 hours on the system, it's beginning to really impress me. Absolutely magical and thrilling, and truly joyful. I'm so glad I took the plunge. I took the easy way, and I know it: instead of slowly upgrading, I dove into the world of high-end headphone audio starting at the top (if you don't count my Hifiman EF2A and HD650s). I didn't pay my dues, or experience the long learning curve, and so I'm not appreciating this as much as someone who did it the slower way. But I'm still grateful and appreciating it a lot.

Quote:
I'm putting together a travel system with the AlgoRhythm Solo/Ray Samuels SR71-Balanced/iPod/HD800.

The Solo is a digital transport for the iPod and it has a DAC.  It's feeding the SR-71B which is a balanced headphone amp.  I haven't taken delivery of the SR-71B yet, but playing the Solo in my main system I am impressed by how spooky good it is.  the SR-71B should be here tomorrow.

This link is to the head-fi tv piece Jude did on the paring: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/548529/head-fi-tv-episode-003-cypher-labs-algorhythm-solo-a-game-changer.

I am with you on the economy of scale for headphone systems.  You can get the best for about a 10th of the cost of a full-sized system.  How are you liking your new Woo?  Is it living up to your expectations?  How far into breakin are you?

Jul 19, 2011 at 6:53 PM Post #11,798 of 42,298

Quote:
That would be a sweet system for use on the road. The size would make it impractical for me, sadly. I only take carry-on, and have the misfortune to often route through London Heathrow, where they take a perverse and palpable delight in confiscating regular US-sized carryons; the Heathrow limits are a few inches less than, um, those in the civilized world. Even with US-sized carryons, the HD800s would be too big to cart around. A pity.

The Woo WES, and the Wyred4Sound DAC-2, and the Stax SR-007s, are all new. So I'm early in the break-in for all of them. I've noticed, not surprisingly, that they demand high-quality source material. For the most part, I've been really enjoying the sound, but have not yet been blown away by it. Then I listened last night to a Chesky sampler disk. OMG. The sound absolutely blew my socks off. I think it's partly because the recordings are so good, partly because I'm getting used to the new setup, and partly because the most dramatic improvements in break-in take place in the early stages. With about 20 hours on the system, it's beginning to really impress me. Absolutely magical and thrilling, and truly joyful. I'm so glad I took the plunge. I took the easy way, and I know it: instead of slowly upgrading, I dove into the world of high-end headphone audio starting at the top (if you don't count my Hifiman EF2A and HD650s). I didn't pay my dues, or experience the long learning curve, and so I'm not appreciating this as much as someone who did it the slower way. But I'm still grateful and appreciating it a lot.

Do keep us updated, we're passengers on this flight. 20 hours on the system? Seems you may have left a '0' behind in the hangar. 200 hours minimum will get you to the dance. 500 hours on the system will get you on the dance floor. 700+ will get you another invite! 
biggrin.gif
  And you're absolutely dead-on about using high quality source material. With each passing upgrade, my music library sees a few deletions...

Jul 19, 2011 at 11:03 PM Post #11,799 of 42,298

Quote:

I find it to be true as well that source material is the double edged sword of hi-rez listening.  As for time, 20 hours is scratching the surface.  Your DAC alone will shift around dramatically for the first 100 hours and then will get more clear and loose its harshness till about 200 hours.  The difference between 20 hours and 200 hours is night and day on the DAC alone.  I think about 200 hours in and the system will really start to sound like it should.

Jul 20, 2011 at 12:54 AM Post #11,802 of 42,298
WA2 question.  I set a budget ceiling of 1K for a tube amp and the WA2 fits in there, not counting the cost of tube rolling.

I have an idea of what I want in a tube amp and am wondering if the WA2 has those qualities.  I'm looking for the cliche "tube" sound and presentation in a tube amp.  Classic tube euphonics is ok.  I want that 3D liquid roundish sound.  The lush tube midrange magic. A sound that definitely is tubes and not something that can be compared to or said to be nearing the solid state domain.  midrange liquid magic.  I know some of this will vary according to what tubes will be rolled in and out of the WA2 but in general I'm looking for this sort of experience. I'm wondering if the WA2 fits the bill and if it will pair with my LCD-2's.

Jul 20, 2011 at 12:55 AM Post #11,803 of 42,298
I guess a link would help...

http://aloaudio.com/alo-audio-the-continental-mobile-vacuum-tube-amplifier.html

There is of course a thread floating out here on it already.

Quote:
Interesting...

- Silent One (&Team Raytheon)

Quote:
Quote:
Wouldn't it be cool to have a mini woo amp for just an occasion?

The tube guy in me is certainly watching for impressions of the ALO Continental!

Jul 20, 2011 at 1:01 AM Post #11,804 of 42,298
Jul 20, 2011 at 1:04 AM Post #11,805 of 42,298

Quote:
WA2 question.  I set a budget ceiling of 1K for a tube amp and the WA2 fits in there, not counting the cost of tube rolling.

I have an idea of what I want in a tube amp and am wondering if the WA2 has those qualities.  I'm looking for the cliche "tube" sound and presentation in a tube amp.  Classic tube euphonics is ok.  I want that 3D liquid roundish sound.  The lush tube midrange magic. A sound that definitely is tubes and not something that can be compared to or said to be nearing the solid state domain.  midrange liquid magic.  I know some of this will vary according to what tubes will be rolled in and out of the WA2 but in general I'm looking for this sort of experience. I'm wondering if the WA2 fits the bill and if it will pair with my LCD-2's.

Didn't MacedonianHero just post an in-depth review on WA2 & WA22 w/LCD-2's; T-1's HD800's? I could be mistaken, as I'm a bit hot & tired...
Yes, I just found it. Maybe he could shed some light on the WA2/LCD-2 for you; answer some additional questions...

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/562618/woo-audio-wa2-and-wa22-comparisons-finally-finished-whew

Users who are viewing this thread

Back