Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Jul 4, 2011 at 1:11 AM Post #11,388 of 42,298

Quote:
Cool videos! Can you imagine doing that intricate hand assembly work all day long?

I could if Jazz; Classical, were allowed in the background. Also, I would have really enjoyed seeing the microphone used by the narrator... a golden era classic, no doubt!

Jul 4, 2011 at 2:37 AM Post #11,389 of 42,298
New goodies for the 22.... Raytheon and Sylvania VT-99's. Got them yesterday.

Jul 4, 2011 at 11:47 AM Post #11,390 of 42,298
These are great... thanks for sharing!

Quote:

How tubes are made.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCksgN7kiv4&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J61hHMjxzC4&feature=player_embedded

Jul 4, 2011 at 1:33 PM Post #11,391 of 42,298
Starting to test the ripping of my CD collection.  Ripping a few test CD's as flac and wav and will do some listening tests.

Also, DAC-2 nearing 72 hours.  Bass was bloated yesterday and tightened up considerably today.  Some harshness and edginess is still there but not as pronounced.  I'm hoping it settles down soon.

Jul 4, 2011 at 1:47 PM Post #11,392 of 42,298

Quote:
Starting to test the ripping of my CD collection.  Ripping a few test CD's as flac and wav and will do some listening tests.

Also, DAC-2 nearing 72 hours.  Bass was bloated yesterday and tightened up considerably today.  Some harshness and edginess is still there but not as pronounced.  I'm hoping it settles down soon.

72 hours is nothing yet. got to get to 200.     

Are you ripping AIFF files to WAV?   

Jul 4, 2011 at 3:01 PM Post #11,393 of 42,298

Quote:

Let's pretend:
You are on a Boeing 787 Dreamliner and your destination is 200. You are currently at 72--right? So kick back and let the Dreamliner zip past the clouds and cut through the clear air turbulence. You'll start to feel less anxious when you begin to coast closer toward 200 as WarriorAnt has suggested. The flight may be bumpy on the way but at least you have a destination point. You are not yet where you want to be so put on your headphones, don't ring the flight attendant unless you need a drink, and do not unfasten your seatbelt until the aircraft has come to a complete stop at the gate and the Captain has turned off the fasten seatbelt signs.

And wake me when you get there.
tongue.gif

Jul 4, 2011 at 3:07 PM Post #11,394 of 42,298

Quote:
Let's pretend:
You are on a Boeing 787 Dreamliner and your destination is 200. You are currently at 72--right? So kick back and let the Dreamliner zip past the clouds and cut through the clear air turbulence. You'll start to feel less anxious when you begin to coast closer toward 200 as WarriorAnt has suggested. The flight may be bumpy on the way but at least you have a destination point. You are not yet where you want to be so put on your headphones, don't ring the flight attendant unless you need a drink, and do not unfasten your seatbelt until the aircraft has come to a complete stop at the gate and the Captain has turned off the fasten seatbelt signs.

tongue.gif

it's interesting to hear Mikes observations of the DAC-2 changing its sonic character as it breaks in, if not to verify from a seasoned pair of ears that burn in for the DAC-2 does exist and to prove also that burn in of a component does exist.  Keep posting those observations. I want to see how they compare with my own observation of the DAC-2.  

Jul 4, 2011 at 3:12 PM Post #11,395 of 42,298

Quote:
it's interesting to hear Mikes observations of the DAC-2 changing its sonic character as it breaks in, if not to verify from a seasoned pair of ears that burn in for the DAC-2 does exist and to prove also that burn in of a component does exist.  Keep posting those observations. I want to see how they compare with my own observation of the DAC-2. 

That's a very good point, WarriorAnt.

Yes, Mike, keep posting those observations like a seasoned pilot calling attention to what's happening during your flight on the way to your final destination. And then some!

Jul 4, 2011 at 8:44 PM Post #11,396 of 42,298

Quote:
72 hours is nothing yet. got to get to 200.     

Are you ripping AIFF files to WAV?   

I have the DAC going 24/7 so it should be there toward the end of this week.

Right now I am ripping CD's I own to WAV as a test.  Then I'm going to rip tham to FLAC and compare.  My inclination now is to rip my physical collection as WAV, and then buy the highest resolution possible and not convert to WAV but leave it as it is sold.

Jul 4, 2011 at 8:45 PM Post #11,397 of 42,298

Quote:
Let's pretend:

tongue.gif

Ok!

Jul 4, 2011 at 8:45 PM Post #11,398 of 42,298

Quote:
That's a very good point, WarriorAnt.

Yes, Mike, keep posting those observations like a seasoned pilot calling attention to what's happening during your flight on the way to your final destination. And then some!

There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are no old, bold pilots!

One point is that I was very surprised that the base got all bloated and then firmed up.  I have not heard that before.  This DAC does go all over the map during breakin, that is for sure.

Jul 4, 2011 at 8:50 PM Post #11,399 of 42,298
A question I could use some help answering.

When going from a computer to a DAC via USB I can see where a higher quality USB cable would come into play to help get audio quality high.  The guys at W4S swear by it.  My question is related somewhat in that would a higher quality USB cable help audio quality if I am connecting a USB drive but only transfering files?  I'm asking as I'd like to optimize the HDD connection to my Bryston BDP-1.

Thanks.

Jul 4, 2011 at 9:18 PM Post #11,400 of 42,298

Quote:
A question I could use some help answering.

When going from a computer to a DAC via USB I can see where a higher quality USB cable would come into play to help get audio quality high.  The guys at W4S swear by it.  My question is related somewhat in that would a higher quality USB cable help audio quality if I am connecting a USB drive but only transfering files?  I'm asking as I'd like to optimize the HDD connection to my Bryston BDP-1.

The PureMusic guys recommend to use a firewire or ESATA HDD interface if using a USB connection for your DAC if possible, they only want a USB HDD connection if using optical or coax directly out of the sound card.

Quote:
I have the DAC going 24/7 so it should be there toward the end of this week.

Right now I am ripping CD's I own to WAV as a test.  Then I'm going to rip tham to FLAC and compare.  My inclination now is to rip my physical collection as WAV, and then buy the highest resolution possible and not convert to WAV but leave it as it is sold.

Why did you pick WAV over AIFF?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back