Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Jul 18, 2011 at 1:40 AM Post #11,761 of 42,298

Quote:
The 8 hours max is a Woo standard.  I've never run mine for more than 10 hours (sometimes I'm working longer hours).

I've always wondered why the eight-hour limit (the Woo standardl). I mean, it's not like the amp is going to get any hotter after 8 hours, right?

Jul 18, 2011 at 1:44 AM Post #11,762 of 42,298

Quote:
I've always wondered why the eight-hour limit (the Woo standardl). I mean, it's not like the amp is going to get any hotter after 8 hours, right?

My guess is that he does not want to encourage us to use the amp for extended break-in sessions.  This is just a guess.

Jul 18, 2011 at 2:06 AM Post #11,763 of 42,298

Quote:
My guess is that he does not want to encourage us to use the amp for extended break-in sessions.  This is just a guess.

From where I'm sitting (staring at 12 empty tea tins dreaming about my next upgrade... "addict!"), I would suggest two concerns rolled in to one. Some tube combos run the amps hot like the Devil! In addition, 8+ hours would only encourage the amp being left unattended (huge no-no). Many bad things can happen even under one's watch... arcs, sparks and... FIRE (potentially).
popcorn.gif

Jul 18, 2011 at 3:23 AM Post #11,764 of 42,298

Quote:
From where I'm sitting (staring at 12 empty tea tins dreaming about my next upgrade... "addict!"), I would suggest two concerns rolled in to one. Some tube combos run the amps hot like the Devil! In addition, 8+ hours would only encourage the amp being left unattended (huge no-no). Many bad things can happen even under one's watch... arcs, sparks and... FIRE (potentially).
popcorn.gif

Just when I'm inching closer to glass I see this stuff and back away for awhile!

Jul 18, 2011 at 4:27 AM Post #11,765 of 42,298

Quote:
Just when I'm inching closer to glass I see this stuff and back away for awhile!

Wait! It's so safe I'm suspicious... 
ph34r.gif

SS or Glass, even TV, I cast a wary eye towards when thinking about making a quick 20 minute run to the Goodie Sto' for Haagen-Dazs. Electronic components are a lot like our bodies - can look perfectly healthy yet, something dangerous could be lurking underneath. A new purchase matters little.

I have lived/stayed in a lot of places and seen plenty of homes Go Up! Only to learn the Fire Dept found the most simple, the most mudane, the most "who would have thought?" device or reason behind the fires. Oh, I still leave things on occasionally but nuthin' like I use to.

One reason I bought the Pioneer box is there were moments during the day where I could squeeze a listen here and there. But if I couldn't have my Glass on for a one hour minimum, I simply wouldn't listen... period. Now I have the 'shut-off' factor working in my favor during the day and savor the Glass at night. Makes for a better glow anyway...

So, come join our ranks, you'll be fine!  

Jul 18, 2011 at 6:37 AM Post #11,767 of 42,298
What about other companies? is that 8 hour limit standard?

I'm considering a few tube amps and this may very well kill some choices for me as I usually have my gear on all day and late into the night.

Jul 18, 2011 at 6:46 AM Post #11,768 of 42,298
I can't see it being that big of a deal as long as it's not in continuous use and the tubes and transformers aren't running that hot. My WA22 stays pretty cool (as in lukewarm), and I am usually running two headphones at at a time. The worst thing would be to turn it off and on frequently.

Please take note of all disclaimers below 
bigsmile_face.gif

Jul 18, 2011 at 6:57 AM Post #11,769 of 42,298
Woo Audio is wise. And expresses at once enjoyment & safety. Actually, you could set up a pair of small whisper fans to cool your Woo and run it like year-end holiday displays... continuously. It just wouldn't be safe. 
wink_face.gif

Jul 18, 2011 at 7:20 AM Post #11,771 of 42,298
Since we're discussing electricity, look on the bright side. 10 hours instead of 20 will bring your listening sessions more focus; clarity. Many here in this thread might be accustomed to background music all day/night. Perhaps, a second amp (even an SS) or portable to compliment one's 20 hours days? I agree, music in the air while we work and play all day and night can be nice. But not at the risk of my Woo (or my home).
popcorn.gif

Jul 18, 2011 at 7:23 AM Post #11,772 of 42,298
10 hours is a long time to be sitting listening. My flatmate once sat playing Xbox for 20 hours straight (1 bathroom brake around 15) so I guess it is possible though.
Speaking of which.... my 6SE arrived today!!!!
Oh my word it sounds amazing! (and that's just with the stock tubes...) i got all the other tubes available on the woo site too, so am looking forward to rolling around with it.

Also, even though I've seen pictures, this thing is huge!

Anyone have much experience with the 6se and grado's? I know there seems to be some dislike of them but I've heard (read) good things about them with rock.
My hd650s will be fine for some time but i have a terrible case of the upgrade disease. 

Jul 18, 2011 at 7:42 AM Post #11,773 of 42,298

Quote:
10 hours is a long time to be sitting listening. My flatmate once sat playing Xbox for 20 hours straight (1 bathroom brake around 15) so I guess it is possible though.
Speaking of which.... my 6SE arrived today!!!!
Oh my word it sounds amazing! (and that's just with the stock tubes...) i got all the other tubes available on the woo site too, so am looking forward to rolling around with it.

Also, even though I've seen pictures, this thing is huge!

Anyone have much experience with the 6se and grado's? I know there seems to be some dislike of them but I've heard (read) good things about them with rock.
My hd650s will be fine for some time but i have a terrible case of the upgrade disease. 

Welcome! I was hoping you'd be getting that surprise soon. I had the same experience as you. I saw the photos. Took out the measuring tape. And looked at the audio rack. Once I heaved that heft outta the box my expression changed a bit. So much bigger and badder in person!

Nuthin' wrong with desiring another option this early. It will improve your ability to emotionally connect with your music. Some days/nights it might be just out of reach. Then you realize "ah ha!", and try the other headphones, tubes ect... and suddenly you're finding the magic again. It might also help to take a photo of your wallet. This way, you can cherish the memory of how it once was... with money inside.  
biggrin.gif

Jul 18, 2011 at 11:08 AM Post #11,774 of 42,298

Quote:
What about other companies? is that 8 hour limit standard?

I'm considering a few tube amps and this may very well kill some choices for me as I usually have my gear on all day and late into the night.

I leave my Woo on sometimes as much at 10 at a time with no ill effects.  I have never heard of another company advising a time limit.

Jul 18, 2011 at 11:15 AM Post #11,775 of 42,298
^ Sometimes on the weekends I leave my Leben CS300XS amp on for 10-15 hours. Music from my Leben is on all day when it is powering my Zu Audio speakers. I'm constantly doing things in my apartment so I'm not sitting in one spot all day. Sweet!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back