Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Jul 18, 2011 at 11:25 AM Post #11,776 of 42,298
From cary audio:

Quote:
This brings us to an ongoing debate. Which is better-leaving the product on 24 hours a day or turning it on and off? Both will shorten the life of your tubes. So what should you do? The answer lies somewhere between the two. If you listen faithfully for several hours a day then leave the unit on. You do not want to turn it on and off several times a day. This is worse than leaving it on 24 hours a day. If you listen two or three times a week or just on weekends, turn the unit off when not in use. In this case, allow one hour for warm up time. For the weekend listener, turn the unit on Friday and turn it off Sunday night. This will optimize tube life for your amplifier. Preamplifiers and CD players should stay on all the time. The tube replacement cost for these units is considerably less than amplifiers. Most of our amplifiers have a Standby feature. The Standby is there to pre-warm the tubes before operating. Tubes generally last longer if they have only a few minutes of warm up time.

Most tubes will last for many years. Some will fail after a short period of time. As more tubes are being manufactured, the quality is excellent and the life is longer.

http://www.caryaudio.com/support/faq.html#3

Jul 18, 2011 at 11:37 AM Post #11,777 of 42,298

Bear,

Just beautiful!!  The sound must be incredible.
Quote:
My Woo WES arrived just after I left the US on a 3.5-week trip. Oh the agony. But now the pain is over and the pleasure has begun. Right out of the box, it and the SR-007s sound wonderful. The DAC-2 seems like a perfect match. I went to the California Audio Show today, though, and heard the DaVinci 384kHz DAC, and it was fabulous. A tad spendy, though.....

Jul 18, 2011 at 2:57 PM Post #11,778 of 42,298
Maybe this has been covered DEPT.  On the Woo website there is now a PDF owners manual for the WA22 (+others)  http://wooaudio.com/manuals/WA22_Owner_Manual.pdf  I don't recall the 150+ hour break-in number before.  But I do tend to forget with all the issues we cover here.  I looked at the WES manual for fun (Geek alert!!!)

Jul 18, 2011 at 6:10 PM Post #11,779 of 42,298

Quote:
From cary audio:

http://www.caryaudio.com/support/faq.html#3

All Day ~

My own Woo Audio WA 6 Special Edition amp could breeze through Cary Audio's operating guidelines and practices All Day. Proving one point and missing another. It's not about what an amp can or cannot do. My amp uses 6SN7 tubes w/adapters and would never match the warmth of a delicate green tea. Which is never steeped beyond warm to begin with - yeah, my amp's operating temp is that good! 

Wanna see 168 consecutive hours? Backed by your S.E.T., I'd do it in a heartbeat. But I'd want something to play with in the event I failed. 
biggrin.gif
 Rather, this is about a manufacturer (Woo Audio) recommending users be prudent due to safety concerns.

Tea, anyone?

Jul 18, 2011 at 7:36 PM Post #11,782 of 42,298

Quote:
Sure is.  Imagine editing audio and TV for 10-12-14 -16 hours a day.  By the end of the day you're shell shocked just front he rewind sound alone.

Work ethic ~

Behind the glamour, I don't think the general population understands the hard work and dedication needed to succeed in the industry in various capacities. I've been in and around studios a lot. And have nuthin' but admiration for what you do, WarriorAnt. Also, as a courtesy, I started listing my Sony Portable sans model name when posting.  
dt880smile.png

beerchug.gif

Jul 18, 2011 at 7:46 PM Post #11,783 of 42,298

Quote:
Sure is.  Imagine editing audio and TV for 10-12-14 -16 hours a day.  By the end of the day you're shell shocked just front he rewind sound alone.

WA, I know what you mean, but only partially.  Before switching to computers, I worked in broadcast journalism for 9 years and did all of my own editing.  Eventually stopped watching TV and didn't even have a phone that would ring.

Jul 18, 2011 at 7:57 PM Post #11,784 of 42,298

Quote:
WA, I know what you mean, but only partially.  Before switching to computers, I worked in broadcast journalism for 9 years and did all of my own editing.  Eventually stopped watching TV and didn't even have a phone that would ring.

My current state of affairs ~

In the kitchen making noise with the pots & pans. Awaiting any kind of audio related news still-to-come... (Big country kool-aid grin)

Jul 18, 2011 at 8:15 PM Post #11,785 of 42,298

Quote:

I stopped editing in 2004 after 25 years of doing it.  I had just started a session for a show to air on OLN, now VERSUS.  I looked around the room and realized 25 years was enough. So I got up to take a piss and simply went home instead. Never to return again. I didn't tell anyone. I just went home.  I still have nightmares of sitting in the editing suites with clients all around me bickering and changing their minds every few seconds while I fast forward and rewind all the tapes over and over and over trying to get control of the video and the sound.  Then in my nightmare I simply get up and go home and then wake up, cursing under my breath.

