Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Jul 5, 2011 at 10:00 AM Post #11,416 of 42,298

Quote:
SilentOne, yes; a balanced perspective is the most helpful to enjoying the most life has to offer, I like it.  I think like anything when something new comes into the mix, each fact or piece of information or theory hasn't been balanced out with a practical result yet so one does not know how to value it yet.  Where does it go, how much weight does it have and how does it factor in.  I think the end result of it all is your last sentence.

Just as we headed into the holiday weekend you mentioned Janos Starker. A quick library check revealed I only have one CD...? So, last night I pulled the trigger on a DVD-DAD 96/24 kHz "Starker Plays Baker." My new system has me excited again to review & renew the audio library...

Jul 5, 2011 at 10:25 AM Post #11,418 of 42,298

Quote:
I have the DAC going 24/7 so it should be there toward the end of this week.

Right now I am ripping CD's I own to WAV as a test.  Then I'm going to rip tham to FLAC and compare.  My inclination now is to rip my physical collection as WAV, and then buy the highest resolution possible and not convert to WAV but leave it as it is sold.

Assuming no bugs, FLAC is truly lossless in both the compress and uncompress directions. It's easy to verify this yourself by comparing files bit-for-bit. As an extreme example, you can download a FLAC from, say, HDTracks.com, convert it to ALAC, convert that to WAV, then to FLAC, then to ALAC, then back to FLAC, and the bits will be the same.

I take the point that, eventually, a library may become obsolete and that an unintentional error causes an old FLAC file to be unreadable sometime in the future. This is unlikely to be a "sudden" thing; you'll be able to run the old decompresser for a long time (e.g. you can run DOS applications in a VM on Windows 7 x64, spanning many generations of technology).

Having said that, it's a matter of personal preference, somewhat outside the realms of hard science. The bits are the same, but I guess that it's possible that the act of decompressing a FLAC loads a CPU enough to cause timing issues in the outgoing bit stream; at the same time, the act of reading roughly twice as much WAV data versus FLAC from memory or a hard drive might have similar effects. There's really no right or wrong answer, and storage is cheap: 1000 albums are 600GB in WAV, 300GB in FLAC, i.e. $55 or $28 worth of storage, twice that with a backup. Big deal. In due course, you'll have a $5 thumb drive with this capacity.

The psychology of high-end audio seems to be as important as the science, and arguing about that is generally as effective as trying to teach a pig to sing: at the end, you're annoyed, the pig is annoyed, but you still don't have a singing pig
smile.gif

Jul 5, 2011 at 10:44 AM Post #11,420 of 42,298
Good post, Flying Bear.  You have made a lot of good points that I agree with.  Everything is a trade off but without big consequences.

Jul 5, 2011 at 11:01 AM Post #11,421 of 42,298
Jul 5, 2011 at 6:05 PM Post #11,424 of 42,298
The other item worth noting is that of all the "processes" being discussed, the one which is most prone to errors is CD ripping.  If you can get past that stage with the music unaltered I don't think you will see any appreciable difference between file formats, either compressed or uncompressed.  For me, the ability to tag is huge which eliminates WAV.

Agreed 100%.

Jul 5, 2011 at 6:09 PM Post #11,425 of 42,298
Assuming no bugs, FLAC is truly lossless in both the compress and uncompress directions. It's easy to verify this yourself by comparing files bit-for-bit. As an extreme example, you can download a FLAC from, say, HDTracks.com, convert it to ALAC, convert that to WAV, then to FLAC, then to ALAC, then back to FLAC, and the bits will be the same.

I take the point that, eventually, a library may become obsolete and that an unintentional error causes an old FLAC file to be unreadable sometime in the future. This is unlikely to be a "sudden" thing; you'll be able to run the old decompresser for a long time (e.g. you can run DOS applications in a VM on Windows 7 x64, spanning many generations of technology).

Having said that, it's a matter of personal preference, somewhat outside the realms of hard science. The bits are the same, but I guess that it's possible that the act of decompressing a FLAC loads a CPU enough to cause timing issues in the outgoing bit stream; at the same time, the act of reading roughly twice as much WAV data versus FLAC from memory or a hard drive might have similar effects. There's really no right or wrong answer, and storage is cheap: 1000 albums are 600GB in WAV, 300GB in FLAC, i.e. $55 or $28 worth of storage, twice that with a backup. Big deal. In due course, you'll have a $5 thumb drive with this capacity.

The psychology of high-end audio seems to be as important as the science, and arguing about that is generally as effective as trying to teach a pig to sing: at the end, you're annoyed, the pig is annoyed, but you still don't have a singing pig
smile.gif

Ageed, rip to flac and enjoy.

Jul 5, 2011 at 8:54 PM Post #11,427 of 42,298
My WA22 arrived today....very impressed with it so far with my LCD-2s. I immediately popped in my NOS Tung-Sol 7236s (but I'm using the stock driver and rectifier tubes....for now anyway :wink:). I am really digging the combination about 30 minutes in. Dave (davo50) mentioned that he pretty much burned it in over the past 3 months.

I plan on writing a comparative review (quick one though as between work and my 2 young kids, finding time is not easy). I plan to compare my LCD-2s, HD800s and T1s (in that order) using both the WA22 (tubes mentioned above) and my (or should I say Sophonax's WA2) with Tung-Sol 5998s, Mullard CV2492s and Mullard EZ80s.

One thing I can definitely say at this range, the law of diminished returns is certainly kicking in.....but there still are some improvements (mostly subtle).

Jul 5, 2011 at 8:59 PM Post #11,428 of 42,298
Congrats Peter! We're talking about the WA22 and not the LCD-2, yes?

Quote:
Nice, thanks.

Mike, are you using M-Pod? What control device are you using with the BDP-1?

Also is there added functionality when using it with the Bryston DAC compared to the W4S?

I would definitely stay away from WAV, as the tag files you are generating for the BDP-1 may not be what you want if you migrate to a different playback device. Genuine tagging would be better for avoiding potential problems in the future when converting to different formats/devices/applications.

Jul 5, 2011 at 9:21 PM Post #11,429 of 42,298
Congrats Peter! We're talking about the WA22 and not the LCD-2, yes?

Mike, are you using M-Pod? What control device are you using with the BDP-1?

Also is there added functionality when using it with the Bryston DAC compared to the W4S?

I would definitely stay away from WAV, as the tag files you are generating for the BDP-1 may not be what you want if you migrate to a different playback device. Genuine tagging would be better for avoiding potential problems in the future when converting to different formats/devices/applications.

Yes...WA22. I meant it paired with my LCD-2s. :smile:

I just cleaned it up a bit.

Jul 5, 2011 at 9:40 PM Post #11,430 of 42,298
Very cool, Peter. Glad you are liking it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back