But I know what you mean about not watching TV.  For about 15 years I pretty much stopped watching TV at home because it was sort of perverse to edit TV shows for endless hours at work and then go home and sit in front of the cathode tube again. Instead I went home turned off the lights and sat in front of my big speaker rigs cleansing myself of all the timecode, drop frame and non drop frame,  that tortured me for most of the day and part of the evening.

But now I watch TV. I'm catching up on all the great series I missed and never got to see.  6 ft under. The Wire, West Wing.   ROME!   The list is endless. 

Jul 18, 2011 at 8:44 PM Post #11,786 of 42,298
I'm not sure what method flying bear used, but a simple one is to secure the power cords neatly on the underside of the back of the desk.  You can even secure a power strip up there so that you only get one single power cord dropping down to an outlet.  Always looks better than trying to keep things neat on the ground because from the normal viewing position they are invisible back there...

Unless you are laying on the floor looking up.... which only happens a few days a year to me 
wink_face.gif

Quote:

You have to come over to my hovel and show me the secret of hiding all the power cords!

Jul 18, 2011 at 8:57 PM Post #11,787 of 42,298

Ah, you have divined my guilty OCD secret: I hate exposed cabling, unless it's nice-looking thick-as-your-arm power cords in a home theater, or various pretty interconnects.

It's fairly close to what shipsupt stated: The desk is a built-in, constructed on an overengineered but very sturdy rectangular steel girder framework. Some heavy-duty cable ties wrapped around the girders hold a veritable wonderland of cables, power strips, wall warts and a GigE switch. You can indeed see it when you're laying on the floor, and it took a few hours of doing that to build all the wiring looms and harnesses, but it was worth it. The only thing that I wish I'd done differently is to have the multi-outlet Cat 6e/fiber/coax outlets in the house closer up underneath working surfaces, so that you can't see them. You can see one in the picture you attached on the wall beneath the 24" LCD monitor (yeah, that's a 24"....those 30" monsters next to it make everything else look small, even the larger-than-life WES). My blood pressure goes up a little every time I see the outlet, and I wish it was one foot higher. OCD is a curse....

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorAnt /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You have to come over to my hovel and show me the secret of hiding all the power cords!

Jul 18, 2011 at 10:24 PM Post #11,788 of 42,298

It's wayyyyy too neat--they all must be cardboard props!

Seriously, I'm as impressed with the tidiness of your listening area as I am with the electronics. I hope that was just for the camera :)

Quote:

Jul 18, 2011 at 10:44 PM Post #11,789 of 42,298

Quote:
I'm not sure what method flying bear used, but a simple one is to secure the power cords neatly on the underside of the back of the desk.  You can even secure a power strip up there so that you only get one single power cord dropping down to an outlet.  Always looks better than trying to keep things neat on the ground because from the normal viewing position they are invisible back there...

Unless you are laying on the floor looking up.... which only happens a few days a year to me 
wink_face.gif

Whatever the technique I can never seem to get it right.

Quote:
Ah, you have divined my guilty OCD secret: I hate exposed cabling, unless it's nice-looking thick-as-your-arm power cords in a home theater, or various pretty interconnects.

It's fairly close to what shipsupt stated: The desk is a built-in, constructed on an overengineered but very sturdy rectangular steel girder framework. Some heavy-duty cable ties wrapped around the girders hold a veritable wonderland of cables, power strips, wall warts and a GigE switch. You can indeed see it when you're laying on the floor, and it took a few hours of doing that to build all the wiring looms and harnesses, but it was worth it. The only thing that I wish I'd done differently is to have the multi-outlet Cat 6e/fiber/coax outlets in the house closer up underneath working surfaces, so that you can't see them. You can see one in the picture you attached on the wall beneath the 24" LCD monitor (yeah, that's a 24"....those 30" monsters next to it make everything else look small, even the larger-than-life WES). My blood pressure goes up a little every time I see the outlet, and I wish it was one foot higher. OCD is a curse....

Jul 18, 2011 at 10:47 PM Post #11,790 of 42,298
Ummm, no. OCD. And I travel all the time and work out of San Francisco, Mountain View, Lausanne, Beijing, Tokyo, etc. So I'm paperless.....paper is too heavy to lug around.

Quote:
It's wayyyyy too neat--they all must be cardboard props!

Seriously, I'm as impressed with the tidiness of your listening area as I am with the electronics. I hope that was just for the camera :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back